NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 09-03-2015, 08:14 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

Default Gino Cappelletti: Please post your graded or signed items

Hi folks,

At the suggestion of another member, I thought I'd start a thread with my best Gino Cappelletti items. I hope others will chime in and post any high grade, autographed, or just plain unique Gino items!

I am the proud owner of the current #1 Cappelletti master set on the PSA registry, although there are still a couple of cards I'm trying to track down to complete it. Here are scans of most of my graded items:

The '69 Glendale Stamp is an interesting one. I own the only 2 graded copies, this PSA 5 and a 4.

I'm still looking for Gino's '64 Topps card in PSA 8, as well as his '69 Eskimo Pie card he shares with Dale Livingston. If you have either of those available, PLEASE let me know!

Up next: some of my Gino autographs....
Old 09-03-2015, 08:25 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

I think I have about 15 Cappelletti autographs, including his complete basic Topps run. I've met a lot of athletes, but he is undoubtedly the kindest, humblest and most outgoing athlete I have ever met. Here are some autos....

The signed Glendale has to be a 1 of a kind item and I'm happy to own it. The "first TD" items are customs made by a member on CU and he was thoughtful enough to send them TTM and then give them to me.

Hope you enjoyed looking. Please post any Gino items you'd like to in this thread. Thanks!
Old 09-03-2015, 01:48 PM
Jeff P

Great Gino cards! You've really covered your bases here and I checked out your PSA set registry.

I don't register a lot of sets but was surprised that the Eskimo Pie wasn't included in the definition of the Master Set. I guess like everything PSA does, they only put cards in there that will get people going on a PSA feeding frenzy! I just assumed that a Master Set means ALL the known cards of a player.

jeff
Old 09-03-2015, 02:19 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

I checked out the PSA Registry too, nice cards. I don't know anything about Gino Cappelletti except what I just read on Wikipedia. How come he started out and played his early years in the Canadian Leagues? He seemed to post all pro statistics once he joined the AFL Patriots.
Larry
Old 09-03-2015, 04:22 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
I checked out the PSA Registry too, nice cards. I don't know anything about Gino Cappelletti except what I just read on Wikipedia. How come he started out and played his early years in the Canadian Leagues? He seemed to post all pro statistics once he joined the AFL Patriots.
Larry
My guess is he wasn't drafted by the NFL and went to the CFL to continue playing. There were quite a few really good players in the AFL that were either undrafted or the NFL had given up on them.

Blanda is a great example. He had already retired from the NFL as Halas told him he wasn't going to be the QB any longer and he got tired of just kicking for the Bears. All he did was lead the Houston Oilers to the first two AFL Championships and win the MVP!

jeff
Old 09-03-2015, 05:26 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default Letter & Photo

Sorry for the poor photos, they were taken with my phone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0327.jpg (63.4 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0328.jpg (68.0 KB, 203 views)
Old 09-04-2015, 10:21 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

Thanks for posting guys! I really like that Gino ephemera. In addition to what I've posted here I've got 3 or 4 variations of Gino coke and sprite bottle caps, an uncut sheet of the Glendale stamps, and I've got a football signed by Gino, his broadcasting partner Gil Santos, HOFer Andre Tippett (another player I collect heavily), HOFer Mike Haynes, Steve Grogan, Sam "Bam" Cunningham, and Ronnie Lippett.

Regarding the master set composite, if PSA has never graded an issue it isn't included in the composite when a set is originally created for th registry. Later, if you get that item graded, you can request to add it to the composite. PSA has never graded the Eskimo pie Gino, but I plan to eventually buy a raw copy, have it graded, and add it to the composite.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:03 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBesse27 View Post
Thanks for posting guys! I really like that Gino ephemera. In addition to what I've posted here I've got 3 or 4 variations of Gino coke and sprite bottle caps, an uncut sheet of the Glendale stamps, and I've got a football signed by Gino, his broadcasting partner Gil Santos, HOFer Andre Tippett (another player I collect heavily), HOFer Mike Haynes, Steve Grogan, Sam "Bam" Cunningham, and Ronnie Lippett.

Regarding the master set composite, if PSA has never graded an issue it isn't included in the composite when a set is originally created for th registry. Later, if you get that item graded, you can request to add it to the composite. PSA has never graded the Eskimo pie Gino, but I plan to eventually buy a raw copy, have it graded, and add it to the composite.
That makes sense.

Keep posting your Gino stuff!

jeff
Old 01-22-2016, 08:59 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Today was a huge day for my collection. For almost 2 years I've been looking for Gino's 64 Topps in PSA 8. I've passed on a couple that were badly tilted, so when 4SC listed this one I jumped on it. I overpaid by quite a bit, but happy I did. My Cappelletti master set is now 100% "complete." I hope to land the '69 Eskimo Pie card someday (maybe both versions), but this is still a personal milestone.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:22 PM
Kin K.

Congrats on the completion!
Old 01-22-2016, 09:29 PM
shawn

Congrats!
Old 01-22-2016, 09:33 PM
Jeff P

Congrats! Great pickup.

jeff
Old 01-22-2016, 10:20 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Thanks. I didn't point this out when I posted my signed copy, and probably Jeff and some of the rest of you already knew this, but the 64 Gino is a UER (misspelled name on front).
Old 01-23-2016, 01:21 PM
Mike Dugan

Does Gino charge for TTM autographs?
Old 01-23-2016, 03:09 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

No, he doesn't charge, but I've still paid him a small amount out of appreciation.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:38 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Big addition today! I completed Gino's signed Topps run and now that I landed this signed 62F RC, all I have left to complete the signed basic set is his 63F 2nd year card. A nice copy will be sent TTM tomorrow. Here is the RC:

Old 02-07-2016, 07:49 AM
Jeff P

Very nice pickup! Congrats on closing in on your run too.

jeff
Old 02-17-2016, 07:33 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
Very nice pickup! Congrats on closing in on your run too.

jeff
Thanks Jeff, completed the run today when these came in the mail. Very excited!

Old 02-17-2016, 08:09 PM
MikeHealer

Great collection. Congrats!
Old 02-18-2016, 05:31 AM
Jeff P

That's fantastic! Now what? Signed master set run?

jeff
Old 02-18-2016, 07:50 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

Ha, no, I'm probably as close to a signed master set as I'm gonna get. I've got the 9 I just showed, plus a signed 69 Glendale stamp. I don't want autographed copies of his salada coin or Topps 4-in-1, so that just leaves the Eskimo pie. As you know, that one is impossible to find, in any condition.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:10 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

I haven't posted to this thread in a long time, glad to have some new additions now. First, some of those transparency slides I've been showing in various threads:

The photos and colors in these make them possibly my favorites of all the ones I've added. The first one is 1969 and the next is '70. The NFL only started producing these in 1968 and 1970 was Gino's last season, so I'm only missing the 68 to complete the run.

Also added this 1964 Coke cap:

Gino was in a 1964 Pats set, as well as AFL All Star set and Pats set in 1965 and both sets again in '66. Add in all the different flavors of soda and there are 20 different Gino caps to collect. This only makes 4 in my collection. The '64 Pats caps are identified because they feature his uniform number (20). There was a Sprite Gino cap in that set as well.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:18 PM
Robert D. Hysell

Angry Gene & other Afl ?

Gene & other AFL stars, should be in the Hall Of Fame?I don:t get the PSA graded 1968 stamp card that is singled out from the rest ,even getting close to that grade,they didn"t come out of the packs, like that! And if that's ok ,what about the L.Bird/Magic cards year, do the get graded if apart from each other?Way to much double standards that are not keep for all cards in all fields!Robert,
Old 11-22-2016, 12:55 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysell View Post
Gene & other AFL stars, should be in the Hall Of Fame?I don:t get the PSA graded 1968 stamp card that is singled out from the rest ,even getting close to that grade,they didn"t come out of the packs, like that! And if that's ok ,what about the L.Bird/Magic cards year, do the get graded if apart from each other?Way to much double standards that are not keep for all cards in all fields!Robert,
Yes, I do believe there are some AFL stars who are deserving HOFers but have been overlooked. When you say "1968 stamp card," I assume you mean the 1969 Topps 4-in-1 single? I agree it's a little lame to grade both the single and the panel, which is why I wasn't going to buy both, but the single was a Christmas gift from a collector friend a couple years ago and I'm happy to have it.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:32 PM
Robert D. Hysell

Default Yes, 1969

Dan, you were correct!I have a ton of the Bird/magic card years, that i took apart ase a kid,but don"t see much on them,unless still in tact?Rob

Tags
cappelletti, eskimo pie, gino, glendale, psa