NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-15-2009, 01:24 AM
abrahamrudy abrahamrudy is offline
Abraham Rudy
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 111
Default Jim Rowe Postcards

Can anyone shed some light on Jim Rowe postcards for me? When were they printed, issued, what are they worth, etc?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-15-2009, 10:26 AM
slidekellyslide's Avatar
slidekellyslide slidekellyslide is offline
Dan Bretta
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamrudy View Post
Can anyone shed some light on Jim Rowe postcards for me? When were they printed, issued, what are they worth, etc?
1960s-1970s...He used Burke and Brace photos and put them on Kodak backed postcard paper. They are not worth a whole lot and you can pick up most of them for a buck or two when you find them in lots. It's a cheap way to get photos of early 20th century players, but sometimes the quality is lacking.
__________________
Looking for Nebraska Indians memorabilia, photos and postcards
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-15-2009, 03:45 PM
abrahamrudy abrahamrudy is offline
Abraham Rudy
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
1960s-1970s...He used Burke and Brace photos and put them on Kodak backed postcard paper. They are not worth a whole lot and you can pick up most of them for a buck or two when you find them in lots. It's a cheap way to get photos of early 20th century players, but sometimes the quality is lacking.
Is there a catalog of them anywhere? I found one of a player (Sam Nahem) who last played in 1948. Was that likely printed in the 60's and 70's? Or before?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-15-2009, 04:50 PM
slidekellyslide's Avatar
slidekellyslide slidekellyslide is offline
Dan Bretta
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5,602
Default

There is no catalog for them...They were definitely made in the 1960s or 70s. Not sure how he went about selling them...he may have advertised in the Sporting News or something like that. In 1977 he apparently sold sets of the 1956 Braves and 1929 Cubs..The SCD lists the original price for the sets so he must have advertised them somewhere. I've heard lots of people say that the Rowe postcards go back to the 1950s, but I have yet to see any proof of that.

I think if you were trying to collect all the postcards that Rowe put out it could be a neverending task.
__________________
Looking for Nebraska Indians memorabilia, photos and postcards
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-15-2009, 07:51 PM
abrahamrudy abrahamrudy is offline
Abraham Rudy
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 111
Default

I'm not trying to collect all of them, but I am trying to identify this one particular postcard. It strikes me as odd that he would sell a postcard of a no-name player 20 years after his retirement, which is why I'm suspicious that it dates from the late 40s or 50s.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-15-2009, 08:47 PM
slidekellyslide's Avatar
slidekellyslide slidekellyslide is offline
Dan Bretta
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamrudy View Post
I'm not trying to collect all of them, but I am trying to identify this one particular postcard. It strikes me as odd that he would sell a postcard of a no-name player 20 years after his retirement, which is why I'm suspicious that it dates from the late 40s or 50s.
Almost all of the Jim Rowe postcards are of players who were retired...and it's not odd to see a "no-name" player...I see them all the time and have owned many. Jim Rowe was not making postcards in the 1940s or 50s and I'll stand by that until someone offers proof.
__________________
Looking for Nebraska Indians memorabilia, photos and postcards
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-15-2009, 09:45 PM
abrahamrudy abrahamrudy is offline
Abraham Rudy
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Almost all of the Jim Rowe postcards are of players who were retired...and it's not odd to see a "no-name" player...I see them all the time and have owned many. Jim Rowe was not making postcards in the 1940s or 50s and I'll stand by that until someone offers proof.
I'll take your word for it. I just wondered because my internet research came up with surprisingly little for Jim Rowe. I'll keep looking.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-16-2009, 07:59 AM
scgaynor's Avatar
scgaynor scgaynor is offline
Scott Gaynor
member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 132
Default

He did them as a collector issue for guys who wanted player photos of a specific team or a specific year. You can't have a complete 1948 Phillies set without Sam Nahem, so he created a postcard of Sam Nahem. There was a relatively small group of early collectors who would write to each other looking for specific player photos and Rowe was one of the guys that would fill their needs, especially since he had Burke's images.

Scott
__________________
Monthly consignment auctions of Sports Memorabilia, Antiques and Collectibles.
www.scgaynor.com
Ebay ID: Estate-Finders
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-16-2009, 10:16 AM
abrahamrudy abrahamrudy is offline
Abraham Rudy
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgaynor View Post
He did them as a collector issue for guys who wanted player photos of a specific team or a specific year. You can't have a complete 1948 Phillies set without Sam Nahem, so he created a postcard of Sam Nahem. There was a relatively small group of early collectors who would write to each other looking for specific player photos and Rowe was one of the guys that would fill their needs, especially since he had Burke's images.

Scott
So basically he was a photograph collector. I guess that makes sense. I wonder how the licensing worked for those pictures...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-16-2009, 10:38 AM
slidekellyslide's Avatar
slidekellyslide slidekellyslide is offline
Dan Bretta
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamrudy View Post
So basically he was a photograph collector. I guess that makes sense. I wonder how the licensing worked for those pictures...
He wasn't a collector as far as I know, but he was a photographer who I believe worked with George Brace and thus had access to probably the world's largest archive of baseball negatives.
__________________
Looking for Nebraska Indians memorabilia, photos and postcards
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
jim rowe, postcards



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rose Company Postcards...falling off or just another economy result? Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 14 10-05-2008 06:43 PM
Mr. Binder & Rose Co. postcards Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 17 05-04-2007 11:50 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 AM.


ebay GSB