NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-05-2013, 07:09 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Default Steiner Sports Auction Was a Huge Help With An Item I "Won"

I tend to post threads that are sometimes critical of auction houses and the things they do that I disagree with.

I rarely give acknowledgement to the "good ones". I have had great experiences and enjoy working with Robert Edward Auctions, SCP, Lelands and others.

I didn't have experience with Steiner Sports Auctions until this week. They had an item I really wanted in their huge internet auction. I'm sure most of you saw the Jackie Robinson glove that went for 373,000?

Anyway, they had a very rare 1938 Yankee ring, belonging to George Weiss. What made this ring so special (as if any 1938 ring was not special and the last world series Lou Gehrig played in) was that it was in incredible condition. So many 14K rings from the 1930's (now, 80 years old) are so worn down, they look awful and the value drops significantly if you can't read the top and sides of the ring.

This ring was in amazing condition, had the original and proper markings, and belonged to George Weiss who was not a player but is in the Baseball HOF for all of the great work he did with the Yankees during the 1930's and 40's.

I wound up being the high bidder when the auction was over. However, the ring did not reach the minimum and the Steiner auction was great with full disclosure that my high-bid was below the reserve.

The auction director, Barry Valentino, contacted me and asked me if I was still interested in the ring. Barry, was very polite, professional, and reasonable and did not make me feel that my petty bid was insulting. Barry actually thought the reserve was too high and that he would discuss my offer to the consigner.

Well within a day, the consigner and I comprised, and found middle ground. I am thrilled to have such an amazing piece of sports history and I want to thank Barry Valentino for putting this deal together. I have been high bidder before and not heard a peep from an auction house when the reserve was not met.

Thank you Barry!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00269401.jpg (24.2 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg 00269403.jpg (67.3 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg 00269404.jpg (42.2 KB, 236 views)
Old 06-05-2013, 07:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Congratulations Michael. Thanks for sharing a "good" story too. It's always nice to hear of an auction house going above and beyond.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:06 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

That's good to hear. It's about time that these auction houses started operating like regular businesses (who actually value the consumer). So many of them lack basic communication and business skills.

And congrats on getting the Ring... What a beautiful and important piece!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:18 PM

What a beautiful ring! Congrats! Great to hear the auction house worked with everyone to make it happy for everybody!

Ricky Y
Old 06-06-2013, 03:57 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

thanks!

Perhaps there's a lessen in there for other auction houses.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:42 AM
Christopher Williams

Great story, Michael, and congratulations to a nice addition to your collection.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:10 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Great Ring Michael! Glad you were able to reach a compromise!
Old 06-06-2013, 07:43 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

A world series ring from a hall of famer doesn't get much better.