NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-16-2015, 08:55 AM

Default B-Unc Felts - Real???

Did anyone see the B-Unc felts that just ended on eBay? Do you think they were real??? They went for a nice price, considering the seller seems to imply they might not be real...

felts.jpg

Here's a group posted on Net54 a while back. Notice how much more detail there is. The names are on banners, not just in a blob of white.

b_felts.jpg
Old 02-16-2015, 09:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I am not sure I have seen those players in the case before? If not, then it is unlikely they are reprints, imo. That being said, I always take into strong consideration when someone says something they are selling may not be good, because they are usually correct. Not always though . My gut tells me they are questionable....but would need to see in person to be sure. (true that some detail is lacking, especially McBride.....so ....caveat emptor)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pbuncmcbride.jpg (70.0 KB, 530 views)

Last edited by Leon; 02-16-2015 at 09:24 AM. Reason: changed stance...
Old 02-16-2015, 09:23 AM
Tom Boblitt

Great question.....I have NO idea but as a former collector of BF2's and BF3's, it seems like a really good screenprinter could maybe pull some of this stuff off. Don't know. They are neat, and if real, were a nice find. What did they sell for?
Old 02-16-2015, 09:54 AM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

They are real. Here are a few others. I think I have counted 12 or 13 known players so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1912 unc 6.jpg (77.9 KB, 516 views)

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 02-16-2015, 09:55 AM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

His is some info on a Legendary offering from 2012

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/cir...lot125039.aspx

1913 Cravats pennants

Old 02-16-2015, 10:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
His is some info on a Legendary offering from 2012

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/cir...lot125039.aspx
My only question on the ones shown was their apparent lack of detail. However, as stated, I hadn't seen some of those players before, which was good.

Last edited by Leon; 02-16-2015 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:10 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Yep- i saw them about 2 days before it ended...i had to do some research as to 'what they were?' I thought some type of Ferguson Bakery thing, hence the pennants..I just quit looking and to not bother someone at all. But thanks for bringing this up, and glad to know what they were atleast.
I liked the 'YOU DECIDE" and mis-spelled HONUS WAGNOR
Here the LINK: http://www.ebay.com/itm/You-Decide-L...p2047675.l2557
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 02-16-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:11 AM

They sold for $1,086.90. Not doing well posting the link, but you can search completed auctions for this title: "You Decide—Looks to be Antique Honus Wagnor Felt Trading "Card" + 3 More, Framed"
Old 02-16-2015, 10:12 AM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
My only question on the ones shown was their apparent lack of detail. However, as stated, I hadn't seen some of those players before, which was good.
Here are some close-ups the seller had. Granted they are through glass, but they look just like the dozen others I have seen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mcbride 2.jpg (38.4 KB, 499 views)
File Type: jpg hooper.jpg (45.1 KB, 496 views)
File Type: jpg chase.jpg (40.4 KB, 496 views)
File Type: jpg wagner.jpg (43.5 KB, 496 views)

1913 Cravats pennants

Old 02-16-2015, 10:25 AM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I am not sure I have seen those players in the case before? If not, then it is unlikely they are reprints, imo. That being said, I always take into strong consideration when someone says something they are selling may not be good, because they are usually correct. Not always though . My gut tells me they are questionable....but would need to see in person to be sure. (true that some detail is lacking, especially McBride.....so ....caveat emptor)
This is interesting too. Here is a scan of another McBride that I had saved. They are actually different images if you look at the details. It really makes you wonder how these were produced and how many were produced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (32.3 KB, 492 views)
File Type: jpg McBride.jpg (44.2 KB, 492 views)

1913 Cravats pennants

Old 02-16-2015, 10:58 AM
Brad Pencil

I guess my question would be why is the pennant at the bottom not complete on only the ones that were just sold. Out of all the examples shown, personal, Legendary etc, the pennants seem complete where here they are just sort of blobs with names. Maybe just a different version but I would say that is what strikes me as odd. Not saying good or bad just pointing it out.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:35 AM

That is true. The names aren't pennants, they are just markers. Maybe two different sets?
Old 02-16-2015, 08:32 PM
Ron Rice

Default Felts

I have a Chief Meyers felt, with the pennants. I've seen 20-30 of these over the years but don't remember ever seeing any without the pennants at the bottom. Also, the artwork on the player poses seems a bit more detailed on the ones with the pennants.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:15 PM
Bill T.

These are like the E-91s of felts. All the catcher poses are slightly different but look to be from the same master image. Differences in sleeve wrinkles, etc. Same for the first basemen.

A grand seems like a lot of money for a Heinie Wagner.

Here's my list of the ones I've seen or seen pics of. The ones from this week make 15 different players, plus 3 dupes that are in different colors.

Ainsmith red (FKW, now mine)
Ainsmith green (LegAuc 5/12)
Bender (according to FKW)
Chase purple (eBay 2/15)
Cobb red (FKW)
Herzog green (LegAuc 5/12)
Hooper red (eBay 2/15)
Lajoie blue (LegAuc 5/12)
Lange (acc to Jim Sexton)
Lord blue (LegAuc 5/12)
Matty green (LegAuc 5/12)
Meyers red (Jim Sexton)
McBride olive (eBay 2/15)
McBride red (Leon)
McBride blue (pic per Chris Sexton)
Richie green (Jim Sexton)
Wagner yellow (eBay 2/15)
Wheat (acc to FKW)

Bill
Old 02-17-2015, 06:56 AM

That is a pretty good point. There isn't just one Wagner and there's no team identifier.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:33 PM

Here are mine. I also bought the four discussed above. As for cost. the average cost of the eight I already possess was around 250 dollars each. To pay 1100 dollars for arguably two hall of famers and the best first baseman of the deadball era isn't that much of a stretch, especially since three out of the four felts are unique and possibly one of a kind items. As to authenticity, I will have to be the judge of that and will do so when I have them in hand. The seller does have a 14 day return policy. And finally, the rather sarcastic remark that I paid too much for a Heinie, I find that in rather poor taste. If the felt is judged to be authentic, I will always consider him Honus. You however are free to always consider him to be Heinie. Sincerely, jim sexton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0001.jpg (77.6 KB, 280 views)
Old 02-18-2015, 07:22 PM

Hopefully they are real. If so, the price is pretty good. Here's my Wheat:

b_unc_wheat_ft.jpg
Old 02-19-2015, 03:23 AM
Fr@nk H.0r.v@th

One piece of the puzzle that I feel may be of some importance as to the authenticity of these items is the frame. Impossible to draw a conclusion from the frame alone but it does look old to me. If and when the felts are removed from the frame I would be interested to see if there has been some discoloration on the black background. I am curious if the areas not covered by the felts are faded and the areas underneath the felts are darker. I doubt the piece sat in darkness for a hundred years so if they were framed circa 1910 I believe that there would likely be some sun damage. Not a concrete indicator either way, but something that I believe would add to the understanding of these items.

To the buyer, good luck with your purchase.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:59 AM
Bill T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty39 View Post
the rather sarcastic remark that I paid too much for a Heinie, I find that in rather poor taste. If the felt is judged to be authentic, I will always consider him Honus. You however are free to always consider him to be Heinie.
Jim,

Not intended as sarcastic, but a lame attempt at "humor." I, too, believe that is intended to be Honus. That's a fabulous group of unique pieces you've put together.

Bill
Old 02-19-2015, 06:22 AM
Tom Boblitt

Interesting that only on the four most recent do the ends of the pennants not exist. You think you would have other examples out there where the ends don't exist. BUT....if they were being faked, and someone went to the lengths of getting all the details down to that miss, it seems implausible too. I think they're real and just a later or different printing or copycat job. Very neat stuff. Jim Sexton is the king of felts. Glad they made it into his collection.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:40 PM

Default update

Sorry for the tardiness of this reply, but I just got back from an eight day vacation. When I opened my package with the framed four pennants any concerns I may have had about authenticity evaporated. By having the pennants in hand and examining the frame I had no doubts I had the real deal. The felt on several of the pennants was faded on the front side due to light exposure. The frame was not the original but had been re-purposed to house the pennants. But it was obvious from the rust on the nails and the dryness of the backing that the pennants had been in the frame for many years. In fact the original picture that had been in the frame had been used to strengthen the backing. I am sorry if initially I over reacted to some of your questions of authenticity. Right now I am feeling much more secure. Thanks, jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0001.jpg (77.8 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg scan0002.jpg (76.8 KB, 228 views)
Old 02-27-2015, 06:55 PM

Some additional information. The picture I mentioned in the above post that I found in the backing of the old frame said on the reverse that it was sold at the"camp curry studio". Doing a little research, I found that camp curry was an early 1900s camp located in Yosemite park. The camp was founded in 1899 and was very active in the teens and later. This kind of helps to date the frame. Sorry about the size of the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0003.jpg (77.5 KB, 225 views)
Old 03-03-2015, 07:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty39 View Post
Sorry for the tardiness of this reply, but I just got back from an eight day vacation. When I opened my package with the framed four pennants any concerns I may have had about authenticity evaporated. By having the pennants in hand and examining the frame I had no doubts I had the real deal. The felt on several of the pennants was faded on the front side due to light exposure. The frame was not the original but had been re-purposed to house the pennants. But it was obvious from the rust on the nails and the dryness of the backing that the pennants had been in the frame for many years. In fact the original picture that had been in the frame had been used to strengthen the backing. I am sorry if initially I over reacted to some of your questions of authenticity. Right now I am feeling much more secure. Thanks, jim
Congrats Jim, Those are definitely a little different design than most of the others known. I really like 'em.

Last edited by Leon; 03-03-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:28 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

I just wanted to bump this thread. I am wondering if anyone has seen any more of these show up in the past two years.

Thanks!

Chris

1913 Cravats pennants