NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-08-2009, 01:29 AM

Default Can anyone ID this?

A buddy of mine asked if I could check with the experts here to see if anyone knows what this is:

if anyone has any info or even suggestions as to what it may be from, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2009, 04:48 AM
Barry Sloate

It looks to be mounted on a cardboard backing. Is that correct? Looks like a printed page from a book or guide, but tough to tell from a scan.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:34 AM
Mark T.

Default might be easier...

to view this way....the team is from my state of CT. By the looks of deterioration, it does seem to be a newspaper/paper article pasted on cardboard but hard to tell exactly unless you have it in your hand.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Dan Bretta

1888 Connecticut State League Champions. I don't think it's a newspaper cutout pasted to board, I think it was made that way by someone to be distributed. It survived, but it's barely breathing. Still a neat item.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Bob.T*th

Default Hope this helps

It appears to be some sort of photo of eleven men. Five of the men have moustaches. Nine of the men are wearing a cap. The man sitting on the far right in the middle row has a rather angry look about him. He also appears to have a vicious left. These men hail from someplace called "South Norwalk." Sorry. Couldn't help myself.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Shawn England

Hi Sean,

Found this cabinet photo in the Hunt auctions with one of the "Norwalk" players: "C. Larkin 2nd Base"

Perhaps this is of some help?

https://www.huntauctions.com/online/...um=5&lot_qual=
Old 06-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Dan Bretta

Nice find Shawn. Looks like the guy sitting in the front row at left.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:38 AM

Default Cigar Box

In my opinion, it looks as if the piece was once part of a cigar box; possibly the top that would flip open.

Last edited by asoriano; 06-08-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:26 PM

Default Thanks for the info, gang!

Thank you all for all of the help! I'll try to see if I can get more info about the backing and what not of the item. My guess was that it was some kind of locally distrubted cabinet item, but had no clue.

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2009, 01:44 PM

Default Title

In case no one else noticed, the chewed-up print along the top appears to read "Champions"

Brian
Old 06-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Alan Elefson

Hi-
Scanned below is what appears to be a very similar piece. I always assumed that this was a cutout from a yearbook pasted into a vintage frame (could have been done in the 1890s or the 1970s). Like yours, mine is falling apart. I prchased it for a dollar at a flea market in MA. a year or two ago.
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg November 9, 2008 (8).jpg (67.6 KB, 175 views)
Old 06-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Mark

I agree with Dan that the guy front left may be C. Larkin.

This is really an interesting photo - SABR has a minor league listing for Norwalk in the Conn State Lg for 1888, but no roster and no league standings.

There is a minor league listing for a Charles Larkin for the right time frame, but they don't list any teams for him.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:54 AM
Shawn England

Alan,

The picture you posted above... Is there any mark on the back as to the maker of the board? I have seen similar and some have a (sometimes) very faint seal impressed on the back.

Mark,

I agree that it is probably a match on the two cabinets photos "C. Larkin". I to noticed the SABR reports and had the same thoughts you had. What is very frustrating for me is that I am having a difficult time finding anything on this team (of which I did not think would be the case). I would think a team report with a roster is somewhere out there. Perhaps more research will eventually provide some answers.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Dan Bretta

The minor league database is far from complete and there are some errors...I've been documenting the changes that need to be made on the Lincoln teams and will turn that over to them when I am complete. They just need some help getting this thing as complete as is possible. There are also some things that need to be fixed...when you click on Lincoln it will come up with only 47 teams, but easily seen (by me) is that it's missing the teams from 1947-51. They are on there if you look through the Western League listings, but I'm not sure why they don't come up in a team search.

I'm sure finding a roster for the Norwalk, CT team would be a simple thing to do for someone who lives in Connecticut to just go to the historical society and scan through the newspapers from the Spring/Summer of 1877.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Mark

My views match Dan and Shawn.

The SABR minor league database is a work in progress and is weak in the 19thC. They are of course always looking for volunteers. Anyone who lives near Norwalk has a distinct advantage in figuring this one out. Rosters can be derived by going thru the contemporary sports news on micofilm. If you're lucky you might find a photo or more likely a woodcut.

Some small town papers are available on line - I'll have to check newspaperarchive.com and geneology bank.com to see if they have anything helpful here.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:46 PM
JEFF VER.RIER

Post / opinion no longer available

Last edited by JEFFV96MASTERS; 09-14-2013 at 06:12 PM.