NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-14-2006, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Default Off Topic-Boxing-John L Sullivan Police Gazette Gallery of Champion

Posted By: T E

Measures about 13" by 10", in its original frame which measures about 16" by 19", title at top says "Gallery of Champion" (sic), caption at the bottom lists four fights, 1880 to 1882, "Champion Pugilist of the World," colors are much more vibrant than they appear as I was shooting through the glass. Should I remove backing and pull it out? Backing reads "Levy Brothers Company, Eighth Avenue Between 42 & 43 Streets, New York"

Any info or advice on item much appreciated!

Old 09-14-2006, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

These things have been widely reprinted. You may want to do some serious research to determine whether what you have is original or a later reprint. I'd suggest taking it to a qualified conservator if the item is real before tackling who knows what in the mounting and framing.

Old 09-14-2006, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

Wow! That is awsome looking! Judging by the frame and the mount, it has to be real. Police gazettes are very over looked still in the hobby I think... JC

Old 09-14-2006, 03:56 PM
Administrator

I'd be astounded if this was a reprint. No pixels, and even through the glass when I look with a powerful magnifying glass, it shows all the proper signs of aging.

I wish you could see the true colors, they are lovely. Vibrant.

It looks to me that the backing has been removed at some point. But the litho is real, as far as my experience can tell me.

Old 09-14-2006, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

If it's a reprint, it more than probably will have the standard multi-color dot (pixels) pattern , especially in the image of the boxer.

Unlike an unopened wax pack of cards, this is something you can take apart and put back together if you want.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: martindl

I believe the Gallary of Champion(s) were not contemporary to the images shown. The series ran in the 40's and 50's and showed many atheletes from time gone by.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

the frame is old and real, but that doesnt mean the contents ar. as you can see it was originaly framed with a paper backing which is gone, could be wear and tear or could have been removed and something entirely different put it. I would think the piece needs to be examined to determine if it's period or repro.

ADDENDUM, you can also see old nails(which can be taken out and reused and you can see new shiny nails. another sign that it may have been opened up already.

Scott

Old 09-14-2006, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

I picked one of these up at an antique store a few years ago in an old frame. When I took it apart it was a page from the magazine. It had a bathing beauty on the back of the boxing print. The magazines are from the 1940 and 1950's. I would take it apart and check it out.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 09-15-2006, 03:13 AM
Administrator

I agree with all of the above, will let you know what I find. Another bad sign is the glass, which does not look 19th Century to me. But we shall see...

Old 09-15-2006, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Made to deceive-the glass was contemporary, once I got print out, which was glued onto 20th century cardboard, I could see the fine pixels.

Can't complain, I made out like a bandit at the auction where I picked it up, but I got snookered on this one.

I have done well with prints where backing has been tampered with in the past, frequently the person tampering does not know what they are looking at, not this time.

But I did find a good use for the frame, this sign does date from early 20th Century-

Old 09-15-2006, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Adam,

I'm bowing and saying "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy"

Nice call at the begining of the thread. I'm sorry for TE's sake but I guess like the saying goes - you can't judge a book by it's cover.