NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-15-2003, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Default New Auction site! Pe-1920 baseball cards *only*

Posted By: James Verrill

Greetings to the board.

I would like to briefly announce a new venture I am undertaking: a completely automated internet auction site. The site will feature auctions every single month, and will be comprised ONLY of pre-1920 baseball cards.

www.baseballvintage.com

I made the decision to embark upon this new site, because I am tired of weeding through "graded magazine cutouts", reprints, inaccurately described cards, and "vintage material" that is younger than I am. What I am offering is a site that will feature 30-50 lots per month, most being SGC or PSA graded, with the average condition being VG/EX. No lower-end junk and no prohibitively expensive museum pieces.

The first auction will take place August 1st-10th, 2003. All lots will be listed the first day of the auction, and live internet is open during the entire duration the auction is running. Registration is FREE, and the site has been designed for easy and fast navigation.

Shipping and insurance is FREE.

The first auction will feature a number of very attractive cards, including an N172 Greenwood card graded SGC 84, a T205 Ty Cobb American Beauty gold border card graded PSA 3, and N172 card of HOFer John Clarkson graded SGC 60, and a PSA graded Gypsy Queen cigarettes card. These are only a few examples of what is being offered. There will also be numerous graded T206 Hall of Famer cards, a T206 Oldring card with a Lenox back, T207's, and many other issues represented.

Please take a minute to register. Once you have done so, you will receive email notifications to let you know when lots are posted, and when the auction officially opens.

I hope everyone from this board will visit and offer feedback as to how the site can be continuously improved, with the objective of serving the serious pre-1920 collector.

http://www.baseballvintage.com

James Verrill

Old 07-15-2003, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dano

hey Jim, I joined so I must like it! dan.

Old 07-15-2003, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John(z28jd)

a great idea James,i signed up too and i wish you all the best of luck with it

Old 07-16-2003, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Thanks, guys. I hope you will both enjoy the selection of cards that are to be included.

Over 100 people registered yesterday!

JV

Old 07-16-2003, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: HalleyGator

If John's in ... I'm in.

Old 07-16-2003, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mrc32

I'll join up, but when do you plan to put your cards up for viewing. I see you have 3 cards listed in the top right of your home page.

Do you plan on having others in your 1st auction?

Nice site!

Old 07-16-2003, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

it's only 3 cards it will be the smallest darn auction..... I am sure there will be more....I am a little surprised Elliot hasn't found something to delete in this thread though......give it time I guess....regards all

Old 07-16-2003, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

Back off you hyenas! He said he'd email when he was ready.

Old 07-16-2003, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JC

If Leon's "IN" I'm in!

Old 07-17-2003, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I'm in.....let the games begin....well, whenever they're ready

Old 07-17-2003, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John(z28jd)

If Hal is in then im out because i cant compete with him. He gets a bigger allowance to spend on cards then i do.....damn you Hal,damn you to hell!!!......eh im just kidding,we dont even collect the same things,and its good to hear from Hal,where you been?????

Old 07-17-2003, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Wow. Where to begin?

First - the August 1st-August 10th, 2003 auction will be comprised of between 30 and 40 individual lots. That will be the case every month, as well. The lots will not be online for viewing until August 1st. The 3 or 4 items at top right are just there to give a sense of what type of material will be offered: pre-1920 cards, many graded, all very desirable to the serious collector.

There are 3 categories - pre-1900, early 20th century, and "bargain basement". The majority of the cards are graded by SGC or PSA, with the exception of bargain basement cards.

The specific intention of the site is to offer middle-condition cards, so cards are generally between a 50(4) and an 84(7). There will be a few exceptions - namely, cards that are difficult and desirable (such as an E92 Dockman Wagner featured in the September auction, and a T205 Cobb American Beauty graded an SGC 40), and cards that I personally feel have been undergraded or that offer exceptional eye appeal, despite some minor technical flaw.

I have the first 3 auctions set up and ready to go. After that, I will be accepting consignments, and subsidizing the listings with some of my own cards. I WILL NOT BE CHARGING A CONSIGNMENT FEE. Ever heard of such a thing? Call it 0%, if you like. I will simply post a consignment contract for folks to download, sign, and send in with their consignment. They will receive a confirmation contract back from me, signed, etc. The conditions will be that: 1)the cards have to be compatible with the condition and authenticity guidelines established by me (i.e., cards have to be "real", cards have to be "cards" - not magazine cutouts, cards have to be baseball genre, cards have to be vg-ex as a general rule, and cards cannot be graded by a disreputable grading company), and 2) you pay to ship them to me. Pretty basic stuff. Whatever the card sells for - I send you a check for. That simple. And, payment goes out immediately upon the auction close - no month long delays. I am sure there may be a few exceptions (say, the card is valued at $10,000...), but they will be few and far between. The intent of the site is not to make a bundle of money - its to offer an alternative source for people tired of "Reach", "AAA", reprints, cards from the 1960's described as vintage, cards with holes described as NM, etc. The philosophy is quite simply to offer better middle-condition cards, only pre-1920, only baseball, only authentic, with concise descriptions and clear images, every month. I am tired of horrible customer service, sellers claiming they don't know what they are selling, no responses to important questions, tiny scans that are anything but an accurate representation of what you are bidding on, and sites that are impossible to navigate. And payment is easy: practically anything but lira; PayPal, money order, check...

We'll see where this goes. But, my hope is that it will be embraced as an acceptable environment for true collectors to frequent and call home. Exactly how good the site grows to be will be largely dependent upon the consignments offered after the first three months have passed. So, start going thinking now about what you might have to offer. What can you lose? It won't cost you anything - except shipping (and possibly insurance).

Thanks to everyone for their support and feedback. I have learned a great deal from many of the contributors to this board, and I am appreciative. I have had more registrations than I could have hoped for, and I know that this is largely because many of you have supported my initiative, and taken on the responsibility of spreading the word. That, too, is appreciated.

Also look for my ad in this issue of VCBC magazine. In a couple of months, I may advertise in the SMR and Beckett, as well.

Regards,
James Verrill
www.baseballvintage.com

Old 07-17-2003, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Billy Martin, Jr.

Here we go...a terrific alternative to E-bay, as was wished for in another thread. I don't have anything of that genre to offer up yet, but I will certainly particpate in the bidding to support what I hope will turn out to be a great alternative.

Can't wait to see the first lots.

Old 07-17-2003, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richey

But I am pumped. Can't wait to see this thing up and running...getting tired of Ebay.

Old 07-18-2003, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

So...am I understanding correctly...there will be no seller's fee, just a buyer's fee?

Old 08-03-2003, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BBV

FYI: THIS IS NOW IN PROGRESS.

WWW.BASEBALLVINTAGE.COM

Old 08-03-2003, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom L.

the opening bid is a bit steep for me on most.

Nice not to have a reserve though . . .