NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-13-2006, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Default Fun, and eduational too

Posted By: warshawlaw

I cracked an SGC holder the other day to liberate a 1948 Leaf misprint from its low grade prison. Felt great. I highly recommend cracking out a card every now and then.

I also did a GAI-holdered card. A chunk of plastic jumped off the slab and hit my eyeglasses. Would have nailed me dead on if I'd not had 1/4 inch of plastic between my eye and the slab. Remember those goggles if you crack slabs!

Old 09-13-2006, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

We have a cutter at work - an old crank handle connected to two small round blades that we use to cut up visors, hard hats, etc, for testing. I laughingly tell visitors to the lab that you could probably cut your car in half with it - haven't found much it can't dispatch of quickly.

Well a GAI slab gave it all it could handle. The thing splintered into hard, sharp fragments as I ran the top portion through the blades. I had to keep backing it out and re-cutting the same place to get it to progress.

And ... I definitely put on a pair of safety glasses about a half inch in once I realized it was fragmenting as I went.

PSA is easy, SGC I've never tried, but GAI's are tough little holders. I'd rather have the PSA to crack out - easy enough, but telltale signs so you can't reuse it.

Joann

Old 09-13-2006, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I cracked several recently. Some of the toughest are BVG. Those things are like armored cars they're so thick....

Old 09-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Griffin's

SGC's are the easiest- I've done some with a dime to start it and then pried them apart. PSA's are a bit tougher, followed by GAI's. Becket's are pretty solid, but the toughest are PRO's- makes you think they don't want them broken out

Old 09-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I cracked open a BVG (by far the hardest), a GAI, and a PSA.....

and submitted them raw to SGC -

I am curious to see how the grading differs (or remains the same).

We shall see.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

As I have stated many a time, Beckett is by far the easiest to crack!

Old 09-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

richard - I must not know the right method... because beckett was the most difficult to crack for me.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

I should probably host the pictures on something else since imageshack is down half the time.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/message/1136272829/Cracking+a+BGS+-+BVG+case

Old 09-13-2006, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MikeU

I have found GAI the easiest to crack. I fact, all I have to do is use my hands. Give the slab a twist and you will hear it start to crack immediately.