NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-01-2005, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Default PSA Conducting a SPEEDY Authentication Contest at Natl

Posted By: Richard Simon

PSA ANNOUNCEMENT -

World Series of Autograph Authentication contest at the 26th annual National Sports Collectors Convention:

Each contestant will have 10 minutes to examine 30 autographs on a computer screen and determine their authenticity by casting a "genuine" or "not genuine" vote. Following the initial group of 30 questions, there will be a lightning round consisting of 10 questions. Each contestant will have 2 minutes to complete the 10 questions after the first round of 30 questions is completed. The results of the lightning round will be used as a tie-breaker in case we have tie scores after round one.

--
I guess they feel that due to the way their own staff works that examining 30 autographs in 10 minutes should be done by everyone, and in the tie breaker, 10 autographs in 2 minutes. Guess that is how rubber stamps. autopens, etc get past them.
No wonder I have so many stories about them on my website.

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 07-01-2005, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

grading/authenticating cards and autographs is one.

Old 07-01-2005, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

uhmmm...what's the other one? CAn you elaborate on it for us please?

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 07-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

Early at-bats, right? You gotta get that pitch count up. If you don't get it up it'll much much harder to score later on.

Old 07-01-2005, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

There's a HUGE difference between authenticating cards and grading cards.

A bad grade may cause a $500 card to decrease to maybe $350. And of course the card still has value, just less.

A bad autograph goes from $500 to zero. A forgery has no value. You have either something, or nothing.

The comparison would most likely be if PSA started getting tricked and found reproductions to be authentic.

I'm telling you, in early August, PSA/DNA will announce that the winner of this contest has been added to their staff. You heard it here first!

I think Rich should do the competition! I can see it now!
Mr. Simon, this is Mr. Grad, Mr. Simon, this is Mr. Rullo....nirvana!

DJ

Old 07-01-2005, 02:01 PM
Administrator

I won't and can't authenticate 30 autographs in 10 minutes, so I won't be entering this joke of a competition.
I know Grad and Rullo usually work at that speed, that is why they get the results that they do.
Authenticating autographs takes time, PSA has not learned that yet. They did not know it from day one, when the authentication staff was Spence, Simon, Stinson and Gordon, and they were more concerned with us working quickly instead of accurately.

--

Unknown author
--
The Boss

Old 07-01-2005, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

There was an 1800s medical doctor who world famous for performing the fastest amputations ever recorded. However, if you had met one of his assistants, you would have noticed that he didn't have ten fingers.

Old 07-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I'm a 60-minute man

Old 07-01-2005, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

* Someone from PSA stands on the top of a five foot ladder and dumbs a large basket filled with signed cuts and index cards. The person who can authenticate the most autographs before they all hit the ground wins.

* Contestants stand in the batting cage and a pitching machine fires signed balls. Authenticate the balls before they cross home plate.

* Autographed balls, cards, photos, etc are shot from a cannon. Atop a hill a mile away, the contestants watch with binoculars.

Old 07-01-2005, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

David,

You have some fine ideas and I hope the 'heads' have a yellow pad and are writing some of these ideas down.

I like the idea of an acrylic box full of swirling cuts and you have to grab them while the flutter in the air (there are large fans giving the cuts unpredictable patterns of flight), authenticate them (THIS IS A SECRETERIAL ELMER VALO!!! bells go off!) and then grab another. Oh, and if you are a guy, you have to wear goggles and a pink dress.

My mom did this with dollar bills when I was at a kid for some supermarket promotion. Upon showing her the McGwire rookie scan, she said 'Are you serious? That's a rubber stamp!!!'.

DJ

Old 07-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Mixups with American Memorabilia COA, cursory reviews, authenticating autopens, authenticating son's signatures as fathers, authenticating rubber stamps,,,,The hits just keep on comin'.
AND NOW they give us a contest.
How Machiavellian can you get?

--------

Unknown author
--
The Boss