NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Default How Did This Card Get Graded An 8?

Posted By: Addie_Joss

http://www.sportscardlink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsubsection%2Easp%3Fid%3D836 7&id=702942

Don't know much about hyper linking but check it out. Its an auction from Sports Card Link. Look how rough the left border is.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Zinn

I've often noticed that with Mayo the grading companies are somewhat lenient with the condition of the the black borders.

With that said, it is hard to understand how it could be an 8.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

As far as grading goes there shouldn't be a difference between the way the grading company views an N300 (black border) and 1971 Topps (black borders). If that was a 1971 Topps then that card might grade a "6". Inconsistencies in grading really stink. The grading companies need to stick to one standard, not one standard for vintage and another standard for more recent issues.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

think about this...

what if you have a T206 card with similar edges and corners as this Mayo...with the white borders on the T206, it is LESS noticable and would probably grade an "8"...here, you use the same grading standards, but with the black edges, it's more noticable...

do you knock it down a grade just becasue it is more noticable in black?...is it still an "8"?

something to think about.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Addie_Joss

Looks to me as thought the card should be given a 5. That rough border is a major issue and a card with an 8 should be visually flawless with minor superficial defects visible only under magnification.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Incredible card. Michael makes a good point. Maybe it should be 7.
JimB

Old 03-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry Wallace (HW)

No sure if it is a strict NM-MT, but that is the nicest Mayo card that I have ever seen. I do agree that it seems as though both PSA and SGC give Mayo cards the benefit of the doubt.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

I really have no problem with the grade, and I have seen some '71 Topps PSA 8s that had that look on an edge or two. More importantly, that card will be bought or not on the basis of its visual appeal, grade be damned. It's not like there are alot of collectors out there looking to upgrade their Mayo 7s who will just buy the slab.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Sometimes they will allow for a factory rough cut. Is that the case here?

I am not into the nuances of this set. However many sets up and including the

80's OPC have this.

I have many early 50's cards with the rough cut.

Steve

Old 03-21-2008, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Denny Walsh

The "Diamond Cut" Kills this Card! Add the edge issue and I see a "5"....imho
Very Nice Card though....but $21,000.00...ahhh ~ No!

Life's Grand,
Denny Walsh

Old 03-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Administrator

I agree the rough cut is one thing (if it is fact that) the diamond cut should have added the MC
to any numerical grade. They blew it on that one that is for sure.

Steve

Old 03-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Seaborn

The Mayos are by far my favorite set I've ever completed. There are a lot of little things that make collecting it interesting. Many, many of the cards have this same cut with a rough left edge and a very smooth right edge. Therefore, the cut doesn't bother me that much (the grade is another matter). I remember this card being auctioned in late 2005 and what bothered me was what appeared to be the reminants of some glue or other adhesive on the back. Check out the back scan, towards the bottom...you can still make it out. With that said, it's still an amazing card. For those of you who think SGC gives a free pass on Mayos, I've submitted well over 100 over the years and I beg to differ. The black borders are unforgiving and SGC usually hammers you (part of the challenge of the set). I'll see if I can post some examples soon...

Old 03-21-2008, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Seaborn

Tell me again that SGC doesn't undergo very thorough scrutinizing with the Mayos...

Old 03-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry Wallace (HW)

Based on your photos, I think that SGC is very inconsistent with their grades. What do the back of those cards look like?

Look at this SGC graded VG example:

Old 03-22-2008, 09:02 AM
Administrator

All the grading companies miss one now and again. PSA misses the most because they grade the most.

Even with all the crap that happens, the hobby is still better off now then it was in the 80's before grading.

The above card looks to me like a 1.5 so it appears SGC dropped the ball .........on that one at least.

Steve