NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Banned

Default Do-over. heritage relists no sale psa, jsa 1939 controversial signedinduction program

Heritage auction has relisted a 1939 signed HOF induction program that failed to sell last year. It is a program filled with pencil signatures of HOF members that some feel are no good. What do you think. Are these good signatures in your opinion or not.

I will start it off. I think not. I will post examples of each signature that correspondes to the other 1939 program that haulsofshame reported on that also passed jsa and psa, and see if there is any common ground between autographs. Hauls of shame has updated their blog to include the heritage relisting.

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/

Here is the first one, the Babe Ruth signature from the program that sold at heritage for 41,000 dollars, and the Babe Ruth currently up for auction at Heritage. both has PSA and JSA authentication.

What do you think. Same Ruth signature signed at 1939 HOF induction weekend? The signature in pencil is the relist at Heritage right now. The ink one is part of the program that sold for 41000 dollars, with the Larry Lajoie with three r's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruth1.jpg (18.1 KB, 508 views)
File Type: jpg ruth2.jpg (22.8 KB, 510 views)
Old 01-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Banned

Even though psa and jsa both call these Ruth signatures good, signed over the same induction weekend, I don't like the way they compare to each other at all.

The middle and the bottom of the capital B is all different, and on one he goes right into the a in babe with a connecting stroke from the capital B, the other does not.

One small a in Babe has little loops on each side, one is clean.

The word Babe leans father to the right significantly on one than on the other. notice the small b in Babe really leans more than the other one.

We have capital R's in Ruth that don't match, and the general overall verdict is not by the same hand in my opinion, and that is not even comparing both of these to established Ruth exemplars.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:59 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

True, there are minor inconsistencies, but the similarities far outweigh them, IMO. Perhaps the pencil sig is just a more "hurried" example? That's how it appears to me. Plus, the pencil would "grab" the paper differntly than the ink (for lack of a better term). Eager to hear what others think.

Last edited by perezfan; 01-19-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:19 AM

For me, and I am far from a Ruth expert, I don't like either of them. I like the first less than the second. Again, I'm not an expert at all and have been trying to study Ruth's signature for a little while but am still a self admitted novice who does not know all the things to look for.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Banned

Here are the two Ty Cobb signatures in question.

Not even the same type of signature, one is the mushroom top Ty, and the other is the 2 variation of Ty. Now either Ty Cobb was switching them up over that weekend or something isn't right. The 2 variation is more rare, and it would seem unlikely he switched back and forth, but let's look at the autographs.

On the ink signature, the tail on the y in Ty comes down to the right, not cobbs usual style of signing the letter y. The bb's in Cobb are quite different between the two signature, and the pencil signature really looks bad, it's quite a childish rendition and the letter C is frightening to me. I say these are no good in my opinion, especiallly compared to a genuine Cobb that is shown on the Haulsofshame.com website.

What do you think of these Cobb's? Are any of these Cobb's good? Why such a startling difference in the way he signed between two programs that were suppose to be signed over the same induction weekend, and come with psa and jsa approval?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cobb1.jpg (23.8 KB, 473 views)
File Type: jpg cobb2.jpg (30.2 KB, 472 views)

Last edited by travrosty; 01-19-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Banned

Correctin - I called it induction "weekend" but the festivities officially started on a monday.

Last edited by travrosty; 01-19-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:46 AM

Now, I'm certainly not taking sides here, as I've stated before, I have no expertise in signatures whatsoever.

But... how many times do you suppose Babe, Cobb, and the rest of the inductees scribbled their name on every item shoved in their faces for the few days that was the Grand Opening Festivals at Cooperstown?

The Post Office alone sold thousands upon thousands of First Day post cards, stamps, etc. This image is what they constantly endured during their whole visit in the completely packed little town.

BTW... This terrific little book is a great read, and tells the story of that historic event...

A Great Day in Cooperstown: The Improbable Birth of Baseball's Hall of Fame by Jim Reisler

cooperstownparade.jpg

Last edited by thekingofclout; 01-19-2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: typo