NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 02-25-2015, 06:14 PM
pete ullman

Default Josh Hamilton...is he done?

Anyone know what trouble Hamilton is in now?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...211645910.html
Old 02-25-2015, 08:06 PM
Brian B

One rumor I read josh had a relapse involving cocaine.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:11 AM
Tom

Is he done? The real question is did he begin?
Old 02-26-2015, 12:24 PM
Jay Shelton

He had several really good years for the Texas Rangers, including an MVP year, and was in the All-Star game every year; many surmise that his rash of injuries, especially of late, could be due to the drug abuse he engaged in early in his career. He was starting to show signs of breaking down the last year or so with the Rangers, and he has been far from productive as an Angel.

Is he done? I think so. Did he ever start? Of course, with the Rangers....
Old 02-26-2015, 12:29 PM

He's also 34 now, so you have to factor that in. I hope he's not finished because he's always been a nice guy with the fans and seems to really appreciate what he has.

I don't see how you could question his ability though. When he did play, he averaged 32 homers, 112 rbis and .292 average over 162 games. Pretty solid performance, though brief.

Last edited by packs; 02-26-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:09 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

If it is a relapse, especially in the severity of his case before, it would be nice to see people treat it properly as a disease and be supportive of him.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:49 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

I feel bad for the guy. His addiction got the better of him, but I hope he's able to bounce back. However, as stated above, he IS 34 and he has not had a 'great' season in two years.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:00 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Yes, he is done...I would be shocked if he recovers and becomes a player half what he used to be...

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 02-27-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:20 PM
Luis

I think he is done, but I wish him well. He just hasn't been as explosive and engaged the last few years. Usually injuries make a story for what could of been, but in this case it's drugs in his early years as well as now in his mid thirties.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
If it is a relapse, especially in the severity of his case before, it would be nice to see people treat it properly as a disease and be supportive of him.
+1
Old 02-28-2015, 07:55 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I have an aunt who has struggled with alcoholism and mental illness. In the decade-plus that I've been aware of what was going on (I'm 20, so it didn't register when I was younger) I've noticed that she oscillates between stretches of sobriety and drunkenness, and that the trend has been for her sober time to decrease while the length and severity of her drinking spells increases. Hopefully Hamilton can turn it around, but I would not be surprised to hear more stories like this in the future.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:43 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Thumbs up

It's a sad day for all the fans, but worse for Hamilton and his family.

We will always remember the incredible Round 1 he had in Yankee Stadium!

- and the 4 HR game!

Yes, he's had a living hell with substance abuse, but there has never been anyone saying that his performance on the field wasn't genuine.

I'll always be more inclined to forgive someone whose weaknesses bring him into jeopardy - rather than someone who consciously puts the integrity of the game in jeopardy.

It does seem troublesome that he has relapses when he's away from the game - which probably provides the structure he needs to avoid his demons.

However, as fans, we should pray for him....not especially to return to the game, but to straighten out his life.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 03-03-2015, 04:11 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

This guy is one of the two or three most talented guys ever to enter in the Majors IMO. Ironically, A-Rod would be one of my others. Hamilton is obviously battling a lot of demons, I do wish him well. Bottom line, since that huge contact with the Angels, he has pretty much been a bust.....
Old 03-04-2015, 08:55 AM
Tom Boblitt

Shows the depths that drugs can take you to though....he has a beautiful wife and kids I think.....great job....tons of money.....and still the lure gets him. Hopefully he can get the help he needs and have a support structure that keeps him moving forward.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:50 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
While I agree in principle they need to be careful about the precedent they set with whatever the arbitrators decide. If it were someone more villified than Hamilton, would the public be OK with rehab and treatment over a suspension. That's not the talk I was hearing when it concerned A-Rod last year. They have to be consistent in the application of their rules, now and going forward, so this could be a potentially sticky situation.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:08 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
While I agree in principle they need to be careful about the precedent they set with whatever the arbitrators decide. If it were someone more villified than Hamilton, would the public be OK with rehab and treatment over a suspension. That's not the talk I was hearing when it concerned A-Rod last year. They have to be consistent in the application of their rules, now and going forward, so this could be a potentially sticky situation.
ARod does not suffer with addiction. He was just looking for an edge over growing old. There can be NO comparison and the disciplinary action taken by MLB should come from a completely different place. One is sick, the other, a cheat.

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 03-11-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:30 PM

I think playing baseball can only help Hamilton. His demons seem to eat at him when he's not playing baseball. So I would caution MLB over banning him.

There seems to be some type of trigger involved with his family. If I remember correctly, the last time he relapsed it was also due to a fight with his wife. I don't know anything about Hamilton's family life. But it seems like something there is triggering his relapses.

Last edited by packs; 03-11-2015 at 08:56 PM.