NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-24-2005, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Default Duplicates

Posted By: identify7

When I was not quite a teen I traded my baseball card doubles for cards which I did not have from the set. I think that many of us did the same.

Recently I corresponded with someone who may view his duplicates similarly to the way I currently view mine. Focusing on the Old Judge issues, as an example, two identical poses of the same player manufactured in the same year can look differently due to wear, tinting, original photo quality, accident, and other characteristics of the card.

If the two cards appear different, there is reason (in my mind) to keep them both. Then when you come across a potential triplicate, which appears different from the other two, do you buy it?

In the Old Judge set, one could compile many examples of the same card with this collecting approach. I believe the same is true for t206, batter up, w517, and maybe many sets.

Does anyone collect multiple examples of the same card? I do.

Old 06-24-2005, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Default Duplicates

Posted By: Bob

I collect the color variations in the E94 set, as do a few others.

Old 06-24-2005, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Default Duplicates

Posted By: J levine

I do collect T-205 Mattys...for some reason I ended up with four different ones a few years ago and kept them. I now have 16 ranging from poor condition to ex condition. All raw BTW. Just a pretty card.

Joshua

Old 06-24-2005, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Default Duplicates

Posted By: Julie

I got an extra one.

More to the point, I have an autographed rookie Koufax, very dark (underexposed), and then I have a real nice one with no signature. Want both of those.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Default Duplicates

Posted By: leon

I have many duplicates of fronts....because the backs are different. I think I have 3 E94 Cicottes right now....but 2 of them have a nasty stamp on the back.....As what is said everyday on the board.....if you like 'em collect 'em.....regards

Old 06-26-2005, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Default Duplicates

Posted By: Darren J. Duet

When I like a card, I like a card. For example I own 5 Cobb red portraits with 3 different backs. I also own 3 1914 CJ Magee's, just because I like it. The great thing about these cards is that they all have there own story and no two are exactly alike.

Old 06-26-2005, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Default Duplicates

Posted By: T206Collector

I don't even collect different backs in the T206 set yet. At some point, I'll probably want an example of each kind of back I can get my hands on, but for the moment, it's all about the fronts ...and I'm not interested in different shades of Tinker/Cobb red/orange.

I buy doubles on ebay all the time, in lots or if I can find them for little cost. When they arrive in the post box, I bring them to my card collecting desk, line them up against the duplicate I already have, and make a decision to terminate one of them on ebay. I hold on to a bunch of them before I do this, but then I sort of have a mass execution. In about two weeks, I'll be having one of my biggest sell offs of doubles on ebay -- I'll make a note of it in the B/S/T thread when I do. With shrewd purchases and a little luck, I can make a nominal profit doing this, which makes tackling the remaining few T206 cards I need a bit less painful. In short, I buy doubles so that I can sell them and earn enough money to complete the cards I don't have yet. And even if and when I do complete the set, I plan on keeping this up in order to upgrade condition.

Old 06-27-2005, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Default Duplicates

Posted By: identify7

tbob: e94s have to be more difficult than the batter ups and w517s which I collect color variations on. I find that obtaining the first four variations comes way easier than anything beyond that. What have your experiences been?

G. Maines