NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-07-2013, 02:11 AM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

Default Balancing card fever with real life

I promised my wife a new living room floor (much needed). I bit the bullet and sold over $2k in cards which should be sufficient. That extra money has been weighing on me and I have weakened. She would kill me if she knew I've won $800+ in auctions the last week. I gotta make some more money. Is there a Card Collectors Anonymous?
Old 04-07-2013, 04:33 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I'm in touch with that emotion...Don't let it bother you. Just remember:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-07-2013 at 04:43 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:09 AM
Jimi

Do what I do and buy the furniture first....put yourself in the red and force yourself to have to sell cards within the month that the credit card bill is due.

I just bought the kids new bikes and an outdoor basketball hoop....all which wouldn't have happened without selling cards....and all things that will bring joy to the family, and not just me. In the end, it's worth it to me.
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 04-07-2013, 07:51 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Tell her isnt an investment for your future and your retirement!!!
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:58 AM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimivintage View Post
Do what I do and buy the furniture first....put yourself in the red and force yourself to have to sell cards within the month that the credit card bill is due.

I just bought the kids new bikes and an outdoor basketball hoop....all which wouldn't have happened without selling cards....and all things that will bring joy to the family, and not just me. In the end, it's worth it to me.
+1
Old 04-07-2013, 08:14 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadballfreaK View Post
I promised my wife a new living room floor (much needed). I bit the bullet and sold over $2k in cards which should be sufficient. That extra money has been weighing on me and I have weakened. She would kill me if she knew I've won $800+ in auctions the last week. I gotta make some more money. Is there a Card Collectors Anonymous?
Hello Ken! I have found great solitude and comfort in Net54. I now know that I am not alone in my journey to collect cards. To bring back fond memories of my childhood, as I would pull out my cards almost every night to look at them, study them, and know that they belonged to me. Does my wife understand my card collecting? No. She thinks I am nuts pulling out my small ( but nice ) collection to look at almost every night. Card collecting gives me peace of mind. And that is a small price to pay in a crazy world. So Ken, I have found that I am among friends who share the same symptoms as I. I hope I can speak for all, we are here for you Ken.

Advice is free, so here is mine. Find a Lumber Liquidators, and buy laminate flooring on close out. That should get you a new floor, AND free up about $200 MORE for you to spend for cards. Problem SOLVED! Wife gets a new floor ( happy wife, happy life ), and you can still buy cards.

Again Ken, we are here for you.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Mark Fox

In the past 6 weeks or so, I've ponied funds up for extensive exhaust work on my car for it to pass inspection and a new water heater for the house. Both of which impacted my "fun budget"...and just in time for the flood of spring auctions too, it seems all the auction houses have had auctions end over the past 6 weeks!

I did liquidate some of my collection, but only to necessitate the procurement of new items as my collection focus seems to be in a constant state of flux. And the thrill of the chase is 3/4 of the fun for me.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:41 AM

Default I hear ya!!

my car sucks, and the rest, but i'm to addicted to t206 freaks

i'm in the same boat
Old 04-07-2013, 09:54 AM
David Pierson
Banned

Wow! You guys actually have cars?
Old 04-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Sean Costello

Yes, I have a car. It's a 1996 Honda Civic with 337,000 miles on it, and yet I'm saving all my money to put towards the next REA auction.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadballfreaK View Post
Is there a Card Collectors Anonymous?
Hi, my name is Eric, and I'm addicted to cardboard...

Oh, wait. I thought this was Card Collectors Anonymous

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 04-07-2013, 05:25 PM
Ke.n K0hen

I have a different problem, opposite of most on his forum. I'm kind of sick of the hobby, at least certain aspects of it. I'd like to sell a large part of my collection and I don't really like having six figures tied up in it. Though I don't really have any pressing need for the money, I'm just too damn lazy to take steps to sell. So doing nothing is easier.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:28 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcohen View Post
I have a different problem, opposite of most on his forum. I'm kind of sick of the hobby, at least certain aspects of it. I'd like to sell a large part of my collection and I don't really like having six figures tied up in it. Though I don't really have any pressing need for the money, I'm just too damn lazy to take steps to sell. So doing nothing is easier.
If you really have a six figure collection you are wanting to part with, something tells me you'd have no problem finding a consignor/AH to come to your front door and pick it all up and sell it for you.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Jeff

I'm kind of sick of the hobby, at least certain aspects of it.

There's probably more of us than you think.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 04-07-2013, 06:02 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

The aspect I like the least are the grading companies. I buy raw before I buy graded, and I trust my eyes over theirs. Repeated all of the time on this site, buy the card not the holder.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

I started this thread mostly as a joke. I would never put cards above family, but I am often tempted to go crazy and I am over budget this month. Gonna have to thin some things out that I don't really NEED.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Brandon

what is this "real life" that everyone keeps talking about?