NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Default Back from the framing shop

Posted By: Mike H

After three weeks and $480 spent I am happy to say the results of my first pennant framing exceeded my expectations. I went with the suede board and the deep shadow box period frame. I love every aspect of this piece and will be painting and reconfiguring my office soon. I hope you all like it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Very, very nice Mike. Was the $480 just for the framing or was that the total cost for the pennant and the framing?

Old 01-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tom salem

That is a fantastic looking piece!
What year is that pennant from?

Old 01-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Mike that looks awesome, great choice on everything.

Clint

Old 01-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

That was the framing cost Dan. Museum glass, invisible stitching, deluxe matting board, and a thick frame add up quickly.

The pennant dates the the teens.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Heagy

Mike,
Beautiful pennant !

Old 01-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Administrator

I didn't realize it was that expensive to frame a pennant the "right way". Worth it in the long run for sure, but wow...

Old 01-15-2008, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

Beautiful piece Mike! You should be very proud of it!
Enjoy!

Old 01-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

Mike... I don't see how you could have done this any better. It looks gorgeous. The suede matting matches the "Detroit" lettering to a tee, and the black frame really picks up the black felt of the pennant. You found the ideal combination...

So I guess the pennant is not directly up against the glass... how did you decide to adhere the pennant to the backing?

That is indeed an expensive job, but well woth the investment... this one looks far nicer than any of mine, and displays beautifully. Thanks for sharing this!

Old 01-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Mark. Thank you again for making this happen. For those who don't know, Mark parted with one of his treasured oversized pennants and I was the recipient of his generosity.

The pennant is about 3/4" from the glass. If you look along the right side of the pic you can see a strip of that suade board that covers the spacer. I visited two framers who specialize in both archival art and textile framing. They placed invisible stitches through just the surface of the felt on the back of the pennant as well as what they call museum tape. This type of tape is acid and residue free.

This pennant will likely never be removed from the frame, but it could be with the pennant completely in tact.

When considering the cost of preserving this piece, consider that this pennant is 36x14 and the frame is 42x22

Old 01-15-2008, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

Thanks Mike...

Perhaps it's an over-used term in the Industry, but this framing job is "museum-quality" to be sure...

Old 01-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Administrator

That's a lot bigger than I had imagined...I can see why it costs so much. That's about the same length as my Lincoln panorama and you just don't realize how long 42" is unless you're looking at it in person.

I think if I were a pennant collector I'd take a part time job in a framing shop to get the discount.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CarltonHendricks

Very nice Mike. I could get into pennants like those....What year is it from? Was it from a Detroit championship year? How many known? Let's start a thread about pennants...Mike show some other great ones.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Hi Carlton. You should definately stay away from pennants...ha ha. The year is unknown, but probably 1910 to 1919. It's the only example I or others I have communicated with have seen. We had a few great pennant threads a while back, but I always love seeing them. If you use the search feature you will find them.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Nice job on framing the pennant, Mike. It really looks sharp.

One of these days, if another Sox pennant comes along with the tassels intact, I was thinking of the option of tying the tassels to a narrow cane and framing it the way these things probably looked in the ballpark in the early 20th century. Maybe even have a reprint of Fenway Park as the background. I think that would look sharp, too.

Anyway, congrats on a great job and great pennant. You need to hang that one over the mantle.

Best,

Greg

Old 01-16-2008, 01:00 PM
Administrator

I love the cane idea Greg. The background is interesting, but I wonder if it would distract.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Hey, I just picked up an old c1920s carnival cane that has a porcelain or ceramic baseball on top of it. That would be perfect for a pennant. You guys just gave me an idea....thanks.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Was just reading the fascinating posts about PSA half grades on the card side...

Good thing PSA doesn't make Kool Aid.

Makes me appreciate that beautiful frame and pennant even more, Mike.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Greg

That framing job is a 9; no way it is a 9.5

Max

Old 01-18-2008, 03:26 PM
Administrator

I would love to have all of my pennants framed, but it is cost and space prohibitive.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob L

All I can say is Awesome!! Congrats.

Rob L

Rob L

http://www.freewebs.com/loefflerrd/

Old 01-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mike rothstein

That's a beautiful job Mike.

It's worth every penny - many framers say they know what they're doing but only a handful know how to properly "save" an item from being damaged.

I have many pieces where the framing cost way more than the item. Displaying them is part of the pleasure - one of the reasons I collect more on the memorabilia side now than cards as such.

Thanx for sharing.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TODD EVANS

Mike, that is a beautiful piece that you have there. It looks real sharp. I think items that are custom framed look so good displayed. I have to share a couple of mine that I have. I came up with the design and layout and a company from California did the hard work. The Reese piece is framed with an original photo from 1942 that is one of my favorite items in my collection. The Musial and Williams piece was framed with a wire photo from 1959.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:39 AM
Administrator

Great design work and items Todd! You really enhanced every piece and the mixture of images and texture are terrific. That took some real skill on the part of your framer and I'm sure it wasn't inexpensive...ha ha.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: TODD EVANS

Thanks Mike. No they are not cheap as I think in just those two I have about $750 in framing cost, but I think it is well worth it.