NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Rob Miller

Default OT: RIP Bob Feller

One of the all time greats, and a true American hero....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5924684
Old 12-15-2010, 09:03 PM
Christ0pher C@ssidy

Bob Feller was indeed a true American hero. Signed with the Indians at age 16, and played his first game of MLB baseball at age 17. One of the original flame-throwers and a legend on the mound. 266 lifetime wins and 2,581 strikeouts. Three (3) no-hitters to go with twelve (12) one-hitters. Led the Indians pitching staff to Cleveland's last World Series victory in 1948.

After the USA was attacked at Pearl Harbor, Feller was the first MLB player to enlist. Had he not missed four (4) seasons, his stats would have been all the more impressive. Even though he had qualified for a deferment, Feller chose to give up some of his prime baseball years to serve his country as a member of the US Navy.

An eight (8) time All-Star, Feller led the league in wins six (6) times and strikeouts seven (7) times. He also led the league in hit batsmen six (6) times - now that's a pitcher who knew how to throw inside!

One of the all-time greats of the game.

Last edited by BlueDevil89; 12-15-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:06 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

A sad day, but he certainly had a long and full life. RIP
Old 12-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Banned

Bob Feller was inducted in Cooperstown in 1962, meaning he was a Hall of Famer for 48 years of his life. Can anyone think of a player who lived as long after his enshrinement? Pretty cool.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Bob Pomilla

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3SkFFltRjo
Old 12-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Rob Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Bob Feller was inducted in Cooperstown in 1962, meaning he was a Hall of Famer for 48 years of his life. Can anyone think of a player who lived as long after his enshrinement? Pretty cool.
I think Feller might hold that record, off the top of my head I think DiMaggio was about 44 or 45 years...I can't think of anyone else, but that is very interesting.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Jason Albregts

Goodbye Bob, you were not only one of the greatest players, you were an American hero.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:26 PM

They dont make them like that anymore. He was part of Americas Greatest Generation for sure. I have a HUGE amount of respect for the guys who willingly gave up their time in the majors (many of whom never were able to play again) to serve their country. He was certainly one of the greatest stories that the game of Baseball has ever produced and one of its top 5-10 pitchers of all time.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Steve Skibel

I was lucky to meet him in July this year and get his autograph in person. He was very nice! He was probably the last living HOFer that played in the 30's. RIP Mr. Feller.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter67up View Post
I was lucky to meet him in July this year and get his autograph in person. He was very nice! He was probably the last living HOFer that played in the 30's. RIP Mr. Feller.
I met Feller many times and I'll always remember that the best way to warm Bob up was to ask him about his antique farm tractor collection. No matter what mood he was in, a smile would come to his face and you were stuck... for 30 minutes or more while he described his newest acquisitions! RIP Bob.

Steve - Bobby Doerr is still with us.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:01 PM

Default Sad Day

Very sad indeed. Another link to the golden age of baseball is gone.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:27 PM
Bill Hedin

Default Bob Feller passed away

According to the Chicago Tribune Bob Feller passed away. The post was on an hour ago. RIP Mr. Feller.

This quote really hit home:
died at 9:15 p.m. on Wednesday night of acute leukemia at a hospice, said Bob DiBiasio.

Last edited by bh3443; 12-15-2010 at 11:34 PM. Reason: new info
Old 12-15-2010, 11:33 PM
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDice View Post
Very sad indeed. Another link to the golden age of baseball is gone.
Well said, RIP Rapid Robert
Old 12-16-2010, 05:19 AM
Rich Klein

Default Couple Trivia Notes

1) That 48 Years for Feller being a HOFer is very impressive

2) There are 3 people who spent more than 1/2 of their lives as a HOFer

Bob Feller; Joe DiMaggio and Sandy Koufax

3) With Feller's passing -- Stan Musial (age 90) is the only living member of the HOF enshrined in the 1960's

Regards
Rich
Old 12-16-2010, 05:53 AM

one of the greatest pitchers and the greatest men the game has ever seen.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:55 AM
Peter Spaeth

He not only missed 4 years for WWII, but he was also basically done early, by age 35. Yet still managed to win 266 games, mostly squeezed into 10 very productive years.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:04 AM
Matt Wieder

Old 12-16-2010, 08:04 AM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

I've met him a few times since 2007 when I 1st got into getting HOF auto's and Bob Feller was the HOFer that I wanted to meet the most. He was my 1st paid IP HOF auto that I got and he was such a class act and a real Great person,
RIP Mr. Feller
Old 12-16-2010, 08:48 AM
Tom Boblitt

On field activities are secondary to his status as a great American. Always generous in person as well. RIP Rapid Robert..........
Old 12-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Old 12-16-2010, 09:04 AM
Sam Lemoine

In 1988 there was a huge card show in Arlington, Texas and I lived there at the time. I had about $10 to work with, so I just avoided the show which really depressed me. My wife, daughter and I went to the mall that Sunday to just kill some time. As we strolled through the mall, I see a big baseball display with two guys sitting there. As we get closer, it is Bob Feller and Lew Burdette. They are sitting there alone, since all of the baseball memorabilia collectors are at the show, not at the mall across the street. So, I run into a Woolworth's and buy a baseball and some index cards and start talking to the guys and getting them to sign stuff. Bob Feller was sitting in a rocking chair and when my young daughter (1 and 1/2 at the time) starting getting fussy, he rocked her to sleep. I wouldn't have traded that moment for autographs from every big star at the show. Rapid Robert spent an hour rocking my kid and telling me all about his life and listening to me tell him about mine. What a class act.

We lost a great one. Rest in peace Mr Feller. You deserve it.

Sam
Old 12-16-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
In 1988 there was a huge card show in Arlington, Texas and I lived there at the time. I had about $10 to work with, so I just avoided the show which really depressed me. My wife, daughter and I went to the mall that Sunday to just kill some time. As we strolled through the mall, I see a big baseball display with two guys sitting there. As we get closer, it is Bob Feller and Lew Burdette. They are sitting there alone, since all of the baseball memorabilia collectors are at the show, not at the mall across the street. So, I run into a Woolworth's and buy a baseball and some index cards and start talking to the guys and getting them to sign stuff. Bob Feller was sitting in a rocking chair and when my young daughter (1 and 1/2 at the time) starting getting fussy, he rocked her to sleep. I wouldn't have traded that moment for autographs from every big star at the show. Rapid Robert spent an hour rocking my kid and telling me all about his life and listening to me tell him about mine. What a class act.

Sam

Fantastic story, thanks for sharing
Old 12-16-2010, 10:08 AM
Ke.n K0hen

Among the greatest of the Greatest Generation. It was truly a privilege to meet him. RIP
Old 12-16-2010, 10:16 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Feller frequently pitched exhibition games against famed Negro Leagues hurler Satchel Paige. The two traveled on barnstorming tours during the off-season, entertaining fans all over the country. Feller was one of the first MLB players to include Negro Leagues players in his tours. He championed the election of Paige to the Hall of Fame.

Speaks volumes.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:24 AM

First Spahn, now Feller. Two of baseball's greatest pitchers and two real ambassadors for MLB through the years. RIP Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !C!FqESwEGk~$(KGrHqN,!hMEzeT9uJbZBNBrbn7Q1!~~_12.jpg (42.9 KB, 191 views)
Old 12-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Barry Sloate

One interesting fact I read in his obituary this morning is that after his junior year of high school, during summer vacation, he pitched for the Cleveland Indians and dominated the teams he faced. When the school semester resumed in the fall, he was already an American hero. I knew he debuted at a young age, but that really put it in perspective. Not a bad way to spend one's summer break.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Archive

I had the privilege to meet and work with Bob Feller on several occasions. Some of the stories he told me about baseball and his life were amazing. I have to credit him with getting me interested in baseball from the pre-war time period. Here is a photo I own of him playing marbles with the marble champion from Ohio. He is only 19 in this photo. It saddens me to hear of his passing.

Last edited by Jantz; 02-11-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:58 PM

Can you imagine being a high school student and facing this guy?
Old 12-16-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post

Sam

Fantastic story, thanks for sharing
Old 12-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Tim Zwick

Great story Sam.

I had the good fortune to have my table right next to Mr. Feller and his wife at the 1986 National Convention in Arlington. He would sign anything for collectors for either $2 or $3 bucks if my memory serves correctly. While there have been many great memories from the fifteen or twenty nationals I set up at, none top being able to sit and talk to an American hero about life and baseball for an entire weekend. The national pastime & country have lost one of it's finest - rest in peace Bob.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:37 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Default Rapid Robert

My Feller story began when I was about 5. My dad would always refer to my lead foot grandfather as 'Rapid Robert' (his name too was Bob). By the time I was 7, I asked my dad where he got that name from - he told me a little about Bob Feller. The player and the man.

I had a instant appreciation for him. Playing the big leagues at 16 or 17, being the first player to sign up for WWII and so on. By the time I was in high school, I wore number 19 (partly for Feller and partly for Bernie Kosar - Go Browns). I couldn't throw 107.9 MPH, but I tried .... I wore 24 in college for Griffey - I wish I had kept 19...

My job took me to Cleveland in the 90s and I loved seeing him throw out the first pitch at Jacob's Field - not to mention the statue outside the 9th Street entrance.

I finally met Bob in 11-06. Stroke of luck. I was working a full flight (I'm a pilot) from Cleveland to NY. With less than 5 minutes until departure time, the gate agent closed out our flight and said we were OK to leave with 2 open seats. In the cockpit, I looked up at saw Mr. Feller through the terminal glass - at our gate! I quickly left my seat, opened the door and asked the agent about another passenger. She said the flight was closed. I said 'Bob Feller is up there and wants on this plane'. I think she knew who he was. We both went up the jetway and allowed Bob to board. I was thrilled. Mr. Feller was very appreciative. I was ready to pee my pants...

Back on the plane, he popped his head in the cockpit and thanked me again. He began to tell me of his tales of flying and owning planes (like I didn't already know). First impression was 'wow'. He was big. Not your typical 88 year old. He had a big chest and looked sharp. I was amazed.

After arriving in NY, I jumped up to help him with his bag and asked if he'd take a picture with me by the plane. He was happy to do it. We talked a few minutes about flying then he handed me business card. He said 'If you ever want tickets (Indians), give a call'..... My jaw dropped. (No, I never called the number). Also on the card was an address. I quickly printed out the picture by the plane and mailed if off to Bob - asking for an autograph.

Photo attached.

A year ago, I finally found a decent '37 OPC PSA 5 RC. Finally! Also read a Feller book. Good read for all. RIP Mr. Feller.

'To a great pilot, my friend' -- WOW

Last edited by jp1216; 12-16-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:05 PM
David McDonald

If they'd have had the internet back in 1925 a thread of Matty's passing might have read a lot like this one. Same goes for 1979 when John Wayne bought the farm. Big Six and the Duke rolled into one, an icon amongst icons, Rest in Peace Bob Feller. A wonderful and glorious era in our nation's heritage draws that much closer to its end.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:44 PM
Larry

I had the chance to meet him in Winter Haven during a spring training game about 15 years ago, when the Indians trained there. His was the first baseball autograph I ever got (not my primary field of interest, although I ultimately actually flew to Atlantic City to get Willie Mays' in the late '90's). Feller was truly a class act, very friendly and willing to chat for a while, as long as there weren't others waiting for his 'graph. Truly an American patriot and an upper-echelon Hall of Famer, in my opinion. He probably would have approached 350 wins had he not given up four years of his career to enlist. Ironically, I got his autograph on impulse, considering his status and my feeling then that he wasn't likely to be around much longer (LOL!).
I have his 1936-1937 R314, which depicts him warming up at Fenway Park. When looking at it, it always brings to mind the thought that he came up to the majors at seventeen, set some magnificant strikeout records, and then went back to finish high school! RIP, Rapid Robert; you'll always be among the best of the best!
Old 12-17-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
I met Feller many times and I'll always remember that the best way to warm Bob up was to ask him about his antique farm tractor collection. No matter what mood he was in, a smile would come to his face and you were stuck... for 30 minutes or more while he described his newest acquisitions! RIP Bob.

Steve - Bobby Doerr is still with us.
My father was not a big sports fan, but being from Cleveland, and retiring from Caterpillar Tractor, when Cat put this card set out in 1993, he bought it for me for Christmas because Bob Feller was in it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (71.0 KB, 151 views)
Old 12-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Rich Klein

Default And as far as I could tell

Only Bobby Doerr and Stan Musial are left amongst HOFers who were in the majors before America entered WW2

Rich
Old 12-17-2010, 01:30 PM

Sad to hear of his passing... he was always friendly and courteous to fans at shows... my dad saw him when he lived in Berea, Ohio and said Rapid Bob had a cannon for an arm!
Old 12-17-2010, 01:56 PM

Default Simply said: He was The Best.

Although I knew him only a little, I will miss him a lot. Others have said it here and on other blogs the past couple of days. Bob Feller was a great American as well as a Hall of Fame pitcher. For my money, he was simply The Best.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:11 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Default Rip

Old 12-18-2010, 03:35 AM

Default A great American and a great Ballplayer

You can't help but collect Bob Feller if you collect the tribe. Some of my favorites...
Old 12-18-2010, 06:08 AM
Mike Ryan

Default RIP Mr. Feller

"that's the way"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FELLER 001.jpg (70.3 KB, 97 views)
Old 12-18-2010, 09:27 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Without a doubt...

the greatest Hall of Famer I ever met...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Feller&Me.jpg (70.9 KB, 121 views)
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Richard Cline

Met him once, like many of you, at a card show.
(Here facing Joe D. during a no-hitter)
Old 12-18-2010, 09:56 PM
qualitycards

Met Mr. Feller 6 or 7 times at various shows over the last 30 years.
The last time was at the A.C. National

Old 12-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Bob Feller

I remember when I was 17 and playing High School baseball, it was Bob Feller's last year with the Indians, 1956.
It always amazed me that at age 17, Bob was pitching in the Major Leagues. I met Bob at the very first BB card
show that I attended (ages ago). He was the friendliest guy you'd ever want to meet, with many stories to tell.

GOD Bless your soul, Bob.

Here are some cards of Bob Feller, not too often seen.

[linked image]

TED Z
Old 12-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Dave

My all time favorite player from my favorite team. The Tribe lost a great ambassador and the world an even better man. RIP "Rapid Robert".