NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-04-2011, 09:30 PM

Default Heritage Platinum Auction

I have just one thing to say.

Holy Shit!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Jon Canfield

+1
Old 08-04-2011, 09:55 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Yes. Yes.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:53 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Highest Lots: http://reports.heritageauctions.com/.../Sale-7037.pdf
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 08-04-2011, 11:09 PM

WOW !!! More beer must have been flowing in that theatre than at the Steve Miller Band concert that I was at in a theatre downtown !!!

Old 08-05-2011, 04:53 AM

Default Heritage Platinum Auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
I have just one thing to say.

Holy Shit!
Bad economy, what bad economy? LOL

This just further illustrates the point that when extreme high-quality, early baseball treasures enter our hobby, there are elite collectors that are willing to pay absolute moon money to add them to their collections.

I don't know about the rest of you, but after looking at this auction catalogue I felt this was perhaps the strongest offering since the Halper Auction. WOW!
Old 08-05-2011, 07:51 AM

Goes to show how important provenance is, especially with the Gehrig items.

Very impressive. Heritage making a name for themselves in the sports auction arena.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Scott

I guess IM the jealous type, but how can people afford this stuff? Those pieces are AWESOME< but the prices seem RIDICULOUS too. Still, Great baseball memorabilia, especially of the greatest of the great, w top provenance, is like the best investment around, and simply fantastic to own
Old 08-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Tony N.

Default Black Betsy

Is anyone surprised by what the Shoeless Joe Jackson Bat ended at - $537K?

I know that's a lot of money, but I thought it may have went closer to $750K?

Thoughts?

Tony
Old 08-05-2011, 11:00 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by e107collector View Post
Is anyone surprised by what the Shoeless Joe Jackson Bat ended at - $537K?

I know that's a lot of money, but I thought it may have went closer to $750K?

Thoughts?

Tony
I wasn't sure what would happen in light of the questions that were raised on this site and others about calling that particular bat "Black Betsy." But it sure would be nice to have a bat that was bequeathed by Joe Jackson.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:14 PM

Default Incredible jersey prices

I was stunned by the prices for the top two jerseys. The fact that we have 2 non Ruth jerseys over 500k is an incredible day. If we had a world where buyers could have comfort on big ticket jerseys without golden provenance, it would help all.
Heritage is really on a roll. I have bid and bought from them and they have been a class act.
I was a bit surprised the Musial did not go a bit higher.
Dan
Old 08-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Robert Williams

I am not 100% convinced with that particular bat being dubbed THE "Black Betsy".....I would wager a heavy sum, that it was NOT the fabled bat.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Robert Williams

PS - I wouldn't be surprised if within the next 15-20 years, a bat with a stronger claim to the moniker "Black Betsy" pops up, and the selling auction house touts it as such. Then what would happen to the value and bat that Heritage auctioned off?? I would hate to be that guy!!! But he would have good company (ie, Billy Crystal), as far as that goes.....
Old 08-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Jonathan Scheier

Let me begin by saying thank you for all the kind words about our auction. Obviously we were very pleased (though not particularly surprised) by the very strong results. Not only was the material first rate, to put it mildly, but our marketing department did a fantastic job of promoting the auction. Their biggest coup was a full page article in Tuesday's New York Times about The Lou Gehrig Collection, but we got press all over the place which brought some very serious new bidders to the auction, including some international heavy hitters garnered from considerable foreign press coverage. And, of course, our catalog designers crafted a true masterpiece--I doubt a single copy will end up in the trash. Thursday night was definitely a thrilling conclusion to a lot of hard work by a lot of people.

I certainly don't want to come off as defensive, but I did want to address the Black Betsy question. I've been working in sports auctions exclusively for twelve years and the bat has some of the strongest provenance I've ever encountered. You have numerous sources discussing the unusual curve of the Black Betsy. You have photos of Jackson with the bat. There are newspaper articles dating over decades. There is the will, and the letter from the heir. The notion that Jackson saved two very distinctively curved bats with early Spalding imprints for over four decades but that he and his family only acknowledged the existence of one seems astronomically improbable. We all know that PSA/DNA doesn't throw around GU 10 grades without good reason. Any smart collector knows that a little skepticism is a good thing, but this is evidence even the OJ and Casey Anthony jurors couldn't ignore. In other words, we'll take that "heavy sum" action. I'll be looking to retire in twenty years.
Heritage Auctions (www.HA.com)
JonathanS@HA.com
1-800-872-6467 X1314

Consign to auction at http://sports.ha.com/consign

Connect with Heritage at http://sports.HA.com/Connect
Old 08-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Robert Williams

I wouldn't be so quick to jump on that "action" Johnathan. Whoever made Mr. Crystal whole for that glove he bought?!?! Or is that money just thrown down the drain? I understand your belief that the bat was "indeed" Black Betsy, and I understand your conviction, and you job position forces you to believe that position. Don't think what I said will never happen though. It is more likely to happen than not.....
Old 08-06-2011, 06:17 PM

delete

Last edited by packs; 08-06-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Robert Williams

You didn't have to 'delete' your post packs!! You spoke the truth, and had the courage to post what others are thinking. I definitely wondered why they there is no mention whatsoever when faced with conflicting info!
Old 08-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Dan Bretta

I also think the post Packs made didn't need to be deleted. I was thinking the exact same thing.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:47 AM
Robert Williams

Bottom line, I am not doubting that this bat was once owned by and used by Joe Jackson. I have no doubt that it was given to a family member and I respect the paper trail that makes this more than a $12 flea market bat, like someone else said it is worth if it didn't have the paper trail. I am doubting that this was "Black Betsy". Mr. Jackson had numerous bats, all of them given names. In addition to Black Betsy, there was a Blonde Betsy, Caroliny, Lil Genril, Dixie, etc. The family member was bequeathed "a bat". How do we know this is not "Dixie", his most used bat? Surely Joe would have kept around his most used bat his entire life! Jackson only used "Black Betsy" in dire situations. Joe believed that bats had a certain number of "hits" in their life, and once he went into a slump, he thought the bat was "used up" and he discarded the bat, except for "Black Betsy", which he thought had special powers. Therefore, whoever bought the Joe Jackson bat on Aug 4, did indeed buy a "Joe Jackson" bat. Calling it "Black Betsy", unless you are God yourself, brings rise to doubt in my eyes. For all I know, Mr. Jackson was buried with the bat down in Greenville SC. He thought that the bat had special powers, so it wouldn't surprise me if a man from the South would be buried with it. He needed something to play the game with in Heaven. But then again, maybe he isn't? To make a long story short, a Heritage customer paid alot of money for a Joe Jackson bat. Which one? Who knows.....

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 08-07-2011 at 05:57 AM.