NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Default buyer's premium

Posted By: Robert {Bigb13}

A buyer's premium on ebay? Now I think I have seen it all. Rob http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/090113-MICKEY-MANTLE-POST-CEREAL-COLORED-PRINT-AD_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ28221QQihZ006QQitemZ 160154699326QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Old 09-13-2007, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Default buyer's premium

Posted By: Steve Murrray

Why would anyone participate in these auctions. Arrange own shipping?? Outrageous BP. PP descriptions. Pickup and they charge sales tax. Gimmie a break.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Default buyer's premium

Posted By: joe

This a major auction house based in Detroit Michigan. Most likely there is a catalog and live auction for these items, besides ebay. Not saying this is right, but I have seen other auction houses do the same thing.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 09-13-2007, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Default buyer's premium

Posted By: Mark T

This Cobb Sporting Life periodical print for sale....is it me or is this piece look fake.

http://tinyurl.com/ywm2ra

Old 09-13-2007, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Default buyer's premium

Posted By: leon

That Cobby isn't even a good looking fake. Very poor looking fake, at best. BTW, I have never seen a seller with over 1000 feedback, though I am sure there are some, with this low of a feedback rating.....horrible.....My guess is they are dealing with so many complaints they don't have time to do anything right....

rating 1538
Positive Feedback: 96.9%

Members who left a positive: 1585
Members who left a negative: 50

All positive Feedback: 3594

Old 09-13-2007, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Default buyer's premium

Posted By: barrysloate

I know DuMouchelles well...in 1991, they had the greatest rare baseball book collection this hobby has ever seen, and they didn't have a clue what anything was. They had books worth $5000 that had estimates of $50. But everyone found out about it and the auction has become part of hobby folklore. Nobody has a clue why that fabulous collection was consigned to them; they didn't even know how to write up the lots, other than to pretty much just list the title. It was amazing.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Default buyer's premium

Posted By: Craig

The w600 is a fake. I called yesterday to request scans of the front and back and they refused. They also refused any kind of return policy. All items are sold as is I was told. I was put on hold while an employee agreed to descibe the Cobb over the phone. It is printed on one piece of fake aged cardboard. There is no mount seperate from the photo.
How can an auction house be allowed to sell forgeries, claim ignorance and not allow returns? Sounds like some one should contact the attorney general's office in Michigan

Old 09-13-2007, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Default buyer's premium

Posted By: barrysloate

Here is a story about DuMouchelle's, and it is so preposterous that even after you hear it you will have a hard time believing it.

When they had their famous book auction in 1991, they also had a T206 Wagner with the collection that they displayed prominently on the cover of the catalog. As fake Wagners go, this one was a really bad fake. It looked as bad as a fake could be possibly look. It sold for $1400.

After the auction I believe Corey Shanus called them and told them the card was no good and that they had no right to sell it for anything. Their response has to go in the pantheon of great hobby quotes:

"We know the card isn't real, and so does the winning bidder, but he doesn't care."

Old 09-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Default buyer's premium

Posted By: Matt

Barry - ROFL

Old 09-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Default buyer's premium

Posted By: Anonymous

I won a lot from a u-pick-u-ship auctioneer once and it was a real travail trying to get the cards to me. It was costly, they were damaged by an untrained shipper, it took a long time. In short, not a fun experience in that regard.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Default buyer's premium

Posted By: TONY

I just sent them a nice email telling where they can place their buyers premium

Is it just me but are auction houses becoming the biggest ripoffs in collectibles?

ridiculous buyers premiums

no return privileges

sold as is

on & on

makes me ill

then other dealers see what they are getting away with & they join in the insanity

Old 09-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Default buyer's premium

Posted By: boxingcardman

I have no idea where it will all end up. Frankly, ebay looks better and better.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Default buyer's premium

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

A minor infraction in their panoply of questionable practices I suppose - they've listed in the PSA-graded subcateory.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Default buyer's premium

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I bid on the ebay Live auctions often and the only time I've ever had a problem is with an auction "house" that makes you arrange for your own shipping. I won a lot of photographs, baseball hand fan and a nineteenth century baseball book...it took more than a week to get an invoice from the auction house and when I called I could only get their answering machine...they would not return my call. Finally after two weeks I got an invoice and a phone number to arrange shipping...I first had to pay the auctioneer and I was supposed to pay the shipping to the guy who shipped it. So I called the shipper and he said he was holding up a mirror and could I call him back in 15 minutes....I called him back and he said he was in his car on his way to Florida and that he would stop off at the next stop and call me for my info and when he got back he would ship my items off to me and then I could just pay him when I get it. So about a month later my package arrived packed in a box not meant for shipping with a bill for $30. It cost him about $7 to ship UPS and he obviously paid nothing for the newspaper and box he shipped the stuff in. That's not the worst part though because there were no photos and the book was only just the front and back cover with the "book" gone. I tried in vain to contact the auction house, but they would never return my calls so I gave a negative feedback. About a week or so later the "Shipper" called me and asked where his $30 was and I told him about my problems and that if he wanted his money he would contact the auction house and have them contact me to work out the problems. He never did and I never paid him. One day while googling this auction house I noticed that their local antique newspaper did a glowing article on the auctioneer so I contacted the newspaper with my story and shortly after that I got an email from the auctioneer apologizing and they sent me a refund.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Default buyer's premium

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

The auction houses get away with murder for one reason: they can. Obvious shilling, false authentication, bad conflicts of interest, PSA cert numbers changed, doctored catalogue pictures -- the list could go on and on. At some point a major house will get closed down by the government and its principles arrested; this will surely chill the auction business for, say, an hour or two. After all, you've got one auction house run by a guy who can lie to your face and steal millions -- you think a little shill bidding would bother him? Or a criminal investigaiton?