NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-19-2018, 02:37 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Gehrig W590 strip card on eBay

Post deleted after seller addressed the issue I raised.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-20-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:50 PM
Derek Granger

I noticed that this card (or one like it) has been sold several times in a row on eBay. Red flag for me (ever since card #2), but I hadn't checked to see if these were just returned to him or if he was selling multiples of the same card (aka reprints).

Thanks for giving me some comfort that my spidey-senses aren't totally off.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 06-19-2018, 04:51 PM

This seller has sold a ton of strip cards, many of them W590, and a bunch of these were offered in larger size lots. Many of these lots included numerous duplicates. I won one of his lots, and all the cards are completely authentic.

I have seen many original strip card collections that have included numerous duplicates. This seller got lucky and inherited a boatload that included a bunch of Lou Gehrig cards.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 06-19-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:55 PM
Scott Russell

Easy way to check, is it the same photo in each Gehrig listing?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-19-2018, 07:01 PM
Daniel Cook

I checked the pictures in the listings and they are all different.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:14 PM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar18 View Post
I checked the pictures in the listings and they are all different.
Me too, clearly different cuts on each Gehrig.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:59 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Maybe not same photo but I’d like to see one of his cards authenticated. If I am
Wrong I stand corrected.

Why would someone not have these cards graded and probably leave 50% of more on the table? Inexplicable.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-20-2018 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:38 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Maybe not same photo but I’d like to see one of his cards authenticated. If I am
Wrong I stand corrected.

Why would someone not have these cards graded and probably leave 50% of more on the table? Inexplicable.
A lot of the collections owned by the people on this forum would probably make your head explode if you feel that is really inexplicable.

I sell a ton and honestly just don't have time for the grading thing, the turnaround time is just too dang long to be honest. If I purchase already graded great but have rarely had things graded myself.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 06-20-2018, 12:40 AM

Not everyone with cards is in the hobby or even that aware of the grading game. These cards apparently were passed down to the seller...and they want to sell. This scenario has been around as long as the cards have. Are they leaving money on the table? Of course. But they probably are ecstatic that they are able to get multiple hundreds of dollars for cut down little pieces of cardboard.

One of the strip cards I received from this seller is at the grading company.
When it comes back (knowing the grading company, it might be quite some time) I will let you all know if it was graded authentic or not. Like I said, what I received was all completely authentic.

Brian
Old 06-20-2018, 06:33 AM
Rob

Probably legit, but the guy isn't doing himself any favors with his "can't guarantee they're authentic so please bid accordingly" disclaimer. That's straight from the Scammer 101 handbook.

If he had so many and started to have successful sales, it doesn't make sense to not grade....he's clearly aware of the process as he mentions it...and short of that, at least drop the suspicious caveat.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:17 AM

Hi all, I'm the seller in question. A fellow eBay user tipped me off to the discussion on this forum. I'm a little floored and, frankly, humbled by the interest.

The Gehrig cards are all different. The one posted now is the last of 4 or 5 that I had from that series.

The story of how I came into the cards is legit. My Grandpa spent his entire life across the river from NYC, and as a huge baseball fan in general, and a Yankee fan specifically. The cards were part of a box he handed over to me before he passed in 1998. There were a number of postwar cards in the mix, in addition to what I've listed more currently.

I spent much of my life being a reasonable dedicated card collector, but I've reached an age and a point in my life where other things are just more important to me. Accordingly, I'm making an effort to downsize not only the card collection, but a lot of the rest of my life in general.

I'm well aware of the grading process and how it works. Am I leaving money on the table by not having the cards graded? No doubt. Do I care? Not especially. I work a full-time job and a part-time job, 60 hours per week. There is an upfront time and a cost involved with grading that I'm not inclined to incur. I'm perfectly content to release these one, or two, or a small lot at a time, in the little spare time that I have. It's good progress toward my downsizing, a productive effort, and a little extra money in my pocket.

This may strike some of you as strange, but I don't care if the cards go for $5 each or $5,000. If the buyer gets a great deal and chooses to have the cards graded and subsequently flip them or add them to a collection, more power to you. They're obviously doing you more good than they are me, sitting on my closet.

I still have about 4 transactions for which feedback has not come in, but the feedback I have received has been 100% positive, and buyers have specifically mentioned in the feedback that they've had the cards graded and they've come back legit. I'm happy that they're happy.

Before each listing, I look at my card vs. images of graded cards to look for obvious signs of reprinting, but that's the extent of it. Specifically to the Scammer 101 handbook comment, I include that disclaimer because it's honest. If that's your faithfully held opinion, you're certainly entitled to it, but it seems to me a scammer would go out of their way to hype up what they have as legit, then quickly bail. I'm still here with happy buyers.

But the fact remains that eBay provides three options for describing a card: "authenticated", "reprint", and "unknown". Unknown is the description that best fits, and my disclaimer is an honest extension of that.

I hope this clears up some questions. Again, thank you for the discussion and the interest.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:17 AM
Rob

Not my faithfully held opinion but standard operating procedure for anyone trying to "accidentally" pass of a fake as an original. If you're a member of this forum and a card collector, I can't believe you wouldn't know that.

I wasn't accusing you of that, however...I thought you were legit. Just didn't think you were doing yourself any favors being noncommittal. But doesn't sound like you need the money. Good deal for the collectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Before each listing, I look at my card vs. images of graded cards to look for obvious signs of reprinting, but that's the extent of it. Specifically to the Scammer 101 handbook comment, I include that disclaimer because it's honest. If that's your faithfully held opinion, you're certainly entitled to it, but it seems to me a scammer would go out of their way to hype up what they have as legit, then quickly bail. I'm still here with happy buyers.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:02 AM
Ben North

For the life of me I will never understand all you guys that come on here saying that cards need grading. Even funnier when you mention how much $ is being left on the table. IF this is true why don't you guys buy all the cards have them graded and make yourselves rich? All I ever see is the get them graded BS.

Rant over gentlemen, have a great day!
Old 06-20-2018, 09:17 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I won two of the cards. Ruth & Gehrig Here they are, fully authenticated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1925_w590_ruth_front.jpg (79.4 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg 1925_w590_gehrig_front.jpg (79.1 KB, 258 views)

Last edited by glchen; 06-20-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:23 AM
Derek Granger

Thanks for coming on here and explaining yourself. The cards have all certainly seemed legit and I did notice the minor differences in how these strip cards were cut, but as others mentioned, saying that you are unsure as to their authenticity is something that all scammers use so hat language (at least in our community) a “red flag”. Having 5 or so Gehrig “rookies” of a card that isn’t all that common is also a “red flag”. But I believe your story and I’m glad you found our forum to clear the air.

Best of luck with your remaining auctions!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 06-20-2018, 09:23 AM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Not my faithfully held opinion but standard operating procedure for anyone trying to "accidentally" pass of a fake as an original. If you're a member of this forum and a card collector, I can't believe you wouldn't know that.

I wasn't accusing you of that, however...I thought you were legit. Just didn't think you were doing yourself any favors being noncommittal. But doesn't sound like you need the money. Good deal for the collectors.
He just joined today to post, so not an active member and card collector it seems.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:35 AM

My pleasure, Derek. Thanks for the well wishes.

Gary, thanks for the verification as well as your purchases. I'm pleased that you are pleased.

To all, thanks for the discussion and the opportunity to participate in it.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:38 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Since I started this I will correct my original post. Thanks for addressing this.

There are 10 of these cards authenticated by PSA. It seems you have maybe half that many or more ungraded. I'd urge you to get them graded.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:33 AM
Banned

given your track record on Net54, why wouldn’t anyone not take your advice?
Old 06-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Scott Russell

People talk about not grading and leaving money on the table. I think the seller (minus the disclaimer) is doing a great job. If he had gone to a dealer with these, what would've he gotten? He's willing to take the time and list them slowly and individually. I imagine he's making somewhere between wholesale and absolute top retail, but I certainly don't think he's taking a bath on these.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-23-2018, 02:50 PM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

Well I just won the last Gehrig W590 at $710 today. I will be submitting for authentication but pretty sure it will be good.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:09 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Great pickup! Definitely the cheapest way to get a Gehrig rookie card.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:40 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLongley View Post
Well I just won the last Gehrig W590 at $710 today. I will be submitting for authentication but pretty sure it will be good.
lucky dog...you just beat me!!
Old 07-27-2018, 03:59 PM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

Default Just got it back from PSA...

And as expected it was Authentic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2207.jpg (78.2 KB, 96 views)
Old 07-27-2018, 04:19 PM

I got my strip card from this seller back from the grading company, and it was deemed authentic as well.

Brian