NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Isaac Lane

Default Who gets the buyer's premium?

I am rookie to the auction sales; it is a new beast to me. I am new to it and want some clarification....Who gets the buyer's premium on the auction? For example, last year the REA buyer's premium was 17.5%, is that what the auction house takes away for selling a card?
I am new to the auction house game. I, like most of you, have worked very hard for my money and like to know who is getting what when I send out a cashier check.
What is the usual percent a auction house gets on a sale??
Guess I have alot of questions!
Thanks for answering them

Isaac
Old 12-07-2010, 12:46 AM
Jim D

I believe the auction house gets it, but if you have a card they really want to list, the seller can sometimes negotiate to get a portion of that as well!

feel free to correct me if i am wrong.

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 12-07-2010, 01:44 AM

The auction house gets it. The "usual" model (if there is such a thing) is that the auction house takes from both ends. The consignor also usually pays a consignment fee. (I think this is more what FUBAR was talking about - some auction houses will waive or reduce the consignment fees on desireable items to get them inserted in their auction.)

On the buyer's premium end, some auction houses will offer a lower-percentage BP to a buyer on a high-dollar item.

For baseball card auction houses I think the BP goes from about 12.5% up to about 19.5% (most are at the higher end of that range), but I don't bid with all of them, so others may know better than I do.

Cheers,
Blair
Old 12-07-2010, 04:21 AM

I agree with above. Buyer's premimum goes to Auction house. Consigner pays an amt also for Auction house to present card for auction.
Leon(with B&L) would be able to add to this.

A strong auction house would do well. Example if they make 1 million in sales, they could be getting up to 150,000 to 200,000 from buyers premium and another 100 to 150,000 from consignment fees. Of course minus expenses for advertising, mailing, catalog production, etc.

Frank
Old 12-07-2010, 08:10 AM

Default For the record

We at B & L charge no sellers premium and only a 12 1/2% buyers premium. We do this to put as much money in the sellers pocket as possible. Obiviously by charging no sellers fee it puts more more in the consignors pocket, but also by keeping the buyers premium low, it allows the bidders to go one or two more increments and still be within their budget.

So in other words the seller is receiving 87 1/2% of the total sales price, much better than you will do on ebay after paying final value fees and paypal fees to them. AND, we have done all the work!

Scott and Leon
Old 12-07-2010, 11:37 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

The Catalogue Auctions have to charge higher fees (on both ends), largely due to the costs of producing the Catalogues. The related costs are quite expensive and time consuming for their employees. Production, printing, photography, layout, man-hours, and postage costs for mailing the Catalogues out to thousands of prospective clients, etc.

That's where a significant portion of the money goes...
Old 12-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default not quite

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
The Catalogue Auctions have to charge higher fees (on both ends), largely due to the costs of producing the Catalogues. The related costs are quite expensive and time consuming for their employees. Production, printing, photography, layout, man-hours, and postage costs for mailing the Catalogues out to thousands of prospective clients, etc.

That's where a significant portion of the money goes...
yes and no....catalogs cost about $10,000 for 1000 or so....as a balllpark rule...add another 5k for shipping and you have 15k......make it 25k to be as safe as possible. So on a million dollar sale, with no sellers fee and a 19% buyer fee, there is $190,000 gross profit. The math is pretty easy. Don't get me wrong.....auctions aren't as easy as some would think and there are tons of issues and work to be done. Catalogs are mainly so the consignors can see their stuff in print. And of course it's true I love my catalogs too, as a buyer....but they aren't that necessary, really. Just my opinion and others will disagree and have their right to disagree. It's ok....

btw, as the price of the catalog goes up, with the amount of items and pages, so do the revenues....

Last edited by Leon; 12-07-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:46 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Scott and Leon are the best. Leon will even come to your house and wash and wax your car for a nice consignment.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Scott and Leon are the best. Leon will even come to your house and wash and wax your car for a nice consignment.
Hey Jay,
I will absolutely wash and wax cars for consignments. I have done more for less, and under worse conditions, so that would be a piece of cake.

I am already looking forward to getting together with you, Richard and Scott again at the next National. Those are 4-5 of my favorite days of the year.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:09 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Me too, buddy
Old 12-07-2010, 01:21 PM

The buyer pays 12.5% more, but the seller gets $100 of every $112.5 (100/112.5). So the seller actually gets 88.889% of the final sale - even better than 87.5%.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:25 PM

I was trying to keep it simple....

I knew someone would perform the exact calculation though.

Scott
Old 12-07-2010, 04:24 PM

Thanks Scott and Leon
Old 12-07-2010, 09:14 PM

to answer the original poster's question -- the buyer's premium is a surcharge that the auction house imposes on the buyer, on top of the closing price. So if the BP is 15%, and the closing price (ie the hammer) on the card that you won is $100, then the auction house will charge you $115. Be mindful of this when placing your bids -- some auction websites post the total price pretty clearly (and thus make it easy for you to know your true final cost) while others only post the bidding price (and thus leave it on you to figure out the BP, which makes the auction seem more attractive to you since the posted price seems lower).
Old 12-07-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenv View Post
The buyer pays 12.5% more, but the seller gets $100 of every $112.5 (100/112.5). So the seller actually gets 88.889% of the final sale - even better than 87.5%.
you sure about that? does the seller's commission come off the hammer price, or the total price (ie including the BP) as you suggest. I had thought the hammer price...
Old 12-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Val Kehl

Blair - I think that FUBAR meant exactly what he said, and I also believe this happens on occasion. In other words, If I have a $20K card to consign to an auction house, not only am I not expecting/willing to pay a seller's commission, but I am also looking for a slice of the 17.5% (or 19.5% or whatever it is) buyer's commission!!
Val

Last edited by ValKehl; 12-07-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunsteig View Post
you sure about that? does the seller's commission come off the hammer price, or the total price (ie including the BP) as you suggest. I had thought the hammer price...
In this case, the point is moot. They were discussing B&L auctions, which has zero seller's commission.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Blair - I think that FUBAR meant exactly what he said, and I also believe this happens on occasion. In other words, If I have a $20K card to consign to an auction house, not only am I not expecting/willing to pay a seller's commission, but I am also looking for a slice of the 17.5% (or 19.5% or whatever it is) buyer's commission!!
Val

Hi Val,

Thanks for your comment. I had not heard of a case of that happening, but I imagine on some high-end items the seller might try to cut a deal like that. I'd say if I had a T206 Wagner to consign, I'd try to haggle the auction houses into the best deal I could get (including a piece of the BP).

But at the level I play at, I wouldn't even try to swing such a deal .

Cheers,
Blair
Old 12-08-2010, 12:50 AM
Jim D

Yes, i meant exactly what i said..... as Val outlined better then i did!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 12-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Isaac Lane

Thanks alot to everyone for clearing it up for me.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Gr.eg Per.ry

Anyone know what sort of deals sellers of big dollar cards are able to get from the major auction houses? I'm just curious if you had a T206 Wag or other big dollar card, what sort of deal could you negotiate? None of this is public info, so I guess we'd be talking about rumors, but it would be interesting if anyone knew...

It seems like the website traffic from a really famous card alone would be worth it to some auction houses.