NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-06-2005, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Default graphics request: Tener Old Judge, 1883 H. Weekly BB grounds

Posted By: Howard W. Rosenberg

Good morning. I've been writing a series in books that in some way relate to Cap Anson and have gotten some neat help on graphics (usually scanned at 300 dpi), for which I am grateful. There are two images that continue to elude me:

1. a John Tener Old Judge card (preferably the image I've attached or something close to it). The attached image is 72 dpi and lacks strong contrast between his face and the background.

2. a Harper's Weekly 1883 graphic of the Chicago grounds. It's on the magazine’s Web site but with a so-called moire pattern.

I've attached images of both; I have a digital camera scan of the Harper's Weekly graphic, but would rather have a scanner scan.

If you've got a favorite 19th-century player, let me know and I can try to amuse you with stories I've come across.

Thanks for your possible help.

Howard W. Rosenberg

Old 12-06-2005, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Howard

This image of Tener is available in high res TIFF format from the American Memories site at the Library of Congress, in case you haven't seen it

Max

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/bbhtml/bbhome.html

Max

Old 12-06-2005, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Hi Max,

Good morning. Thanks so much for jumping in. Ah, I did previously snatch up that image, which I believe appears identically on this Web site:

http://www.deliafamily.net/BBCI/bbci.html

(you have to scroll through a few screens to get to the Tener image: first look for the 19th century tobacco icon, and then the icon for N172 icon)

I don’t have Photoshop handy, but I believe that the Library of Congress image is 72 dpi (as is the one on the deliafamily Web site, even though it looks big on a computer screen). I'd much rather have a 300 dpi one (as the image is not that sharp, in my opinion, plus I'm having a tough time seeing where Tener's face ends and where the background begins).

Regards,
Howard

Old 12-06-2005, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

Old 12-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Wow. Thanks, Tom. The sharpness on the throwing motion is so much better than on the image I had. Seeing an image of him that shows where his shoulder ends and the background starts is, well, neato.

Howard

Old 12-06-2005, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Howard

If you click at the bottom of the Tener image, you can get a very high resolution TIFF file, suitable for printing. I've attached here the tiny url for the Tener photo, hope it works:

http://tinyurl.com/bz5pq

Max

Old 12-07-2005, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the instructions, Max. The Library of Congress Web site had me confused about how to do a download.

Howard