NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-08-2023, 07:22 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default All I see is TRIM!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
The overwhelming majority of high grade vintage cards are altered, without question. Marshal Fogel's entire collection, just about, has been trimmed or was cut from a sheet. His MBA black diamond 52T Mantle PSA 10 is almost certainly sheet cut.
Not saying you’re wrong, but would be interested in a bit more evidence to back that claim up? How specifically do you know that his PSA 10 ‘52 Mantle (there are 2 others that Fogel doesn’t own…) is trimmed? I would agree that a card like that in a 10 is suspect if nothing else - but this is the first accusation I’ve seen on that particular card.

Sheet cut, trimmed or not - Fogel’s collection is pretty insane. It kills me how he shuffles his slabs around like playing cards, no sleeves. I bet they are all scratched to hell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 05-08-2023 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:57 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Not saying you’re wrong, but would be interested in a bit more evidence to back that claim up? How specifically do you know that his PSA 10 ‘52 Mantle (there are 2 others that Fogel doesn’t own…) is trimmed? I would agree that a card like that in a 10 is suspect if nothing else - but this is the first accusation I’ve seen on that particular card.

Sheet cut, trimmed or not - Fogel’s collection is pretty insane. It kills me how he shuffles his slabs around like playing cards, no sleeves. I bet they are all scratched to hell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mr Fogel’s Collection is Top Notch Insane ! I would assume he could get all his cards gratis reholdered at any time he desires.
Old 05-08-2023, 11:43 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

I don't have any first hand knowledge or anything like that. It's just my opinion based on how I believe most of these vintage 10s come to market and the likelihood that a card that perfect ever came from a pack. Anything is possible, but far more sheet cut cards make their way into PSA slabs than most people think.
Old 05-09-2023, 04:10 AM

Quote:
I don't have any first hand knowledge or anything like that. It's just my opinion based on how I believe most of these vintage 10s come to market and the likelihood that a card that perfect ever came from a pack. Anything is possible, but far more sheet cut cards make their way into PSA slabs than most people think.

I agree that many very high grade, pre war cards have likely been altered. But it’s not just high grade cards. How about perfectly centered 52 Topps Robinsons? If those are so tough to find centered, I wonder how many of the ones that are centered are that way unnaturally. Surely high grade cards are not the only altered cards sitting in slabs….

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 05-09-2023 at 04:12 AM.
Old 05-09-2023, 06:34 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
I don't disagree that certainly some high end vintage / important cards are either sheet cut or altered or otherwise at least have some history of monkey business in their past. But I would find it hard to believe that a majority of Fogel's stuff - almost all marquee cards in 8's and higher - had sheets with those cards available to cut from. Goudey Ruths? The entire 1914 and '15 Cracker Jack sets? Again, yes I'm sure some are altered but I don't know that I'd bet on a "majority" of them being sheet cut. Some just trimmed or subtly altered? Much more likely.

Last edited by jchcollins; 05-09-2023 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-09-2023, 08:38 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I agree that many very high grade, pre war cards have likely been altered. But it’s not just high grade cards. How about perfectly centered 52 Topps Robinsons? If those are so tough to find centered, I wonder how many of the ones that are centered are that way unnaturally. Surely high grade cards are not the only altered cards sitting in slabs….
All grades of cards are altered. I have sold a lot of cards graded Authentic to 3s that magically resurfaced one or two grades higher in new slabs that have had work done to them.
Old 05-09-2023, 09:36 AM
J@E R1T0

I don't think it will ever happen again, but suppose we all only purchased cards in person, upon inspection, like in days days pre-internet.

You want a card, so you determine its condition, whether or not its altered, and whether or not you even care! Each dealer has a light and a magnifier available and together you decide the sales price. What would the TPGs do if we all decided to simply decide for ourselves? Then again, I'm sure some would feel intimidated by the prospect of not having an independent opinion.

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.
Old 05-09-2023, 09:46 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Ball-Hitter View Post
I don't think it will ever happen again, but suppose we all only purchased cards in person, upon inspection, like in days days pre-internet.

You want a card, so you determine its condition, whether or not its altered, and whether or not you even care! Each dealer has a light and a magnifier available and together you decide the sales price. What would the TPGs do if we all decided to simply decide for ourselves? Then again, I'm sure some would feel intimidated by the prospect of not having an independent opinion.
I wish the TPG’s would disappear, but rewinding time to before the internet is not even vaguely realistic.
Old 05-09-2023, 10:02 AM
pete ullman

Quote:

nice pipe dream! the tpg'ers have enabled the commoditization of our beloved cards...this is what the present hobby wants.
Old 05-09-2023, 12:46 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:

Yup... better days for sure. Sure wish it could go that route, but the greed and current level of TPG hypnosis will never allow it to happen.

If TPGs have to be involved, I wish there was a grading company that would treat cards like they do vintage photos (meaning no number grades). The categories could be...

Type 1: Authentic and Unaltered
Type 2: Authentic but Altered
Type 3: Reprint
Type 4: Counterfeit, Fantasy, etc.

This way, the card's owner could decide the grade himself! Some collectors care more about centering than others. Some care more about crease-free cards. Some aren't bothered by worn corners. So who deemed the 3rd party's standards as the "Word of God", and why are there such huge variances in grades 1 - 3, but only microscopic variances in grades 7 - 10? Why isn't the scale even throughout?

Of course this Type 1 - 4 scenario would require an unbiased TPG that is capable of detecting alteration. And yes, I know it will never happen.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 05-09-2023, 12:55 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I wish the TPG’s would disappear, but rewinding time to before the internet is not even vaguely realistic.
Agreed. I started collecting in 1986, and by the time I learned some rudimentary things about the cards that came before me - and almost immediately started pining for vintage cards of HOF'ers that I had no idea where to find - I realized that you were at the mercy of whatever shop or show you could get to that might be somewhat proximate to your physical location. Both with baseball cards (including many that turned out to not be rare at all...) and even non-sport things like Garbage Pail Kids (you'll excuse me, I was 8 in 1985...) in some cases I looked for certain things for YEARS before the internet.

The physical only days I'm sure had their benefits, but the market as a whole for many things - including old cards - was in many cases very poorly allocated before the internet. I found online auctions as a junior in college in 1998 or so, and almost immediately picked up some cards I had desired for what seemed like forever, but had never found. I remember a '53 Topps Yogi Berra was one of them.

While I assume that comment was meant to be wistful / kidding, I have no desire to go back to an era where the only option to get cards is if you do it in person. Don't get me wrong, I prefer to buy in person if at all possible. But the selection based on what we know is possible in the 21st century now would probably be pretty disappointing across the board.

Last edited by jchcollins; 05-09-2023 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-09-2023, 01:08 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Agreed. I started collecting in 1986, and by the time I learned some rudimentary things about the cards that came before me - and almost immediately started pining for vintage cards of HOF'ers that I had no idea where to find - I realized that you were at the mercy of whatever shop or show you could get to that might be somewhat proximate to your physical location. Both with baseball cards (including many that turned out to not be rare at all...) and even non-sport things like Garbage Pail Kids (you'll excuse me, I was 8 in 1985...) in some cases I looked for certain things for YEARS before the internet.

The physical only days I'm sure had their benefits, but the market as a whole for many things - including old cards - was in many cases very poorly allocated before the internet. I found online auctions as a junior in college in 1998 or so, and almost immediately picked up some cards I had desired for what seemed like forever, but I had never found. I remember a '53 Topps Yogi Berra was one of them.

While I assume that comment was meant to be wistful / kidding, I have no desire to go back to an era where the only option to get cards is if you do it in person. Don't get me wrong, I prefer to buy in person if at all possible. But the selection based on what we know is possible in the 21st century now would probably be pretty disappointing across the board.
I missed the glory days of the hobby, I wish I could get things for 80’s prices! But at the same time, there is no way I’d have even the humble little collection I do have if I was restricted to local dealers, writing letters, and ads in hobby periodicals. So much of my favorite stuff in my collection hadn’t even been discovered then. Good and bad in every era, but among all the scams and frauds and incompetent hobby authorities, there’s a ton of good stuff. Unprecedented and easy access to everything, more known vintage cards than ever before, better quality and depth of research and knowledge. There’s much good.
Old 05-13-2023, 02:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1911 View Post
i missed the glory days of the hobby, i wish i could get things for 80’s prices! But at the same time, there is no way i’d have even the humble little collection i do have if i was restricted to local dealers, writing letters, and ads in hobby periodicals. So much of my favorite stuff in my collection hadn’t even been discovered then. Good and bad in every era, but among all the scams and frauds and incompetent hobby authorities, there’s a ton of good stuff. Unprecedented and easy access to everything, more known vintage cards than ever before, better quality and depth of research and knowledge. There’s much good.
+1