NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Default Gene Handley Passes....RIP

Posted By: Jason L

My (distant) cousin, Eugene L. Handley died this past April 12th, at the age of 94. There was a very very brief obit posted in the Tucson newspaper, that did not elaborate on nearly any details of the man, which was disappointing, so I thought I post a little something here, if that is alright. A sincere thank you, in advance.

I wish I could say that I knew him, but with family dyanamics being what they are, busy schedules, and his age already rather advanced when I learned how to contact him, my immediate family and I did not have any direct meaningful contact with him. I have met and been in contact recently with others closer to him, and that has been fun and rewarding, and I hope it continues. In fact, my website has served to make this possible in some cases as family members have reached out.

At any rate, from what I know of him, Gene lived a very long life, and he got as much out of it as anyone could probably hope. I had heard from one of our other cousins that he was the most popular guy in his retirement home for a period of years, even remarrying at the age of 91!

More on-topic to this Board, Gene lived a very long life in baseball as well. He was one of the top 20 oldest living former MLB players. He was a fixture infielder in the PCL, making it to the majors in 1946 and 47, with the A's. He was a scout for my beloved Chicago Cubs for 56 years, and was routinely considered one of the best, even winning the Scout of the Year Award for the West division in 1990. One of his discoveries that I recall was Steve Trachsel.

I have done quite a bit of research on he and his brother Lee Handley, who also played MLB. I also collect any of their memorabilia that I can find, and it is one of my great interests to study the game from the focused perspective of one or two players. The history of the game is revealed in new and intriguing fashion, as compared to studying a team, or league history.

I have begun to share what I have compiled on a series of pages within my website, if you are interested. I am only scratching the surface there, as I have not had the time to write and share everything I have learned, or even all the pics I have accumulated. Here's the site, if you have an interest. If you have any stories, info, pics, cards or other items of Gene Handley or Lee Handley that you would like to share, I am always interested in seeing scans or communicating!
http://www.thetriple-l.com/thehandleyproject.htm

Rest in Peace, Gene. We'll see you someday, and I look forward to the stories.

[linked image]
[linked image]

Old 04-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Good stuff Jason--thanks for posting.

A scout for 56 years--wow!

Old 04-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

Gene was a scout for 54 years, not 56 as I had previously stated. But still...quite a long scouting career!

Old 04-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Jason,
please accept my deepest sympathy and condolences.
many thanks for sharing this biography of a truly great lover of the game who
committed his life to the betterment of this fine sport.

barry

Old 04-29-2009, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Kind regards to his family. Obviously, a man who knew baseball.

Respectfully,

Frank W.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

Jason: Sorry to hear of your loss but he certainly had a very full life
doing what he loved. I lived in Burbank,California in the 1950's and saw him play with the Hollywood Stars many times. Dale Long was my favorite player and in 1953 you could usually depend on seeing Gene Handley and Dale Long in almost every game.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: whitehse

I had the opportunity to meet Mr Handley on one occasion when I worked for the Chicago Cubs and he came in for the yearly scouting meetings. While I would be lying if I said I had a meaningful conversation with him, I did get to shake his hand and he seemed like a really nice man. A grandfatherly type person who I thought was genuinly a nice guy!! I am sure he will be missed

Old 05-01-2009, 06:18 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Gene handley

JASON

I'm very sorry to hear of the passing of your cousin, Gene Handley.

May GOD Bless his soul and comfort his family.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

TED Z
Old 05-01-2009, 08:46 AM

-

Last edited by Vintagedegu; 08-21-2014 at 02:31 PM.