NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-20-2008, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Default Cards Can Be Dangerous!

Posted By: Richard S. Simon

Somerville,MA - A man was arrested for allegedly assaulting his mother during a dispute about money and baseball and hockey cards, according to police.

Michael K. Mahoney, 24, of 42 Upland Road, was charged with domestic assault and battery after police said he pushed her out of his room Friday night. According to reports, Mahoney’s mother, who was not identified, came home to find him asleep in his third-floor bedroom.

Mahoney’s mother told police her son owed her money, and had agreed to sell a collection of baseball and hockey cards to settle the debt.

Police said when his mother entered the bedroom to confront her son about the cards, which police said were missing, Mahoney allegedly became enraged and a struggle ensued between them. The woman told police she believed Mahoney might have bitten her in the breast area during the struggle, however police reported no evidence to support that claim.
------
Police in Montoursville, Pennsylvania are on the lookout for a man who attacked a local sports card shop owner and stole about 50 vintage cards after chasing him down inside his house.

The incident happened late Wednesday morning when a man walked into Robert Aderhold's home-based sports memorabilia business, posing as a customer and started chatting with the owner about some of his vintage baseball cards.

Ronald Aderhold, owner of the shop, said he thought the man in his early 20s was interested in buying some of the more valuable cards.

"And then all of sudden, he stands up and goes, 'Okay, this is a robbery'," Aderhold told the local ABC-TV affiliate, WNEP.

But that's when it got interesting---and terrifying for a guy just trying to earn a few bucks. After realizing it was no joke, Aderhold said he tried to escape.

"I ran out of the shop, into the house and he ran after me and tackled me and hit me over the head with the crowbar," Aderhold nold the station. "I'm lucky I'm not dead. He could have hit me a number of times. He only hit me once."

He said the robber told him to lay on the ground while he sifted through the cards and then fled.

Montoursville police told Sports Collectors Daily that Aderhold suffered a cut on his head. He ran for help but by the time the call was made and officers dispatched, the attacker was gone. Police say he may have left some fingerprints at the scene and they have had calls with tips on possible suspects after releasing a description of the man.

Among the stolen cards were a 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle valued at approximately $8,000, as well as an essentially complete run of Mantle regular issue Topps cards from 1953 to 1969, a 1968 Topps Nolan Ryan rookie card, 1954 Topps Hank Aaron rookie, 1951 Bowman Duke Snider, 1956 Topps Roberto Clemente and Ted Williams, 1957 Topps Willie Mays, 1958 Topps Aaron, 1962 Topps Clemente, 1966 Topps Mays, four Cal Ripken Junior rookie cards (regular issue and rookie/traded) and a 1984 Fleer Update Roger Clemens. Several less valuable cards were also stolen. The total value of the cards reported to police was $50,000.

"I hope they find him. I mean this guy needs to be brought to justice. For somebody to do something like this," Aderhold said.

---

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 03-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I've got family in Somerville - glad to see it was no relation.

Photobucket

Old 03-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Nieves

The guy in the 2nd article has been the subject of discussion many times on various card forums throughout the years. He's well known for shorting sellers on shipping, begging for free cards for his (most likely imaginary) grandchildren, and filing paypal chargebacks.

montourcardshop8zyp

Old 03-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: shane leonard

I don't believe this story. No one with half a brain would pull out all this inventory at one time, especially to someone new. Sounds like the card shop owner was hard up for money and staged a fake robbery for insurance purposes.

Shane

Old 03-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

"Mahoney's mother, who was not identified..."

Can I just take a stab and venture that her name might be Mrs Mahoney? Nice confidentiality! Shame on you, Somerville News !!!!!!!

Old 03-21-2008, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Dawson

"Mahoney's mother, who was not identified..."

"Can I just take a stab and venture that her name might be Mrs Mahoney? Nice confidentiality! Shame on you, Somerville News !!!!!!!"

Not only that, but they give her address! (The article says "she came home..."). Let's see...she came home...found him asleep in his bedroom...he owes her money... It all sounds like he lives with his mommy, and owes her for rent, laundry, etc....

So all-in-all, a pretty poor job of "not" identifying her!

Steve

Old 03-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

"Mommy, tie my shoes!"

Confounded laces!