NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-16-2017, 08:18 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Any prewar player collectors??

#1 Since getting into prewar, I have found I like A LOT of prewar issues...especially the E cards. The Obaks are a ton of fun for me, and I will probably always collect them, but I am drawn to many, many other sets.

#2 I am on a budget and not looking to complete sets but would like a taste of several.

#3 If aspects of #1 and #2 fit you, have you turned to player collecting to make it happen?

#4 I find myself drawn to Lajoie. He was quite a player and manages to show up on some cool cards in some attractive sets but manages to be reasonably affordable, all things considered.

#5 I am thinking collecting him would give me the opportunity to collect some nice fronts and backs of a player who was significant and allow me to own cards from many different prewar sets. I will still collect Obaks, but this would allow me to branch out.

Anyone else taken an approach like this??
Old 07-16-2017, 08:30 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

I've been really big into prewar (for me anyways) for about two years now. I'm somewhat of a budget but actually do like working on sets. I agree with you on Lajoie; very affordable despite his caliber. The one player I seem to somewhat focus on more than others is Matty. Very affordable but probably not as a great of a value of Lajoie, IMO, given the large number of cards Matty was featured in. I just enjoy collecting his cards for some reason and by doing so I have bought cards from sets I unlikely would not have otherwise. So I think ol' Nap can do the same thing for you!
Old 07-16-2017, 08:45 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz View Post
I've been really big into prewar (for me anyways) for about two years now. I'm somewhat of a budget but actually do like working on sets. I agree with you on Lajoie; very affordable despite his caliber. The one player I seem to somewhat focus on more than others is Matty. Very affordable but probably not as a great of a value of Lajoie, IMO, given the large number of cards Matty was featured in. I just enjoy collecting his cards for some reason and by doing so I have bought cards from sets I unlikely would not have otherwise. So I think ol' Nap can do the same thing for you!
Tyler, I love the idea of building sets, but there is a lot of ground I want to cover and I don't want to sink the time and resources into any single set (except for my continued pursuit of the 1910 T212-2 Obaks). I kind of figure Napoleon will help me travel around prewar, so to speak the way Matty does for you (great choice by the way ). I won't necessarily limit myself to Lajoie. I will pick up cards of other players I like in certain sets. Bottom line, is that this is really fun! Collecting has become so much more fun for me the last few months!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2017, 08:54 PM
Mike

Default Sideways set collecting

For whatever reason, I've always been attracted to T207, falling on the love side in the familiar "love it or hate it" feel people have with the set. One of the ideas I've toyed with is to put some meat into the general collection by collecting the other cards of the various T207 players - some of whom are a little obscure. A bunch of the smaller-name folks in T207 show up in various other sets, especially in the PCL world, namely both in the Obaks and Zeenuts. Weaving together the set of cards for folks that pass through T207 (or any) set gives it a different feel - you can explore it in so many ways ... player/team/minor-league team/etc...

A great idea, IMO, no matter how you tackle it. As others have said, collect what you like, how you like it. Being on a budget makes it all the more rewarding, especially when/if you're able to swing something you thought was out of reach.

Good luck!
--
Mike
Old 07-16-2017, 09:00 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
#1 Since getting into prewar, I have found I like A LOT of prewar issues...especially the E cards. The Obaks are a ton of fun for me, and I will probably always collect them, but I am drawn to many, many other sets.

#2 I am on a budget and not looking to complete sets but would like a taste of several.

#3 If aspects of #1 and #2 fit you, have you turned to player collecting to make it happen?

#4 I find myself drawn to Lajoie. He was quite a player and manages to show up on some cool cards in some attractive sets but manages to be reasonably affordable, all things considered.

#5 I am thinking collecting him would give me the opportunity to collect some nice fronts and backs of a player who was significant and allow me to own cards from many different prewar sets. I will still collect Obaks, but this would allow me to branch out.

Anyone else taken an approach like this??

I not only collect T205 Cubs and T207 Cubs but I also collect Elmer Miller of the 1921 and 1922 Yankees. He is a distant relative of mine ( great great uncle) and was the first Yankee to get a hit and score a run in a World Series. Have cards and original type 1 photos from his playing days.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:03 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

At some point I can see myself starting a Germany Schaefer collection. Such an interesting guy.

Tom C

Last edited by btcarfagno; 07-16-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:08 PM
Gary McNabb

Default Team / Type collecting

I enjoy collecting just one team....NY Americans, Highlanders, Yankees, all Pre-war. I try on certain cards to put together team sets, also on some back runs and when I can all different card types that were issued. The fun is on the hunt, the history of the team also the type.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151843924@N04/albums
Old 07-17-2017, 08:35 AM
Kyle May

Grover Hartley is my Pre-War player I collect. He was the manager for the minor league team my grandpa and uncle each played for respectively.

Here is the Baseball Reference page. Donald May is my grandpa. My uncle played in 1939.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...gi?id=170780ce

Hartley has 7-9 (his T207 supposedly has different backs) Pre War cards. I have 2 of them at the moment.

Additionally, I am planning on doing a raw Gene Woodling Post-War basic collection (not sure if it would count as a master set), because he played against my grandpa in 1940, and went on to have a pretty successful career in the MLB. I might even buy them slabbed by PSA for their set registry.

As far as your collection goes, I will say this. I, like you, wanted everything. Haha. Pre-War sets are so cool and in many cases, very large. It's nearly impossible to collect EVERYTHING (as I am finding out), and Pre-War collecting goals often change (again, as I am finding out). My advice would be to collect a player who is very liquid. If you have no personal connection with Lajoie, my guess is you'll eventually want to change your Pre-War collecting focus at least once. A player like Lajoie is liquid enough to move pretty quickly, and if you buy them at good deals, you can even profit a bit.

Good luck and enjoy!

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 07-17-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:02 AM
Tim Newcomb

Default Different sort of player set

Having always been fascinated with obscure sets, my approach is different - I collect examples of as many different players as I can. This benefits my budget in that I'm looking mostly for commons. I keep something I call the "Alphabetical Master List" which is currently up to about 2200 players (MLB and minor league) whose prewar cards I have.

I also keep a wantlist of players, and there are some real toughies there. Anybody know where I can find a 1926 Exhibit Ramon Herrera, a Star Player Candy Garland Buckeye, an M101-6 George Dumont, or a Voskamp's Coffee Everett Booe?
Old 07-17-2017, 09:36 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

"As far as your collection goes, I will say this. I, like you, wanted everything. Haha. Pre-War sets are so cool and in many cases, very large. It's nearly impossible to collect EVERYTHING (as I am finding out), and Pre-War collecting goals often change (again, as I am finding out). My advise would be to collect a player who is very liquid. If you have no personal connection with Lajoie, my guess is you'll eventually want to change your Pre-War collecting focus at least once. A player like Lajoie is liquid enough to move pretty quickly, and if you buy them at good deals, you can even profit a bit."

I hear ya on that. Lajoie might not necessarily be my choice on every single set but would be on most. Every set has one or two must haves because of the particular pose or whatever reason. This idea just helps gives me a concrete way of moving through a variety of cool looking sets...many of which I might not have otherwise known about. Another result could be that I run across a particular group of cards that I especially like and can afford. Also, I will always have my Obak obsession to fall back on..LOL!

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 07-17-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Lajoie might not necessarily be my choice on every single set but would be on most. Every set has one or two must haves because of the particular pose or whatever reason.
Good choice on Lajoie. I have always thought that Lajoie, in general, has particularly nice poses in the sets he is in. I consider him very 'cardogenic'.

Brian
Old 07-17-2017, 11:34 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Good choice on Lajoie. I have always thought that Lajoie, in general, has particularly nice poses in the sets he is in. I consider him very 'cardogenic'.

Brian
Thanks, I agree!

Old 07-17-2017, 02:25 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

After realizing that 'taming the monster' was never going to be possible for me, I have concentrated on specific players: The First Five, Smoky Joe, and Cliff Blankenship (1st local in Majors).

I recently felt a financial pinch and let a Ruth go...hope that never happens again.

I also collect Game Cards which I have found to be an affordable option in high grade.

I have only one Nap Lajoie - the 1913 Game Card in Red graded PSA-9.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 07-17-2017, 02:53 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
After realizing that 'taming the monster' was never going to be possible for me, I have concentrated on specific players: The First Five, Smoky Joe, and Cliff Blankenship (1st local in Majors).

I recently felt a financial pinch and let a Ruth go...hope that never happens again.

I also collect Game Cards which I have found to be an affordable option in high grade.

I have only one Nap Lajoie - the 1913 Game Card in Red graded PSA-9.
I hear you on "the monster. " It's not that I am anti T206. I simply have been wary of getting sucked in. There are too many other issues I like. However, focusing on a player allows me to sample it along with many other issues. I chose Lajoie, and I just love the Lajoie portrait! That may well be where I start with Napoleon.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:52 PM
Val Kehl

I mostly collect cards of specific players and type cards, and I am thrilled when I am able to "kill two focuses with one card." The pre-War players I collect are ALL that played on the 1924 Washington Senators team, with special emphasis on WaJo and Sam Rice. By including the team owner & GM (Clark Griffith), I am able to start with the Old Judges when Griffith was a player and go all the way to the early 1950's Bowmans when Bucky Harris, the "Boy Wonder" player-manager of the 1924 champion Senators, was still managing in the American League. To me, this is much more interesting and satisfying than set collecting.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:52 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Quote:
Originally Posted by frohme View Post
For whatever reason, I've always been attracted to T207, falling on the love side in the familiar "love it or hate it" feel people have with the set. One of the ideas I've toyed with is to put some meat into the general collection by collecting the other cards of the various T207 players - some of whom are a little obscure. A bunch of the smaller-name folks in T207 show up in various other sets, especially in the PCL world, namely both in the Obaks and Zeenuts. Weaving together the set of cards for folks that pass through T207 (or any) set gives it a different feel - you can explore it in so many ways ... player/team/minor-league team/etc...

A great idea, IMO, no matter how you tackle it. As others have said, collect what you like, how you like it. Being on a budget makes it all the more rewarding, especially when/if you're able to swing something you thought was out of reach.

Good luck!
--
Mike
There is something hauntingly beautiful about the T207 set. For some reason it just kind of "takes you back" to that era better than any other set. The lack of big names makes it even more interesting to me. The mystery of Irving Lewis (no one's even really sure who he was is my understanding) and the eerie but lovable Lowdermilk card make it ATC's most unique set IMO. For some reason I always want to listen to impressionist music when looking at the cards (favorite seems to be Erik Satie's Nocturnes). No other card set brings out such eccentricities for me lol.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:08 AM

I collect players from my hometown of Kearny, NJ. There aren't many, Dots Miller, Ownie Carroll, Jack Tighe, Sam Dente. There are some more recent players, but I don't collect them yet.

Miller is of course the most popular here because he's in some of the bigger pre-war sets. I have most of his cards, skipping out on some sets if the only difference is the back. Other than that, I pick up random stuff that shows up like photos, signed postcards, World Series worn uniform, pins, just basically anything from that period.

Caroll is surprisingly tough to find stuff for, seeing as he played nine seasons in the majors. I believe he is only in six sets and I'm not sure when I'll see a 1928 Star Candy for him, so it might be awhile before I get anything else for his collection.

I also collect complaints about the sorting facility in town
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 07-18-2017, 06:28 PM
Cory

I collect Addie Joss cards. I have most with most variations. Still missing a couple of the toughies.
Cory
Old 07-18-2017, 08:14 PM
Ron Rice

Default Collecting players

I collect a lot of different pre-war sets and type cards, especially 1907-1915. You inspired me to figure out which players I have the most of:

McGraw
Harry Davis
Cobb
Bender
Marquard
Chance
George Mullin
Tinker
Tommy Leach
Bob Bescher
Larry Doyle
Red Dooin

I have at least 10 cards of each of these. Interesting thread!
Old 07-18-2017, 08:22 PM
Kenny

I collect Zach Wheat because he was born in my hometown. I have been collecting Zach for about 30 years. He appeared on a lot so stuff so I'm always looking for stuff I don't have . I enjoy the silks, pins, stamps, discs, blankets, die cuts etc. Like all the different card issues such as tobacco, candy, bakery, strip, Canadian. Enjoy collecting wire photos with Zach , with teammates, with opponents etc. Collect minor league items, major league with the Dodgers and A's, and post major league with Minneapolis Millers. Also love Wheat autographs on cards, balls, letters, checks etc. Really enjoy game used items, trophies, plaques, platters, old timer game gifts.