NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Max Weder

Default Base Ball in Cincinnati 1907 and 1908 multiple editions

Most auctions and sellers refer to the first or second edition of Ellard's book Base Ball in Cincinnati. However, in looking at the available images, I've found the following:

1907 editions

Numbered and limited to 500

Numbered and limited to 500. I believe this is the same edition, and there is just more wear on this copy to the gilt, but I'm not 100% sure. The scan of this book is fairly representative. (This is my copy)

1907. Yet here's another 1907 edition. A copy was sold in Mastro in 2005, and the sale indicated that there was a plain dust jacket, with a sporting goods store's logo stamped on the front and rear flaps.

1908 editions

1908. This is a 1908 edition, with no limitation as to numbering (from 2008 REA auction; I have a copy of this edition)

This appears to be another trade edition. I've lost the auction reference, but the jpg file number is "1103".

If anyone has more information on these editions, I'd love to know.

Thanks, Max
Old 10-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Barry Sloate

Hi Max- I may have lost you. I believe you are saying that there are three editions: a 1907 numbered, a 1907 unnumbered, and a 1908. I assumed more than 500 copies were issued in 1907, and I have seen all three of those bindings. But I don't think I answered your question.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Max Weder

Barry

As far as I can tell, the green 1907 edition was also numbered out of 500.

The mastro link doesn't mention it being numbered http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...px?lotid=53928

but the Classics Collectible auction does, as does at least one other auction reference

http://www.auctionscc.com/archive/20...all-books/180/

And the last edition puzzle me--the edition with the white boards and the red lettering. When was that published?

I've never seen any reference that there were more than 500 printed in 1907, but it's confusing to me.

Max
Old 10-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Barry Sloate

Max- the white cover with red lettering is how I've seen all the 1907 numbered copies. The black cover with red lettering is how I've seen most of the 1908's. There is a variant green binding but I don't know any particulars about it.

And as far as an auction house not mentioning that they are offering a numbered edition, couldn't it just have been an oversight?

Just wanted to add that it's common with vintage books to find them with variant bindings. I've seen it many times. Only the publisher could explain why a given book, for example, could appear with either a red, green, or blue cover. I've seen a Peverelly first edition with both a blue and brown cover. And I have no idea why.

Last edited by barrysloate; 10-10-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:54 PM
Max Weder

Barry

All the 1907 editions I've listed are numbered editions. My copy (white with gold lettering) I obtained from a very reputable dealer and it is a numbered edition. The auction listings for the green edition consistently list it as a numbered copy.

As for Peverelly, there is also a printing with green boards.

Max
Old 10-11-2010, 06:22 AM
Barry Sloate

I've seen the Peverelly with green boards, but that may be an 1867 second edition. Even though the 1866 first edition is scarce, the 1867 one is quite a bit tougher. And it has an extra chapter added that reviews the 1866 season.

Many other books have variant bindings. There are two versions of the Chadwick book, two of the Spalding book, and as I recall the early novels come with different color board covers. And among the most obvious is Athletic Sports in America, which was issued with two different covers simultaneously. The fancy morocco cover was offered at $3.50 a copy, while the plainer one could be purchased for $2.50. It was not uncomon to offer both a deluxe and common edition at the same time.

I have a copy of Robin Carver's 1834 Book of Sports that has from what I have seen a unique binding. The cover is embossed, the title is printed in gold lettering, and the pages are gilt edged. I have to think that this was a deluxe edition.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:25 AM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I've seen the Peverelly with green boards, but that may be an 1867 second edition. Even though the 1866 first edition is scarce, the 1867 one is quite a bit tougher. And it has an extra chapter added that reviews the 1866 season.

Many other books have variant bindings. There are two versions of the Chadwick book, two of the Spalding book, and as I recall the early novels come with different color board covers. And among the most obvious is Athletic Sports in America, which was issued with two different covers simultaneously. The fancy morocco cover was offered at $3.50 a copy, while the plainer one could be purchased for $2.50. It was not uncomon to offer both a deluxe and common edition at the same time.

I have a copy of Robin Carver's 1834 Book of Sports that has from what I have seen a unique binding. The cover is embossed, the title is printed in gold lettering, and the pages are gilt edged. I have to think that this was a deluxe edition.
I'll have to check my Peverelly. I think I traded off brown boards, and kept green, but didn't even look at the editions.

Spalding has at least three variations: the common blue, the common beige paperboard, and red boards.

I believe Palmer also had three variations. I've posted the salesmen's sample , and I'll have to dig out a photo that shows the third variation

Max
Old 10-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Barry Sloate

The salesman's sample of Palmer is an abridged book if I remember correctly...anyone else want to join Max and me in this conversation?
Old 10-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Mike Dugan

Barry would either you or Max give us your estimates as to values for these editions? I consider myself a pretty healthy baseball bibliophile but these rank near the top of everyone's want lists. Thanks
Old 10-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Barry Sloate

First editions are generally more valuable but the second edition does have some added information. I would say a nice looking copy of each book should be worth in the $800-1000 range, with the 1st likely to sell for more than the 2nd (but their values are pretty close).
Old 10-12-2010, 04:16 AM
Max Weder

Here's a copy of the salesman's sample. It folds out to provide examples of each binding

Max