NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 11-28-2017, 07:57 PM
Bill Gregory

Default Who do ya love, who do ya hate?

This popped into my head reading the topic about Alabama and the CFP, and since I've never seen it discussed here in great detail on Net 54, let's all go on record, and let our allegiances be set in cyberstone forever. I feel this will be a fun way to all get to know each other even better. Plus, some friendly banter between heated rivals could be interesting, to say the least!

So, here's how it works. Tell me what teams you are passionate about? I mean die hard, "you can bad mouth my mama before you bad mouth my team" supporters through good times and bad. I don't want any bandwagon jumpers here! If you've been a Cubs fan since October of '16, you're getting tossed from the sports bar, and our bouncers have instructions not to let you back in! Also, why is your loyalty to these teams so strong? Were you born in a particular city, and rooting for the local team is considered de rigueur? Or, was your love for a team, or teams, born from another source of inspiration? What other franchises do you love that might come as a surprise to the rest of us, and why?

And who do you hate. What teams, when you see them, well, the very sight of their colors, or the faintest echo of their fight song, makes your skin crawl? And, again, why?

Lastly, aside from the love you have for professional sports franchises, what players have you always loved. And, again, why? You're not restricted to your beloved teams. These athletes can come from anywhere, and any era.

I will start.

I was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1971. Though the city of Milwaukee has only celebrated one World Series victory (in 1957, before my time, sadly), the tradition of baseball in Milwaukee is rich. Much like Cubs fans just a few hours drive to the south, win or lose, Miller Park's turnstiles are always busy. We consistently draw 2 million plus fans every year. And, as this article shows in 2013, the city of Milwaukee's per capita attendance is the best in the Bigs. Now, I haven't lived in Wisconsin since 1989, when my family moved to Texas before my senior year of high school. But I've remained a die hard Brewers fan. I went to so many games at the old Milwaukee County Stadium, I lost track. It was a great park, with a rich history. I'd sit behind the dugout, first base side where the great Cecil Cooper manned the bag, and look out to right field where the great Hank Aaron once played. I'd look over to third base, where Hall of Famer Eddie Mathews's muscular build stood between plate appearances, and bombs sent into the cheap seats. I'd look at the mound where Warren Spahn and Lew Burdette formed one of baseball's best 1-2 punches a top the rotation. And I spent hour after hour watching two Hall of Famers play side by side, Robin Yount and Paul Molitor. The two men combined for 4,736 hits and 2,605 runs as teammates. Only thirty-one players in the long history of the game have amassed 3,000 or more hits, and I got to grow up watching two of them chase history.

Of course, as much as I love the game of baseball, and my Brewers, you cannot grow up in Wisconsin without loving the Green Bay Packers (you can't unless you're weird, that is). If you cut me open, my blood is green and gold. I went to my first Packers game the same year I took in my first Brewers game, in 1979 when I was eight years old. Both were at Milwaukee County Stadium, as the Packers played a few of their home games there every year. The first time I flew over Lambeau Field in Green Bay, I felt as if I'd made a trip to Mecca. I have spent way too many hours reading about, and watching old footage from the greats of the past. Bart Starr is a national treasure. I never saw him play, as he was before my time (his final game came three months after I was born), but I've always felt this profound respect, and love, for the man. The Packer tradition is a rich one, and Bart Starr has long been the great ambassador for the team, and the game, in Wisconsin. No, when I started watching the Packers, they stunk. There's no other way to put it. My first quarterback was David Whitehurst. I had a little #17 jersey. As a toddler, I probably could have thrown the ball further than him. The Packers lost a lot, but I didn't care. They were my team. That losing changed, though, after I left the state. But I yelled loudly enough that the players in Green Bay could probably hear me all the way in Dallas.

I also grew up as a big fan of the Bucks, and of course, Wisconsin Badgers football. Unlike the Packers, the Bucks were good when I was a kid. Real good. They made it to the playoffs pretty much every year-only to lose to the Celtics every year (or, so it seemed). I sat in the nosebleed seats at Mecca Arena. I distinctly remember the cat calls from the fans in the cheap seats. "Technical foul, ref. Too many honkeys on the court." I remember the smell of the hot dogs at Mecca. Not as good as County Stadium, but then again, watching Sidney Moncrief, Terry Cummings, Jack Sikma et all made up for any shortcomings in the food.

The Badgers pretty much stunk, of course, right until I left Wisconsin. I left in the fall of 1989, and Barry Alvarez became the Head Coach in 1990. They went 1-10 that first year. But since then, they have become a powerhouse. The last nine years, the Badgers have gone 93-27 (a .775 winning percentage). I jump around at home if my knee doesn't hurt.

Though I grew up in Wisconsin, I also learned to love a few other teams. My parents were married at the little chapel on the campus of Notre Dame. I've always been a fan of the Fighting Irish, and have been on the campus many times. I also love the Pittsburgh Pirates, and really like the Boston Red Sox. My Pirates love was born out of reading a book about the club when I was first learning about Roberto Clemente. This was at the time "The Family" was winning the World Series, too. And the Sox? Well, I'm Irish Catholic. In another life, I might have lived in Boston. But it's the players that have driven this affinity. If I had a time machine, I'd take in every game Ted Williams ever played in (when I wasn't busy watching Clemente play)!

Teams I hate? The Dallas Cowboys. I loathe them. Growing up, they were my second favorite football team. I loved Roger Staubach, and had an infinite amount of respect for Tom Landry, the quite gentleman on the sidelines. When I moved to Texas, Jerry Jones bought the Cowboys, and Tom Landry, who'd been the only Head Coach the Cowboys ever had, found out he'd been fired from the tv news. Since then, I've hated Jones, and the franchise. I do like a few players, but I will never root for the Cowboys so long as that classless ass is owner of the team.

I can't stand the Minnesota Vikings, either. When I hear that horn, I want to shove it somewhere unpleasant. I should hate the Bears, but I don't. I respect the franchise, even though they are our chief rivals. Bears fans can be abrasive, but there are a lot of good ones, too. Vikings fans? They're all insufferable, in my experience.

Then, there's Ohio State and Michigan. Oh, and the Miami Hurricanes. I'm all for sportsmanship, but if a team can beat the Buckeyes, Wolverines or Hurricanes, and run up the score in the process, I'm all for it.

Favorite players outside of my team? Roberto Clemente, Ted Williams, Roger Staubach, and Joe Montana. I also loved watching Dan Marino throw a football.

You guys are up!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:05 PM
Ben North

Love the Dallas Cowboys. Have been a fan my entire life, can't remember ever not being a fan.

Hate the Minnesota Vikings. Why, because everybody here is a Vikings fan.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:47 PM
Bill Gregory

Not everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Hate the Minnesota Vikings. Why, because everybody here is a Vikings fan.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:42 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

I'm a MIZZOU guy thru and thru. I bleed the Black and Old Gold!

The Miami Dolphins are my NFL team of choice, and the Royals are my MLB team!

There aren't any players I hate, or teams for that matter.

Players I have admired are Hank Aaron, Ted Williams, and George Brett.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:18 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Love:

Koufax, Mantle and Ryan

but, also Bob Feller, Billy Wagner, David Eckstein and Mickey Lolich

...and many more

Hate:

bonds, 'clemens', and rose

and, regrettably, many more.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 11-30-2017, 08:09 AM
Steve Birmingham

Cool topic.

I'm originally from western Connecticut, an area that's in both the Red Sox and Yankees areas. (Mets too, but not as much)
Moved to western Mass, just in time to discover sports, 73 world series, Aaron setting the record, Rice and Lynn and the whole 75 season and series. Dad is also a Red sox fan, so I guess it's natural. We moved near Boston just in time for the 78 season, and at the time you could just get on the T - Bus stop was less than a mile from home - and go in for a game. There were usually tickets available if you weren't too picky about seats, and a high school kid could afford an occasional game.
Of course I hate the Yankees. It's sort of required.
For the better fans, the rivalry is just that. The Yankees have had a load of great teams, and back then were usually just a bit better late in the year. Lots of great debates over the years, Fisk or Munson? (They were pretty evenly matched, Munson was a bit more durable. I really wish we'd gotten to compare them both over a long career. ) Nomar or Jeter - (In his prime Nomar was a bit better I think, but wasn't the same after a broken wrist and faded pretty fast. Jeter is obviously the better of the two, and while I rarely bought the hype that came with some of his great plays he was just too good to actually hate. )
Since I like the crazier aspects of baseball that are sadly gone now, I always liked the Brewers home run slide. Not the new one, but the old beer barrel and mug.

Football it's been the patriots since the early 80's. They usually looked like they'd be a good team but just weren't. Lately though.... at least now I know how Yankee fans feel.

I don't really follow Basketball or Hockey much anymore. But I was a Celtics/bruins fan, and like those teams most of the time.

In all sports I don't really dislike most teams. I've had some favorites that have come and gone, more certain players I liked than teams.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:19 AM
Kyle May

Teams I Love: Cleveland Indians, University of Akron Zips, Columbus Blue Jackets

Teams I Like But Am Growing Less Fond Of: Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers

Teams I Like b/c of Family Connections: Michigan Wolverines, Syracuse Orangemen

Teams I Hate: Motor City Kitties (Detroit Tigers), Can't State Golden Showers, Ohio State Suckeyes, Ohio Bobkittens, Pissburgh Steelers, Faultimore Ratbirds (Baltimore Ravens), Cincinnati Bengals, Golden State Pansies (Warriors)

Players/Coaches I Love: Jim Thome, Most of the Current Cleveland Indians, Most of the 90s Indians, Jordan Spieth, Coach K, John Tortorella, Bill Belichick, Peyton Manning

Players/Coaches I Hate: LeBron James, Colin Kaepernick, Tiger Woods, Steph Curry, Draymond Green, Gregg Popovich, Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Steve Kerr

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 11-30-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:59 AM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Growing up in Southern California, I always have been a Dodger fan. More because of my older brother, who I absolutely adored growing up, and to this day is the biggest baseball fan I have ever met. Everything we did had to do with the Dodgers, we would sneak out little transistor radios under out pillows at night to listen to the game when we had to go to bed before the game was over. This was in the mid 70s, so we had guys like Steve Garvey, Ron Cey, Dusty Baker, Reggie Smith, etc. The one guy on the Dodgers that I just could never like was Davy Lopes. We used to hang around after a game until the players came out and try and get autographs. Lopes would come out and run to his car like he was trying to steal a base, he would never sign more than one or two, if even that. He drove a gold Corvette, and would take off out of the parking lot, leaving behind a lot of disappointed little fans. I remember one game after the Giants, Jack Clark from the Giants came out, the absolute enemy San Francisco Giants, and he stayed around about a half hour signing and posing for photos, and here comes Lopes running for his car. It was hard to hate the Giants after that. As far as another Giants player I really like, Brandon Crawford is one of the nicest, most humble guys you could ever meet. A great guy, with a really awesome family. From the Dodgers, Terry Forster was an awesome guy. He lived next door to a kid I knew, and we would go knock on his door and ask his wife if Terry could come out and play, and he would. It was pretty awesome to be a kid and get to play catch with a pro ball player.

As far as the NFL, I grew up a Raiders fan, probably because the Rams were so bad when I was a kid, and the Raiders from those years were so much fun. Ken Stabler, Fred Bletnikoff, Dave Casper, et. al. When they moved to LA I was thinking this was just for me, my reward for having been such a great fan. I also was a USC fan, and we drafted Marcus Allen, so what could be better? Well, they treated Allen pretty bad, which soured me on the team, and having them in LA, you started hearing the rumors of what the guys were like. Then when they moved back to Oakland, I figured good riddance, and decided to find another team. I finally started following the Packers, and have been a fan ever since. Brett Farve was the guy that cemented me as a fan, he would take you on such a roller coaster ride every game, making such amazing plays and then throwing an interception, it just kept you in suspense. USC died for me too, amid all the scandals, recruiting violations, etc. I lived for awhile in Idaho, and started watching Boise State, but never really got back into NCAA.

Hockey is my favorite sport, which is weird since I knew nothing about it until I was in my 20s. As a kid I thought it was up there with roller derby and professional wrestling, more of a staged event than a sport. When I was in the army, my roommate was from Michigan, and his mom would record a bunch of Red Wing games off the TV and send him the tape. We would get pizza and beer and watch game after game on a weekend, he explained how the game worked, and I was hooked. I think Nick Lidstrom is the perfect human. Steve Yzerman, Gordie Howe, and Pavel Datsyuk are right up there, too. However, my favorite Wing has always been Darren McCarty. From other teams, Teemu Selanne is super cool. I went to a fan fest for the Ducks once. As you can imagine, Teemu's line was forever long. The people running the event came up and said that the event was ending and there was not enough time left for everyone to get up and get Selanne's auto. He saw what was happening, came over and told them this was his booth, we were his fans, and the event would be over when he decided. All matter of fact, leaving no room for any other option. He stayed until everyone was done. Really classy, nice guy. As a retired military guy, I can tell you George Parros and Brent Burns are really amazing in their support of the troops. I tried to get Parros to take a photo with me when I was in uniform, and asked if he would pull my top over my head and act like he was punching me. He thought about it really hard, but just couldn't do it in the end.

I never liked basketball at all.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 11-30-2017, 01:05 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Never liked Jeter. Though his whole much heralded persona was fake and completely uninteresting. His non-answers and fake smiles always left me cold. Never showed anything close to real. And somehow his lack of actual emotion and thoughtful comments was what established him as such a great guy. Never understood it. In all his time in NY showed slightly more personality than Kevin McReynolds. Just uttered the most tired baseball canards and clichés over and over. And people ate it up. (Maybe there is some genius to that. What do I know.)

He was a very good player and got the typical Yankee 25% premium on how good he actually was. And he will be a horrendous business executive. Nice wife though.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 11-30-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:07 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I tend to dislike any player who says things like " . . . I really don't care about personal achievements. The MVP award is ok but we didn't win a ring this year so it means nothing."

Total 100% unadulterated canned horsesh*t, yet some people eat it up.

"I'd give away all my batting titles if only I could have gotten to a World Series. . ." Oh, sure. I believe that. Give me all your houses, cars, vacation homes, and cash too and I'll get you that ring.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 11-30-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:19 PM
Nick Barnes

I was born in Opelika while my old man was at Grad school at Auburn so there's that, and I presently live on the Ms Gulf Coast so...

Teams I Love: Braves, Auburn, Saints

Teams I really like: Raiders, Lakers

Team I hate: Cowboys, Yankees, Nationals, Bama, Mets, Phillies

Teams I kinda dislike a lot: Marlins, Chiefs, Falcons

Last edited by bravos4evr; 11-30-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:33 PM
Duane Clark

My favorite Teams are the Balt Orioles, Oakland Raiders, OU Sooners and Edmonton Oilers.

I try not to hate anything. Therefore, I loathe the Yankees, Steelers.

Over the years I have decided to be die hard fans of players not teams. Current players that I really like are:

Mike Trout

Derek Carr

Jonathan Schoop
Old 11-30-2017, 06:56 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

A fan of only one professional sports team: the Mets.

It's a cross someone has to bear.

Don't hate the modern day Yankees but despise about 96% of their arrogant fans. (No, the fact that the Yankees have a long esteemed history doesn't mean squat as to you personally.)

I'm a NYer, so zero interest in college sports.

And with the Mets I have enough heartache . . .don't need to really add the Jets or the Knicks.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 11-30-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Never liked Jeter. Though his whole much heralded persona was fake and completely uninteresting. His non-answers and fake smiles always left me cold. Never showed anything close to real. And somehow his lack of actual emotion and thoughtful comments was what established him as such a great guy. Never understood it. In all his time in NY showed slightly more personality than Kevin McReynolds. Just uttered the most tired baseball canards and clichés over and over. And people ate it up. (Maybe there is some genius to that. What do I know.)

He was a very good player and got the typical Yankee 25% premium on how good he actually was. And he will be a horrendous business executive. Nice wife though.
In part it went over so well because of the contrast with ARod, who was by far the better player but got a huge asshole deduction.

From a bit of a distance, I didn't mind Jeter's act, he always seemed gracious to me if controlled. If he was a phony, he was, as my Mom used to say, a genuine phony.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-30-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:51 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Arod’s canard is tilted for descent.

Jeter’s canard is designed for stability.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:45 AM
Steve Birmingham

A few things to add, and of course a Jeter comment.

With Jeter it was the overdone acclaim that I didn't like. "he dove into the Fenway stands and hit his head on a seat! Greatest play EVER!!!"
No, not even close.
But that play was interesting on other levels.
One, that the fans didn't obstruct him shows how much respect he had even in Boston. I'd seen another Yankee player go well into the stands in the same area years before (some rookie third baseman or shortstop I forget who) and it was practically a mugging. Went into the crowd for a ball, came out with no ball, no glove, no hat, and a torn jersey. (We like our souvenirs! ) It took security to get his glove back, but the hat was long gone.
On a different level, it may have also indicated the changing times with a crowd that was more subject to being tossed and had paid much more for the ticket behaving a lot better. I suspect that not getting in his way probably is what led to him hitting the seat, so maybe the crowd just got smoother.

The bits to add are

My wife is from near DC, so we have an agreement. I'm also an Orioles/Redskins fan as long as they're not playing The Sox/Patriots. (Hey, the skins were a Boston team, so it's totally ok)
And my brother went to West Point, so I'm a bit into Army football. Great games in a really neat small old fashioned stadium. If you get the chance to go you should.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:42 AM
Rob Anderson

Great topic.

I was born in MN in 1970. I have always loved all of the MN teams, except for the North Stars and the Wild. (I played basketball through college and didn't have time for hockey)

The Vikings were the first team I really loved. I remember playing as a young kid and pretending that I was Fran Tarkenton, Chuck Foreman or my favorite, Ahmad Rashad. I faintly remember my heart being broken losing to the Dolphins in the Super Bowl. Then when those damn cheating Cowboys got away with "The Push", and beating them in the NFC Championship. I have hated the Cowboys ever since. The Herschel Walker trade only cemented that hate.

The Twins came next. I went to a game at the old Metropolitan Stadium when I was 7 with the Park and Rec. A friend and I snuck away from the group and tried to get some autographs after the game. We got lost, and couldn't find the group. Back then, they just left you even though we were 7. We found someone that called my mom to come and get us. She had to leave work an hour early, and drive an hour to come get us. She wasn't really all that happy with us.

When I turned 21, I was invited to go have some drinks with a coworker and some "friends". Her husbands best friend was the equipment manager for the team and the other "friends that came out were Tim Laudner, Dan Gladden, Al Newman, Gary Gaetti, Kent Hrbek and best of all Kirby Puckett. I remember others buying rounds and after 4 or 5 drinks, I ordered a round from the server. When she brought them, I was trying to pay, and Kirby looked at me and asked what I was doing. I said that I was paying for the round, and he told me he just signed the biggest contract in the history of baseball and I should put my money away. I thought he was the greatest thing ever. I thought Hrbek was rude that night, but everyone I have ever talked to that knows the players since has always said Hrbek is a great guy and Puckett was not as great. First impressions I guess.

MN didn't have a pro basketball team when I was growing up, but I remember loving the Lakers, Celtics and Sixers. They were the teams always on TV, so I didn't have too much of a choice other than them. Andrew Toney was my favorite, since I was a shooting guard. He was silky smooth from the 3 point line.

And my first love. The Minnesota Golden Gophers. My dad graduated from the U and had season tickets for football on the 45 yard line about 20 rows up. And more importantly for basketball. 12 rows up on the free throw line behind the gopher bench. I can remember Jim Dutcher yelling at his players when they weren't playing well.

I went to every home football and basketball game from 1976-1989. I left the Twin Cities in 1989 and went to play basketball for MN-Crookston. I still record and watch every game even if I attend in person.

My daughter was born in 1997 and the Gophs were going to to Final Four. My (Now ex) wife and I didn't really have the money at the time, and it was tough for her to stay at home and take care of her by herself, but I was going to the Final Four. I told her the day we met that if they ever made it I was going. Of course all that was wiped away.

My dad's best friend said in 1976 that the next time the Gophers made it to the Rose Bowl, he would pay for all of us to go. 41 years later and he hasn't had to pay up. I still see him once in a while although my dad has passed, and I always remind him of that promise. Hopefully PJ Fleck can get us there eventually.

Now for some teams I hate.

NFL-
Packers-actually just their fans. The team is pretty fun to watch.

Cowboys-I outlined above why they need to be hated.

Seahawks-I watched them play in a half empty stadium for so many years. Then they become good and all of a sudden they have the 12th man, and they have been the best fans forever. I call BS

MLB-
Yankees-I just haven't ever found even a single player that I enjoyed watching.

Red Sox-I really started hating them when they called out the Yankees for their payroll and then within a few years had a payroll as high or higher.

NBA-
Knicks-People say the NBA is better when they are good. They haven't been good since the early 70's. They were okay for a few years with Bernard King and a couple years with Ewing, but they haven't been a serious title contender in forever. I think the NBA is still doing fine.

College sports

Any team from the SEC. If for no other reason than whenever a team in the SEC loses to another SEC team, it's because they are sooooo good that anyone can beat anyone at any time. But when it happens anywhere else, it because the team getting beat just isn't that good. And when bowl season rolls around, those SEC teams don't do so well overall. That's because they don't care unless it's for the National Championship. I call BS on this as well. Maybe they just aren't that good.

Wisconsin- they have dominated my beloved Gophers for too long. That needs to change.

USC- I spent a lot of time in LA growing up and the family I had there made it very clear that we are UCLA fans and we don't cheer for the damn Trojans.

Sorry for the long post.

Rob A.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:30 PM
Mike Lenart

I like the Yankees, Mets, Jets, NY Rangers and Rutgers.

Hate - Dallas Cowboys, Notre Dame Football, Notre Dame Basketball. Notre Dame Glee Club, Notre Dame......you get the point and any Christmas song by the Jackson 5.

Mike
Old 12-03-2017, 06:20 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default My faves

Phillies- I have loved the Phillies all my life in my favorite sport. It will never stop. Thank you to WCAU radio in the early 70’s. Go Phillies even when you stink I love you guys.

Saints - I lived there in 1981-82 and developed a fondness for Dem Bums , I really liked having a hometown team with pages and pages of coverage in the Daily Times Picayune. You really felt like you knew the team better. I didn’t have that as a young fan of the Miami Dolphins while growing up in Vermont Even though I don’t like the NFL that much as a whole, the game action is good...Any Saints win is a good day!

Red Wings - I used to go to AHL games in Glens Falls NY and watched the young Adirondack Red Wings players prior to them becoming a dominant force with multiple Stanley Cups. The model of consistency since I really started watching them...they are on a downswing , looking like one of the worst teams.

Dolphins- my first favorite team, I still hope for them to do well. Jim Kiick is my favorite player of all time and I still bet #21 on the roulette wheel. When they lose, I don’t feel that bad...it’s the Saints who really matter in my house!

Seahawks- closest thing I have to a hometown team, I really want them to win.
I have been to a few games and it’s amazing to hear that hometown crowd. But if they lose , I still sleep fine!

Mariners - same as above. I am a bigger baseball fan than any other sport. So the Mariners get my hometown advantage. Very fun ballpark.

Teams I hate? Well all division rivals of the teams above of course! Especially Braves and Mets. Panthers and Falcons in the NFL. Patrick Roy I hate.
I don’t care for some players like Big Poopie or Chipper Jones but I respect most players for their abilities.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:55 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Born in Queens in the shadow of Shea Stadium, I was a frickin' diehard Mets fan from birth. Ugh. Grew up a Jets fan, but went to school in western NY and have been a Bills fan now forever (still root big time for the Jetties, but the 2 games a year they play against the Bills are an emotional nightmare ). Add to the mix the Islanders and Knicks and that's a huge bagful of yearly pain. The last championship won by any of my teams was the Mets in '86...thirty one years ago. Double ugh. I will tell you, though, being in a fantasy football league forever has allowed me to root for other teams/players (when they aren't playing Buff), so that's helped alleviate at least a tiny bit of the pain I feel each and every season rooting for the teams I do.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 12-04-2017 at 03:59 PM.