NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-31-2014, 09:08 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
I think PM is the designation for pins sold at ballpark souvenir stands.
But why? What's the P stand for? What's the M stand for?
Old 08-31-2014, 09:38 AM
Mike Kendall

The PM designation came from the American card catalog originally published by Burdick and later revised by Buck Barker. I don't think the P and the M stand for anything, they are just used to designate different types of collectibles. PM 10 were definitely those pins sold by vendors outside stadiums.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:00 AM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
The PM designation came from the American card catalog originally published by Burdick and later revised by Buck Barker. I don't think the P and the M stand for anything, they are just used to designate different types of collectibles. PM 10 were definitely those pins sold by vendors outside stadiums.
I found this in a post by David Hornish. It doesn't provide the definition of the PM acronym either.

http://www.oldbaseball.com/refs/typecards.html
http://www.oldbaseball.com/refs/typecards.txt

40s-60s PM 10 STADIUM PHOTO ISSUE-PIN
40s-60s PM 10 STADIUM PHOTO ISSUE-PIN COLORED BACKGROUND
40s-60s PM 10 STADIUM PHOTO ISSUE-PIN COLOR PHOTO
40s-60s PM 10 STADIUM PHOTO ISSUE-PIN BLACK BORDER
40s-60s PM 10 STADIUM PHOTO ISSUE-PIN GREEN BORDER
40s-60s PM 10 STADIUM PHOTO ISSUE-PIN RED BORDER
40s-60s PM 10 STADIUM PHOTO ISSUE-PIN WHITE BORDER
40s-60s PM 10 STADIUM PHOTO ISSUE-PIN WHITE BORDER-TEAM NAME ON TOP
Old 09-08-2014, 12:26 PM
Rob

Quote:
I have been trying to learn as much as possible about these pins. Earlier I posed a number of questions about them. I thought I would share what I have learned to date.

What years were they produced?
I believe that they were issued from 1971 through 1974.
• The uniforms worn by Fingers and Tenace were last worn by the A’s in 1971.
• Getty images of Willie Stargell indicate that he began wearing the black helmet in July of 1970 and wore it until early in 1971.
• Willie Mays played for the Mets in 1972-1973
• Orlando Cepeda only played for the Red Sox in 1973
• Ron Santo only played for the White Sox in 1974

Are they all easel backed?
The reverse of those issued in 1971 did not have an easel back. The pin was attached to the back via two slots where attached the pin was notched. The image itself was wrapped around the curved outer shell and secured by a flat circular disc on the reverse which also housed the pin mechanism.

Those issued after 1971 seem to have replaced the metal disc backing with a cardboard easel back. The two exceptions to this I have encountered are Scott Garners Nolan Ryan and Willie Mays.

How were they marketed?
I have not found any packaging information to date. However I have come across a few that have a $1.00 price stamped on the cardboard easel (see Hebner photo) which leads me to believe that they were sold at ballpark souvenir stands.

Are there any known scarcities or variations?
So far I have found that the easels were produced in blue, tan, green, white, and yellow (thanks ooo-ribay). The pin with the head shot of Clemente is supposedly very scarce and commands a premium. I recently purchased mine for $80.00. I have no idea if I overpaid. Nonetheless it is the only one I have ever encountered. Prior to this I had not even seen a picture of it so I am pleased with the price. Advanced Nolan Ryan collector Scott Garner reports the Ryan pin is very scarce as well. To date I have only found Clemente, Hebner, Aparicio, and Tiant to have more than one version of the pin. Mike Kendall reports that the Santo pin exists with both Cubs and White Sox versions.

Is there a name or designation for this set?
None that I could find, however, both of the blue easel backs I own have instructions printed on them. They also have manufacturer information which was obscured by black marker. The printing on both states made in the USA and attributes the photo to Canadian photographer Fred Bruemmer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Bruemmer there is a manufacturer name that cannot be discerned and in capital letters DIVISION OF STANDARD PACKAGING CORPORATION. A little research indicates that this was a New York based company. A Supreme Court of Minnesota finding Standard Packaging v. Com'r of Revenue 288 N.W.2d 234 (1979) December 21, 1979 states, “Standard Packaging Corporation (hereinafter referred to as "Standard"), a New York corporation, does business in Minnesota as Brown & Bigelow (hereinafter referred to as "B. & B."). B. & B. is engaged in the business of selling advertising specialties”.http://www.brownandbigelow.com/ Perhaps they could be called the Brown & Bigelow PM10s? I am considering reaching out to Brown and Bigelow to see if they could shed any light on these pins or verify that they were in fact the producers. I know my research makes a number of assumptions but at least it's a start. Does anyone else have any theories or opinions.
and another thing I just noticed....some of my Giants pins say "San Francisco" and others say "San Fran."
Old 09-10-2014, 10:04 PM
Mikeknapp

Although these circa 1965-66 lenticular pins are not difficult to find I have always liked them. I have the Dodger and Angel versions in my collection already. The reason for my post is to share my recent pick up of the Astros pin. I thought others may be interested in seeing how these were originally packaged as this is the first time I have seen one attached to the display board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dodgers.jpg (69.1 KB, 566 views)
File Type: jpg astros.jpg (70.0 KB, 567 views)
Old 09-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Rob

I love those pins too, Mike. You don't see the Giants versions all that often, even though Burlingame is in the Bay Area. I love the manufacturer's name....Dimensional Research....as if guys in white lab coats were turning these out. I appreciate seeing the original packaging, especially the guy who appears to be wearing the pin in his local liquor store.

Are you sure the "Astronut" is an Astros pin? It seems like, if that were the case, it might say "Astrosnut." Perhaps it was just capitalizing on all the interest in space travel at that time. Also, the others are all California teams...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan_14911111357_1.jpg (78.3 KB, 550 views)
Old 09-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Al

Mike I dont know about the astronut as it might be about space but I know there is a cubs one and here is the Mets one I have.

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..

Last edited by batsballsbases; 04-20-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
Mike I dont know about the astronut as it might be about space but I know there is a cubs one and here is the Mets one I have.
Hey Al - is your Mets example marked "Dimensional Research" on the back?
Old 09-11-2014, 05:20 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Hey Al - is your Mets example marked "Dimensional Research" on the back?
Yes..

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Old 09-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Are you sure the "Astronut" is an Astros pin? It seems like, if that were the case, it might say "Astrosnut." Perhaps it was just capitalizing on all the interest in space travel at that time. Also, the others are all California teams...
Quote:
I had the same thought. I believe they were produced in 1965 as reflected by the Dodgers World Series championship of that year. Due to this I thought there was a reasonable chance that it was an Astros pin as they has changed their name from Colt 45s to Astros that year. However, I'm certainly willing to concede that may not be the case

Last edited by 71buc; 09-11-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:03 PM
Al

Quote:
I had the same thought. I believe they were produced in 1965 as reflected by the Dodgers World Series championship of that year. Due to this I thought there was a reasonable chance that it was an Astros pin as they has changed their name from Colt 45s to Astros that year. However, I'm certainly willing to concede that may not be the case
Hi Mike,
The only reason I say that is because everyone of these that I have seen always seems to mention the team on the pin. I think if it was Houston Astros they would have put it in the pin. Just my thought.

Last edited by batsballsbases; 09-11-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:55 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Nobody has mentioned the Detroit Tigers/Briggs Stadium version yet, but IMHO it's the niftiest of them all.

Will post a pic of mine when time allows (unless Mike H or someone else beats me to it)

Last edited by perezfan; 09-12-2014 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:10 AM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Nobody has mentioned the Detroit Tigers/Briggs Stadium version yet, but IMHO it's the niftiest of them all.

Will post a pic of mine when time allows (unless Mike H or someone else beats me to it)
Hi Mark,
I have that one also but I believe its made by Vari-Vue from Mt Vernon N.Y. not Dimensional Research from Cal.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:15 AM
Al

Mark,
If you were thinking of this one its made by Vari-Vue... And Mark that was a great example of using the word Niftiest in a sentence!

Last edited by batsballsbases; 04-20-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:00 AM
Mike Kendall

Here's the Cubs version made by Vari-Vue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (42.7 KB, 561 views)
Old 09-12-2014, 12:51 PM
Rob

Quote:
Mark,
If you were thinking of this one its made by Vari-Vue... And Mark that was a great example of using the work Niftiest in a sentence!
What years would you think this one dates from?
Old 09-12-2014, 02:38 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Thanks Al.... That's the one!

You almost need two pictures of each of these, just to show off both views.

Rob:
As for the timing of the Tigers Pin... I would guess early '60s. The style of graphics look a bit earlier, but I don't think this technology was around anytime before the 60s. Al can probably provide a more precise answer, but that's my educated guess!

Last edited by perezfan; 09-12-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:42 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
Here's the Cubs version made by Vari-Vue.
Hi Mike yes thats the Vari-Vue cubs one but I do know there is a Dimensional Research Cubs pin out there also. Different graphics and in white edge.

Mark,
That is what I would have said also my friend early 60s..

Old 09-12-2014, 04:59 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Shame on me....I didn't know Briggs and Tiger Stadium were one in the same (NL guy). When did they stop calling it "Briggs"?
Old 09-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Jim H

After seeing some of these amazing pin collections I decided to display mine. Yesterday, I went to Michaels Arts and Craft store and was going to by a shadow box or frame. Their had to be 30 people in line and only two cashiers. So I walked out of the store and will go back another day.
My question, is it best to buy a shadow box and put some type of foam in the background or purchase a regular frame and squeeze them in? Some advice please.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:06 PM
Mike H.

I purchased mine at Michaels. They have the foam backing already covered with felt.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:09 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Do they still sell those, Mike? The Michaels around here (and every other Seattle retailer) stopped carrying them. I've given up looking. The only shadowboxes they sell now have a big void (2" of air space) between the glass and the backing.

The ones where the foam filled the void between the back and the glass are now extinct. So I've had to go with less attractive Riker Cases (which I can find only on-line).
Old 09-15-2014, 08:26 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtigers65 View Post
After seeing some of these amazing pin collections I decided to display mine. Yesterday, I went to Michaels Arts and Craft store and was going to by a shadow box or frame. Their had to be 30 people in line and only two cashiers. So I walked out of the store and will go back another day.
That's par for the course at Michaels! God, I hate that place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtigers65 View Post
My question, is it best to buy a shadow box and put some type of foam in the background or purchase a regular frame and squeeze them in? Some advice please.
I get mine at indianriverdisplay.com

On a related pin note, a 3.5" Willie Mays PM-10 just went for a criminally low price on ebay
Old 09-19-2014, 02:53 PM
Shale Levine

Default pin display boxes

I just picked these two 16" X 20" cases up at Hobby Lobby. After their 1/2 price special I got them for a total of $38.00 tax included. I put my pins on the cotton front, but, if you want you can remove it and their is a cloth pin pad to put them on. I still have one more board for all my pm10 buttons that are not dodgers to buy and fill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buttons 2 (2).jpg (76.1 KB, 556 views)
File Type: jpg buttons 1 (2).jpg (77.7 KB, 557 views)
Old 09-19-2014, 03:11 PM
Mike H.

Looks great Shale!

When it comes to pins there are few bad answers. It's really more about function than form IMO.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 09-19-2014, 03:12 PM

Sweet! What is the pin in the bottom left corner underneath Duke Snider? -- can't tell because of glare.

Greg
Old 09-19-2014, 07:03 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Looks great and good deal! Sure wish we had Hobby lobby around here
Old 09-19-2014, 09:18 PM
Shale Levine

mlb duke snider button
Old 09-19-2014, 11:03 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
I own a Clemente from the same "issue". The work was done by a single photographer. I had researched it some time ago and cannot recall his name right now. He was a team photographer for a professional sports team. He did a number of portraits of Major Leaguers. I own/have owned both pins and proof photos of Clemente, Mays, Rose, G. Perry and a number of Red Sox players. I spoke with the photographers nephew a few years back. He still has the negatives, but was a bit skeptical about speaking with me about them - perhaps because whatever was "released" had no license. I have had my eye out for these pins for over 20 years - they are EXTREMELY scarce. The brewers group pictured is the first time I recall seeing any Brewers. The style of the photograph is the giveaway - They are always - players in uniform set against a solid color background - VERY high quality posing and image quality. The pins I have seen are also different sizes. I have seen at least 1 "super size" image of Clemente

I thought I would share this photo I came across that coo berates your super size description. It appears that Vera Clemente owns one that may have come from the same photo shoot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66904a_lg.jpg (66.9 KB, 525 views)
File Type: jpg Corbis-U1764083.jpg (40.7 KB, 523 views)
Old 09-20-2014, 09:12 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Hope you guys don't mind me posting a hockey pin...
This is a 1938 Quaker Oats Toronto Maple Leaf premium.

Thanks,

Brent
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (76.3 KB, 512 views)
Old 09-20-2014, 09:14 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Here's one more...

1904 Owen Sound hockey stick pin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (79.0 KB, 675 views)
Old 09-20-2014, 11:09 AM
Jim H

Shale,

Thanks for the tip. I went to Hobby Lobby this morning and picked up a couple 16 x 20 boxes. This looks like a good project to do today.

Jim
Old 09-20-2014, 03:49 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Saw these on the Topps site and since I like old school buttons decided to order a set. Said that they were limited to less than 75 sets per team I ordered a full set of every team plus two Yankee sets. One I opened up and is shown here. This year they produced a number of 5x7 sets that had old school themes 67 stickers 69 posters 58 all stars. All a little tough to store and display but just cannot help myself. The buttons on the other hand should display very nicely since I have a hobby lobby down the road.
J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20140920_17_35_03_Pro.jpg (73.9 KB, 657 views)
Old 09-20-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Saw these on the Topps site and since I like old school buttons decided to order a set. Said that they were limited to less than 75 sets per team I ordered a full set of every team plus two Yankee sets. One I opened up and is shown here. This year they produced a number of 5x7 sets that had old school themes 67 stickers 69 posters 58 all stars. All a little tough to store and display but just cannot help myself. The buttons on the other hand should display very nicely since I have a hobby lobby down the road.
J
Didn't know they made pinbacks for current teams. I went to the Topps site and they don't list the Nationals. Must be sold out. Bummer.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:43 PM
Jonathan Sterling

They only had pin sets for 11 teams and the Nat's were not one. I had seen that they did some retro pins earlier this year. For the 74 A's the 77 yanks the 86 Mets the 79 Pirates etc. But these were the only buttons of Current players I had ever seen offered by Topps. It would be nice if they caught on and maybe bought along a new generation of Pin/Button collectors the hobby can use all the new blood it can get.
J
Old 09-24-2014, 09:46 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

Anyone have a current resource for valuation?

Last edited by delesch; 09-24-2014 at 09:47 AM. Reason: text
Old 10-08-2014, 11:54 AM

Bump, anyone?
Old 10-08-2014, 01:51 PM

Ebay prices anywhere from 600 to 800 retail
Old 10-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by delesch View Post
Bump, anyone?
Sure. Just got this on on ebay for 40 bucks. 1" diameter. Not super thrilling but if it's Giants, I want it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _12.JPG (45.3 KB, 522 views)
Old 10-16-2014, 07:36 AM

Just picked up this one -- I've never seen it before and really like the look of it.
The photo for some reason makes it look much rougher than it really is.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pin.jpg (65.1 KB, 497 views)
Old 10-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
Just picked up this one -- I've never seen it before and really like the look of it.
The photo for some reason makes it look much rougher than it really is.

Greg
I like it too. Any idea who the gent in the hat is?
Old 10-17-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I like it too. Any idea who the gent in the hat is?
Joe Engel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Engel
Old 10-18-2014, 06:13 AM

Thanks Seattle -- that's what the seller thought too. I haven't done any research yet to find out any more.

Greg
Old 10-18-2014, 09:33 AM
Aa.ron Pa.tton
Banned

Not as knock-you-over amazing (IMHO) as Mike's Kiner find -- but, got this one as a 6.95 BIN, & was pretty psyched. It had been sitting for a little less than 2-hours; I was shocked that it was now in my lap.

I'd never seen one from the series before (or at least noticed) -- and ironically a "foxy" Staley from the same issue popped up within 48-hours of my pick-up (congrats, Al). Weird how our hobby works sometimes.

Sorry for the bad photo -- took it from the listing. Got a new scanner & trying to figure out the settings:

c1953-54//1.75'' for anyone keeping score at home
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57.jpg (73.6 KB, 516 views)

Last edited by CobbvLajoie1910; 10-18-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:27 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbvLajoie1910 View Post
Not as knock-you-over amazing (IMHO) as Mike's Kiner find -- but, got this one as a 6.95 BIN, & was pretty psyched. It had been sitting for a little less than 2-hours; I was shocked that it was now in my lap.

I'd never seen one from the series before (or at least noticed) -- and ironically a "foxy" Staley from the same issue popped up within 48-hours of my pick-up (congrats, Al). Weird how our hobby works sometimes.

Sorry for the bad photo -- took it from the listing. Got a new scanner & trying to figure out the settings:

six freaking ninety five!
Old 10-25-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbvLajoie1910 View Post

Nice job, Aaron! I've got to put Haddix on my want list now.
PLMK if you ever would like to sell it.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:05 PM

Love the Harvey Aaron. This thread needs more pin back photos (and more cowbell).

Greg

www.baseballbasement.com (plenty of inexpensive pinbacks for sale)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (75.1 KB, 432 views)
Old 10-26-2014, 06:06 PM

And more --
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.9 KB, 433 views)
Old 10-26-2014, 06:42 PM

A few more --

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Melepresidentpinandmore.jpg (78.3 KB, 430 views)
File Type: jpg Dimaggiobatpins.jpg (73.1 KB, 432 views)
File Type: jpg twopins.jpg (25.2 KB, 432 views)
Old 10-27-2014, 10:39 AM
Howard Chasser

Default forget the pins.....Nice Jello and Transogram boxes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
A few more --

Greg
Which ones do you have.