NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 11-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Wayne Walker

Default HOF expansion era ballot

The ballot has been announced

http://baseballhall.org/news/press-r...ideration-2014

I think the three managers get in. I think Miller is deserving and feel he will get in this time. Steinbrenner sure had the "fame," but I don't think he gets the votes yet.

Any thoughts?

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 11-05-2013, 12:22 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I never got the whole Joe Torre manager thing. I watched him for over a decade manage the Mets, Braves, and Cards. IMHO, he couldn't manage an NL team if his life depended on it. All of a sudden, he is managing the Yanks with a young core of Jeter, Posada, Mo, and Pettite, mixed with Martinez, Williams, Wells, Cone, Fielder, Davis, Brosious, Boggs, Key, etc, etc. He wins 4WS in the first 5yrs and then none in the next 7 while having even more all time players added to his roster.
I guess winning 4 WS in 29yrs managing is pretty good, but I never felt that he got more out of his players than was expected and often got less. Interestingly, LaRussa took over in St L for Torre in 1996 and promptly won the division. The Cards went from 62-81 to 88-74 in one year without significant roster changes that I can recall.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 11-05-2013, 02:35 AM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
I never got the whole Joe Torre manager thing. I watched him for over a decade manage the Mets, Braves, and Cards. IMHO, he couldn't manage an NL team if his life depended on it. All of a sudden, he is managing the Yanks with a young core of Jeter, Posada, Mo, and Pettite, mixed with Martinez, Williams, Wells, Cone, Fielder, Davis, Brosious, Boggs, Key, etc, etc. He wins 4WS in the first 5yrs and then none in the next 7 while having even more all time players added to his roster.
I guess winning 4 WS in 29yrs managing is pretty good, but I never felt that he got more out of his players than was expected and often got less. Interestingly, LaRussa took over in St L for Torre in 1996 and promptly won the division. The Cards went from 62-81 to 88-74 in one year without significant roster changes that I can recall.
You speak the truth, and there are many who feel that anybody could have managed those Yankee teams. Torre does have a pretty damn good playing career going for him as well, and continues to contribute to the game from MLB offices.

On the flip side of this is the question of whether a manager who benefited from (and possibly accepted or even fostered) steroid usage should be put in while players under him are being held out. Of course, this is a different body of voters.

Interesting questions.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:04 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Default Ted Simmons

I have always had a soft spot for Simmons and the Hall because I think he got shafted when he was initially on the ballot. For that guy, as one of the greatest catchers in history, to get less than 5% his first year on the ballot was an absolute travesty.

That said, I don't really think he deserves to be in the Hall. I just wish he had gotten his due on the ballots in the first place.

If I had a vote, LaRussa and Cox get in, Torre gets in, and Miller gets in. Parker is the closest for the players, but I don't think he quite makes it.

Tom C
Old 11-05-2013, 08:18 AM

I don't see how you can say that about Joe Torre unless you also have a problem with Casey Stengel getting in. In 13 seasons as a non-Yankees manager the highest he ever finished was 5th.

Torre finished first with the Braves in 1982 and won the Western division twice in a row with the Dodgers.

My opinion is Torre is the only HOFer out of the bunch.

Last edited by packs; 11-05-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:23 AM
Bry.an Sylv.est3r

Nobody should get in. None are worthy. It's obnoxious how we all know and dislike how the Hall is being watered down with lesser talent only to keep giving those lesser talents more opportunities to get in. Ron Santo being the perfect example. How many times was his candidacy vetted? Has to be over twenty times? Seems to be we keep giving players opportunities until those voting forget said player was good enough to be elected in the first place.

And Miller being on the ballot is a joke. He was a labor leader and never set foot on the field. It is bad enough that umps, owners, and commissioners are in.

Putting down the mic and humbly getting off my soap box. I thank you for wasting a minute to read my opinion.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:00 AM

Marvin Miller's candidacy always baffled me. How can he have such a strong case for HOF consideration while Curt Flood is ignored?

Marvin Miller has no legacy without Curt Flood. If Miller is a HOFer for his contributions to baseball then so is Curt Flood.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:32 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylbry View Post
Nobody should get in. None are worthy. It's obnoxious how we all know and dislike how the Hall is being watered down with lesser talent only to keep giving those lesser talents more opportunities to get in. Ron Santo being the perfect example. How many times was his candidacy vetted? Has to be over twenty times? Seems to be we keep giving players opportunities until those voting forget said player was good enough to be elected in the first place.

And Miller being on the ballot is a joke. He was a labor leader and never set foot on the field. It is bad enough that umps, owners, and commissioners are in.

Putting down the mic and humbly getting off my soap box. I thank you for wasting a minute to read my opinion.
Speaking as one who believed Santo belonged in the Hall long ago, I vehimently disagree. As you can see with the induction of players like Santo and Blyleven, the Hall recognizes that how players were perceived when they were originally voted on can change over the years. Advanced metrics now show some players, such as Blyleven and Santo, to have been far more valuable than was previously thought. This is the reason for votes such as these.

As for Miller, he is one of the most important figures in the history of the sport. There should be little doubt about that. Yes, Curt Flood took his case to the Supreme Court, but Miller was there with him. Miller effectively ended the reserve clause, and he made the baseball players union into perhaps the strongest in the country. His actions helped lead the game to where it is today financially. Heck. If Bowie Kuhn is in the Hall of Fame but Marvin Miller isn't...???? Seems a bit ass-backwards to me.

Tom C

Last edited by btcarfagno; 11-05-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:46 AM

Even with Miller at the head of the Union, it took Flood acting on his own behalf to change baseball forever. It was Flood who declared himself a human baseball player and not property of the Cardinals and opened the gates for players to challenge the reserve clause. Not Miller. His contribution to baseball should supercede Miller's but he is never considered.

Last edited by packs; 11-05-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:15 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Even with Miller at the head of the Union, it took Flood acting on his own behalf to change baseball forever. It was Flood who declared himself a human baseball player and not property of the Cardinals and opened the gates for players to challenge the reserve clause. Not Miller. His contribution to baseball should supercede Miller's but he is never considered.
Miller and the MLBPA helped bring the appeals process through, helped to strategize how it was handled, and ultimately helped shape public opinion of the matter as the owners fumbled along. Flood is extraordinarily important without question. He stuck his own neck onto the chopping block. The case doesn't get where it went if not for Miller. It was the determination that Miller showed that gave Flood the confidence to do what he did. Miller at the time was pretty much looking for someone to fit the bill who would do what Flood was willing to do. Flood did what he did BECAUSE he had Miller and the MLBPA guiding him every step of the way.

Miller remained a thorn in the owners' side for years thereafter as well. The game of baseball is what it is today as a result of his actions. No less than Bill James has said that if there was ever a Mount Rushmore for the sport of baseball, that Miller would be one of those recognized. He was that important.

Tom C
Old 11-05-2013, 12:01 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Marvin Miller's candidacy always baffled me. How can he have such a strong case for HOF consideration while Curt Flood is ignored?

Marvin Miller has no legacy without Curt Flood. If Miller is a HOFer for his contributions to baseball then so is Curt Flood.
Miller ate Kuhn's lunch and Bowie got in. That's like putting the Washington Generals in before the Globetrotters.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:49 PM

I think the only ones getting in are the three managers, Torre, LaRussa and Cox.

Miller never played, or wore a uniform or worked for a team in his life. Not sure why he would be in the HOF. What he did may be considered important, but I don't think George Mitchell is going in, yet he will be forever famous for the Mitchell Report. I wouldn't put in Scott Boras because he negotiated some of the biggest contracts ever, they are all outside characters. Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, you don't put him in because night baseball made the sport more popular.

Steinbrenner should never get in, shouldn't even be considered due to his ban from the sport. The main reason he shouldn't get in is the same one that no owner during the 90's should get in. They let steroids get out of hand and profited off it, then got off free and clear from any blame, while the players took all of it. Nothing like encouraging them to do it by allowing it and paying them more, then pretending like all 30 teams had no idea. If players from the era don't get in, then neither should the owners who allowed it until they were pressured from an outside source. Steinbrenner paid a large amount of those guilty and presumed guilty players, Giambi, Aroid, Pettitte, Clemens, etc and who knows who else
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 11-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
I have always had a soft spot for Simmons and the Hall because I think he got shafted when he was initially on the ballot. For that guy, as one of the greatest catchers in history, to get less than 5% his first year on the ballot was an absolute travesty.

That said, I don't really think he deserves to be in the Hall. I just wish he had gotten his due on the ballots in the first place.

If I had a vote, LaRussa and Cox get in, Torre gets in, and Miller gets in. Parker is the closest for the players, but I don't think he quite makes it.

Tom C
I feel the same way about Lou Whitaker: is he a HOFer? No, probably not. But to not even make it off the first ballot is insulting.

Also agree: no player on this ballot is a HOFer. I think the 3 managers will make it, but it's hard to see them all get in this year.

Now, if Simmons DOES get in this year, that loud thumping sound you'll hear is me kicking myself in the head. I had a bat of his for probably 10 years, and I just sold it.

Ken
Old 11-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Belltown Vintage

LaRussa and Cox, or one of the two.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:51 PM

Default JimStinson

I never really looked at the Joe Torre argument as was presented here , I always figured he was a "lock" , but you guys made some pretty good points.

Kind of ironic , but I was at a ball game once in Chicago and asked a very, very intelligent baseball friend I was at the game with who in his opinion was the best manager he ever saw and he never even hesitated and said "Tony LaRussa" which kind of shocked me as I never considered him Good let alone GREAT and certainly not HOF material but he explained his reasoning and at the time it made sense.

We were drinking beer at the time so I guess he could have said "Stump Merrill" and that probably would have made sense too ....

The BEST manager by far that I ever saw manage day in and day out was Billy Martin. And not just with the Yankees either , the guy was complicated yes...but every where he went he turned losers into winners

Vintage autographs for sale on my web site
stinsonsports.com
Old 11-05-2013, 02:58 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Good point about Billy Martin and his managing ability...your description of turning losers in to winners sounds a lot like Buck Showalter (minus Martin's caustic personality). Will be interesting to see how Buck is regarded, especially if he wins a championship or two in the years to come. So far it seems his teams win right after he leaves for a new project ( see Yanks, DBacks, etc.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:41 PM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
Good point about Billy Martin and his managing ability...your description of turning losers in to winners sounds a lot like Buck Showalter (minus Martin's caustic personality). Will be interesting to see how Buck is regarded, especially if he wins a championship or two in the years to come. So far it seems his teams win right after he leaves for a new project ( see Yanks, DBacks, etc.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point but alot of that could be "front office" Billy was personally grabbing them out of the farm system , and PRISON ! See Ron LaFlore

Stengel had great success but he had Barrow and Weiss

stinsonsports.com
Old 11-05-2013, 04:49 PM

Default JimStinson

Anyway ...like it or not ....My picks for who will be inducted will be Tommy John & Joe Torre ..anyone else what to go out on a limb ?...

stinsonsports.com
Old 11-05-2013, 05:05 PM
J@son.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylbry View Post

I almost completely agree with you here, except IMO, I do think Garvey is HOF-worthy. Garvey was one of the most reliable players in the '70s and early '80s. To me, he's just like Mattingly: I don't know why these reliable and productive players have been snubbed. I agree with you on Santo though. Was never really impressed with him.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:43 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I find it interesting that Concepcion is on the list. If he was on a lot of other teams of that era he wouldn't get any love at all, but because he was on the powerhouse Reds he's considered. Don't get me wrong, I think he was an important part of those teams, much like Reese and Rizzuto, but I'd have to be convinced that he belonged in the hall. Speaking of which, Reese and Rizzuto are often talked about in the same breath, so how is it that Concepcion is on the ballot and Bert Campaneris is not? Their stats are not that different and Campaneris was on 3 WS winners, not 2. Similar types of players if you ask me...which nobody did.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:46 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

...also, I watched Garvey day in and day out in L.A and San Diego and in my book he is a Hall of Famer. Even on days he wasn't driving in runs he was saving runs with his glove. He could play.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:18 PM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
...also, I watched Garvey day in and day out in L.A and San Diego and in my book he is a Hall of Famer. Even on days he wasn't driving in runs he was saving runs with his glove. He could play.
Correct ...and he was a MONEY PLAYER ! could really come through in the clutch , thrived on it .....Just ask the 1984 Cubs who should have walked away easily with the championship were it not for Garvey
But before he goes ..what about Wes Parker ? Greatest defensive glove at first base probably of all time, He was at first base DOUBLE what Maz was at 2nd and almost what Brooks was at 3rd
They will end up putting Tommy John in based on his wins total and Torre because he managed the Yankees....I think the plan is to eventually induct into the HOF ANYONE that ever had an at bat for or managed the Yankees
Reggie Jackson ???? 1st ballot famer ???? please

Vintage autographs for sale daily on my web site
stinsonsports.com
Old 11-06-2013, 07:50 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I never saw Parker play, but it's hard for me to believe he was better than Keith Hernandez. As a Mets fan during the 80s, I saw him pull off absolutely ridiculous plays day in and day out. If we are putting in guys strictly based on defense, he should definitely be in.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 11-07-2013, 04:39 AM

Quote:
I never saw Parker play, but it's hard for me to believe he was better than Keith Hernandez. As a Mets fan during the 80s, I saw him pull off absolutely ridiculous plays day in and day out. If we are putting in guys strictly based on defense, he should definitely be in.

Parker was a SMOOTH operator at 1st base. I saw them both play and Parker was special, FWIW...

As a side note, Wes Parker had a baseball card shop in So Cal for many years that was called Wes Parker's Dugout. I always enjoyed visiting it back in the day when I collected BB cards...
Old 11-07-2013, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
+1 Garvey was awesome!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 11-07-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:25 AM

Default JimStinson

Quote:

Hernandez had a great glove for sure but the difference between him and Parker was , Hernandez had a knack for making difficult plays look astonishing , Wes Parker made astonishing plays look EASY

Rawlings awarded the gold glove of the century a few years back at each position , and Wes Parker won at the position of 1st base

Vintage autographs for sale now
stinsonsports.com
Old 11-07-2013, 08:39 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Parker was a SMOOTH operator at 1st base. I saw them both play and Parker was special, FWIW...

As a side note, Wes Parker had a baseball card shop in So Cal for many years that was called Wes Parker's Dugout. I always enjoyed visiting it back in the day when I collected BB cards...
Wes Parker was, and may still be my all time favorite player. Best 1b with the glove of all time in my book, but Hernandez was right there with him. Hernandez had a longer career, more gold gloves, changed the way 1b's held on runners, and was a great hitter. As a matter of fact, 11 gold gloves and a .296 average (he would have been right at .300 without those last two partial years) and two WS rings on 2 different teams shout out hall of fame to me.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:56 AM
J@son.K

And plus, Parker was on an episode of the Brady Bunch. Any athlete good enough to be on the BB deserves to be in the HOF. Just look at Drysdale.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Not sure about this year but LaRussa, Cox and Torre eventually get in, as does Miller and probably even Steinbrenner. For some reason I really don't get, they like to honor owners and executives. I mean Barney Dreyfus, Jacob Ruppert? Really? Steinbrenner also served on the Board of Directors of the Hall of Fame for many years with several of the 16 members of the electorate. Had Joe Torre played two or three more years behind the plate, he would have been elected as a player. Ted Simmons was a fine catcher, slightly behind Torre as a hitter. As there are only 13 catchers in the Hall and I would only rank maybe 6 or 7 of them ahead of Simmons, I have no problem with him being elected either.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
And plus, Parker was on an episode of the Brady Bunch. Any athlete good enough to be on the BB deserves to be in the HOF. Just look at Drysdale.
Well... Drysdale was on Leave It To Beaver, too. That is a big plus.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:07 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
And Hernandez was on Seinfeld....... so the debate continues!
Old 11-07-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrain View Post
Well... Drysdale was on Leave It To Beaver, too. That is a big plus.
Koufax was on Dennis the Menace. Nolan Ryan was a guest on the soap Ryan's hope as, you got it, an injured baseball pitcher. What a stretch for the Express...

Last edited by Scott Garner; 11-08-2013 at 04:52 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

The only person the I feel belongs is Marvin Miller. He changed the game forever. The would not vote him in when he was around. Now that he has passed away I dont thing they have any choice but to vote him in.
Torre, was handed a team that anyone could have won with. His boss did nothing for baseball except to buy teams and make ball players earn more than they deserved. When his managers disagreed with him they where fired.Torre was perfect for him.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:39 PM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
The only person the I feel belongs is Marvin Miller. He changed the game forever. The would not vote him in when he was around. Now that he has passed away I dont thing they have any choice but to vote him in.
Torre, was handed a team that anyone could have won with. His boss did nothing for baseball except to buy teams and make ball players earn more than they deserved. When his managers disagreed with him they where fired.Torre was perfect for him.
Agreed .....as did Curt Flood , both deserve but neither will go...Torre was a "yes" man and a Yankee ...he's IN

stinsonsports.com
Old 11-07-2013, 03:46 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

This will piss off lots of people, but I think LaRussa should get the same exact HOF consideration as McGuire, Canseco, Giambi and the gang. If you look closely (or even not so closely) at the list of illegal substance violators, you'll see that no two organizations are guiltier than LaRussa's A's and his Cardinal teams.

If highly suspicious steroid-era players are being snubbed, why should the Manager and Kingpin be any different? He was aware of exactly what was going on. Anyone who disputes this is kidding themselves. At worst he was instructing/pressuring his players to do the injections. At very best, he was "turning a blind eye".

I would put Gil Hodges in the HOF, but unfortunately he's nowhere to be found on the list
Old 11-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
Agreed .....as did Curt Flood , both deserve but neither will go...Torre was a "yes" man and a Yankee ...he's IN

stinsonsports.com
Jim, agree that I should have mentioned Flood. I do belive Miller will get in. I also agree that Hodge's shouild have been in years ago.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Concepcion? Really? Different position, but Whitaker deserves way more consideration. I believe Whitaker is = to Sandberg.

Also, I rank Al Oliver above Garvey. Same OPS+ and higher career WAR. Garvey was featured in a bigger market with TV looks, that's his advantage.

As far as the managers, meh. I do believe Miller deserves it.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:28 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Al Oliver is so underrated. Not sure he has HOF career numbers, but for a long stretch, there were few hitters that were any more clutch, or any better.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:17 PM
Jay Zimmerman

Default Gil Hodges

None of the players listed belong in the HOF. You can't talk about Wes Parker or Keith Hernandez if Gil Hodges isn't in the Hall.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Michael

Default Hof

I don't understand why after someone is rejected for 15 years in a row, they should go to another committee and be looked at again. It seems after 15 years that should do it. They should actually shorten the 15 years to maybe 5. What makes someone more qualified his 15th year of voting than his 5th?
Old 11-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
I don't understand why after someone is rejected for 15 years in a row, they should go to another committee and be looked at again. It seems after 15 years that should do it. They should actually shorten the 15 years to maybe 5. What makes someone more qualified his 15th year of voting than his 5th?
I think it has more to do with the people voting and not if the player was actually worthy of enshrinement. I would have taken the vote away from the writers years ago. They are the dumbest bags of hair in the world.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:19 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
This will piss off lots of people, but I think LaRussa should get the same exact HOF consideration as McGuire, Canseco, Giambi and the gang. If you look closely (or even not so closely) at the list of illegal substance violators, you'll see that no two organizations are guiltier than LaRussa's A's and his Cardinal teams.

If highly suspicious steroid-era players are being snubbed, why should the Manager and Kingpin be any different? He was aware of exactly what was going on. Anyone who disputes this is kidding themselves. At worst he was instructing/pressuring his players to do the injections. At very best, he was "turning a blind eye".
I was just thinking about this also. If voters are going to keep the players out who did steroids, how about the managers (and owners) who knew that this was happening in the clubhouse and did nothing about it?
Old 11-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I was just thinking about this also. If voters are going to keep the players out who did steroids, how about the managers (and owners) who knew that this was happening in the clubhouse and did nothing about it?
Well, let's remember: these are the same voters who also turned the blind eye!! Here in Cleveland, the main newspaper writer has written countless articles about how everybody is to blame for the whole steroids saga --including the fans!!-- but he never mentions himself. I read his columns faithfully through the 90's, and never once did he mention the ballooning beefcakes in the locker room.

The only piece I can ever remember reading about this in the 90's is when Rick Reilly chased Sammy Sosa around with the jar.

Ken
Old 11-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Well, let's remember: these are the same voters who also turned the blind eye!! Here in Cleveland, the main newspaper writer has written countless articles about how everybody is to blame for the whole steroids saga --including the fans!!-- but he never mentions himself. I read his columns faithfully through the 90's, and never once did he mention the ballooning beefcakes in the locker room.
+100
I'm not a supporter of steroid users in any way, but this is one of my main complaints with the entire issue. The writers completely ignored the problem because they had to kiss up to the players to get good stories and interviews and pay their bills. Now the same group of writers are coming out screaming about how sullied the game is and refusing to vote for guys. Even with all that in mind, I was able to forgive the guys who chose not to vote for proven users like Clemens, but when Biggio and Piazza were held "guilty by association" it really bothered me. Talk about a huge double standard. To me this was the last bad joke in the long, sad history of having the writers vote on HOFers.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Derek, very well put!!

Going back to the original topic, I'd like to see Torre and Cox get in, since I have memorabilia from them, plus I'd like to see Miller and Steinbrenner get in since I have extra auto's that I could sell.

Some may say I'm the pure combination of naked selfishness and blatant greed. My wife is a lucky lady!

Ken
Old 11-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Steve Birmingham

This was mostly a response to Michael at post 40 it just took me a while to get it typed.

For a lot of reasons.

If a player doesn't get at least 5% in any eligible year they're off the ballot. So it's possible a player didn't get 5 years of eligibility. If for instance they were getting votes just short of being elected, then there was a very strong retirement group. Not a great example, but Dwight Evans had 5.9%, 10.4 %, and 3.6% what happened that last year? Ryan, Brett, Yount, and Fisk happened. It's possible Evans would have made it in eventually, maybe his 5th year. But he was removed from the ballot. His career numbers may seem unimpressive, but many are in the top 100 all time, a few in the top 50. Even after the steroid era his 385 HR are tenth for AL righthanders. Not too shabby for a borderline candidate.

For some players their impact may not be realized until much later. Some of these might more properly go in as contributors. Flood, Tommy John, probably others. Flood provided a player willing to take the risk that created free agency, Tommy John - Heck, the surgery that saves a few careers is named for him. Both had a larger impact than just what they did on the field.

And since the voting is done by the writers, there's a bias towards the guys who were more likable, or made for better stories. And towards NY and Boston players to some degree. Albert Belle is a prime example of a guy who did himself no favors. His numbers are pretty good, 381HR, .295 BA 1239 RBI and all that in what's more like ten and a half years. (And close to what Jim Rice did in 15 years, and it took them another 15 to elect him) But Belle was very abrasive, especially towards the press and only lasted 2 years on the ballot.

That's why it's good to give some players, as well as other contributors another look later on.

Steve B

Last edited by steve B; 11-12-2013 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Added first line so the context makes sense
Old 11-15-2013, 02:16 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Those are all valid points, and that's not even getting into consideration given to position, the era the player played in and the teams the player played for.

Bert Blyleven is my favorite example of why vote totals can jump, and by extension, why we need a Veteran's Committee. Before Randy Johnson and Roger Clemens surpassed him, Blyleven was third on the all-time strikeout list. Ask anyone who faced him, Bert's curveball was a back-breaker. Know how many shutouts he had? 60. One fewer than Seaver and Ryan, and good for 9th all-time. Those two stats alone scream dominance to me. Blyleven won 287 games, playing for some really, really poor teams. Just 13 wins away from a magic number that (rightly or wrongly) would have had him inducted on his first ballot. His teams were so bad in fact, that in terms of "quality starts", he had 99 such outings in which he was saddled with the loss and had ANOTHER 79 quality starts where he received a no-decision. That's 178 games that could easily have been W's with better offensive support. Keep in mind, his career ERA was 3.13, so it's not like he was asking a lot of his teams' hitters. If he could have won even 10% of those starts - basically if he had the fortune of playing just one season with the Yankees or Dodgers of his era - he's at 304 wins and a HOF lock. A big knock on him was that he never won a Cy Young Award. Well, the same writers who vote for the HOF also vote for postseason awards. So if the writers can get one vote wrong, what's to say they didn't misinterpret a player's worth when handing out CY/MVP awards? He did, however, help win 2 World Series, appear in 2 All-Star games, finish in Top 4 or better in Cy voting 3 times, and consistently rank among the league leaders in every important pitching stat several times.

Some purists feel the Hall should be reserved for only the very, very elite - the Ruths, Aarons and Cobbs of the world - but I think that a HOF consisting of only 50 or so guys would be pretty boring. The Hall still contains less than 1% of the men who have played the game, and I see no problem with varying levels of "greatness" being inducted. In other words, the worst HOFer was still miles ahead of the best "average" player. Great players like Blyleven deserve to be recognized for their real contributions and not just by lining their stats up against the stats of others.

OK, rant over, sorry for going OT....

Last edited by dgo71; 11-15-2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:06 AM
Wayne Walker

Great post Derek, I completely agree.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
Great post Derek, I completely agree.
+1 Good job, Derek!
Old 11-18-2013, 06:56 PM
Brian

Great post above! Very well stated!

As a side note, I would personally love to see Garvey get in. 10x All-Star, 4WS appearances, NL MVP. Not a bad resume. But I'm not biased at all...