NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-29-2014, 11:03 AM
Richard Simon

Default An interesting NY Times article about baseball autographs

This article was on page one of today's NY Times.
Thought you guys would enjoy reading it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/29/sp...lyst.html?_r=0
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 03-29-2014, 11:21 AM
Andy H

Great article Mr. Simon. I understand players have a lot to sign but it really does seem like the art of handwriting is gone, perhaps due to the spread of computers and other electronic forms of typing.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:25 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Thanks for posting this article. It goes to say that handwriting in general has gone from an art form to illegible for the most part. I look at my signature, as a dentist , and realize it has gone downhill faster than a downhill skier. It is interesting to look at Mantle, Williams, and DiMaggio no matter how many autos they signed or where they signed they were impeccable. Rivera's autograph is beautiful , but look how Mattingly's has deteriorated or how Ripken's changed. I guess it is a sign of the times, and not like the good old days for so many things.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:32 PM

It's laziness, and not-giving-a damn. It's amazing that someone (Robertson) can consider writing one's name legibly an "art."
Old 03-29-2014, 03:27 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I wonder if they are that lazy and illegible when signing those 100-200 million dollar contracts?
Old 03-29-2014, 08:53 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

I had heard that about Killebrew, telling young players to slow down for the fans, and because of that the first player I sought out when I started collecting autographed balls last year was Harmon Killebrew. Nice article. Thanks for posting.
Drew
Old 03-29-2014, 09:42 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Killebrew's influence can be seen in Michael Cuddyer's autograph
Old 03-30-2014, 08:00 AM
Alex

Great article. I agree with pretty much everything he said.

As a lawyer I always take my time to write out a legible signature when I sign letters and court filings. It shows that I give a damn. I can't read most of friends signatures - one of them signs his name with two loops. It seems like poor form and a lack of pride to me.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:25 AM

Last year before a spring training workout, I was talking with Mets manager Terry Collins when some kids came up and asked him to add his autograph to a ball on which they had already acquired a few other "signatures." He looked at the ball and asked the kids, "Who are these guys, are they on my team? I can't read a single autograph on here."

Collins told me that he tells his players to take time and sign autographs that are legible. "I don't understand why anyone would want to sign - or get - an autograph that you can't read," he said. I told him a quote that someone had told me (and I'm ashamed to say I can't remember who - maybe Killebrew, it sounds like him) - "I've never understood why anyone would work their whole life to reach the Major Leagues, to be famous and for people to know who they are - and then sign an autograph that no one can read." That pretty much sums it up.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:31 AM
Belltown Vintage

It's amazing how many excuses they have for poor penmanship - doesn't pride in their name trump some of that?

Ted Williams signed hundreds of items at a time, and I'm sure it wore him out, but mutilation of his own name never seemed to be an option. And Ted was about the $ as much as anyone.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:52 AM
Chris Wood

Default Chicken scratches

I haven't obtained an in person auto in a couple of years but was watching the Jays play the Yanks at a Spring training game last week while on vacation in Florida and obtained these without any effort. Only one is partially legible and is from a former Jay turned broadcaster. The other two are very popular current Jays players - can anyone pick any of them out?

Last edited by baseball tourist; 03-31-2014 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-31-2014, 11:13 AM
Belltown Vintage

Buck Martinez is fairly obvious.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:28 AM
Rich Klein

And some people, like myself, just have bad handwriting. Despite the best efforts of my teachers I never got much more than a D- in elementary school in penmanship.

Rich
Old 03-31-2014, 11:29 AM
Belltown Vintage

You could probably do a pretty good analysis of team-signed balls over the years, and determine when the decline started - it was probably one or two super-stars who inadvertently gave the green light.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:28 PM
Mike Kaminski

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball tourist View Post
I haven't obtained an in person auto in a couple of years but was watching the Jays play the Yanks at a Spring training game last week while on vacation in Florida and obtained these without any effort. Only one is partially legible and is from a former Jay turned broadcaster. The other two are very popular current Jays players - can anyone pick any of them out?

Edwin?
Old 03-31-2014, 12:33 PM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

I think a lot of them have this attitude....Hey, I touched your item, you should feel honored.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:34 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
Great article. I agree with pretty much everything he said.

As a lawyer I always take my time to write out a legible signature when I sign letters and court filings. It shows that I give a damn. I can't read most of friends signatures - one of them signs his name with two loops. It seems like poor form and a lack of pride to me.
For almost 30 years I have reviewed (hundreds of) thousands of legal documents and I am amazed at the lack of pride that most attorneys have in their signature. Yet, like a Harvard graduate, they will not hesitate to point out to you that they are attorneys. You have two things in life that matter, your name and your signature, why not make yourself proud of both of them. Being a lefty is no excuse either. I am a left handed male and always get compliments from females that my handwriting, including signature is so legible.

As one of the other posters mentioned, Ted Williams, along with Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Bob Feller and others signed thousands of very legible signatures for hours straight. Even some of the less than accommodating stars like Bo Jackson and Jerk..er I mean George Brett provided at least a somewhat legible scribble.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 03-31-2014, 02:16 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Buck Martinez is fairly obvious.
You got it.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:17 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKam View Post
Edwin?
You got it. The last is tough (due to the fact that it is totally ind
iscernible).

Last edited by baseball tourist; 08-29-2014 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-31-2014, 02:42 PM
M@tt Schw@de

One of my favorite all-time autographs is a 1993 autograph I have of Derek Jeter. It's actually very easy to read and beautiful and it's really cool to compare against his current signature to see how it evolved.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:37 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Jerk..er I mean George Brett provided at least a somewhat legible scribble.
Is Brett a jerk? What was your experience with him?
Old 03-31-2014, 04:21 PM

Default JimStinson

They did not call him "Jungle Jim" Rivera for nothing , this quote was supposedly what Rivera of the White Sox told JFK when he asked for an autograph and got Kennedy's typical scribble...

"What kind of garbage college is that Harvard, where they don't even teach you to write. What kind of garbage writing is this? What is this garbage autograph (JFK signed the first pitch ball)? Do you think I can go into any tavern on Chicago's south side and really say the President of the United States signed this baseball for me. I'd be run off. Take this thing back and give me something besides your garbage autograph." - Jim Rivera (Kennedy took the ball back and carefully wrote his name on it before giving it back) Rivera replied, "You know, you're all right."

Vintage Baseball Autographs For Sale on my Web site
stinsonsports.com
Old 03-31-2014, 07:58 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Is Brett a jerk? What was your experience with him?
While he was a player he was a bit gruff and we all knew that so usually left him alone at the hotel. Around 1994 or 1995 I was at the SGMA sporting goods convention with a friend. Called the 'Supershow' it was known for all of the big name athletes that would appear in the booths to sign autographs (Nike, Champion, Spalding etc. etc.). It was for all of the sporting goods stores, distributors and such to see all of the new products. My friend owned a sneaker store and asked me if I wanted to come down with him and get autographs while he conducted business. He also told me that anyone could show up so bring a variety of items. I brought a bunch of Sports Illustrated covers that I had, just the covers not magazines. I was walking down the hall and saw George Brett, Ken Brett and another person walking by. I had one of his covers so I pulled it out and asked if he could sign it. I always say 'Exchuse me, Mr. or Miss...', never first name and ask if they would mind. He took it said 'He will probably cry if I don't sign it" thought for a minute and then signed it. I appreciated that he signed it, but the comment was unnecessary.

I have met several ex-presidents, hundreds of musicians, thousands of athletes and countless authors and others of note. I even had Reggie Jackson sign for me without asking him for an autograph. If you wish to sign that is great. If not, I respect that also. Just don't make an a-hole comment. Totally uncalled for.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 04-02-2014, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
I had heard that about Killebrew, telling young players to slow down for the fans, and because of that the first player I sought out when I started collecting autographed balls last year was Harmon Killebrew. Nice article. Thanks for posting.
Drew
A beautiful sig indeed:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1958 Topps Harmon Killebrew.jpg (77.2 KB, 133 views)
Old 04-02-2014, 06:49 AM
Mike Dugan

I heard a few weeks ago I heard that schools no longer teach cursive writing? I remember the patience of my teachers back in 1960 or so trying to work with a lefty like me!

Over the years I have tended to use a hybrid script some cursive and some printed. Last week I sat down at lunch and started writing sentences in cursive. At age 60 I was disgusted with my efforts, I have been working on it every day since then. My wife and daughter have beautiful penmanship and are terrific writers. Maybe my practice will improve my script over the next few weeks. Now I wish I could type better!
Old 04-02-2014, 06:53 AM
Alex

Mike - My younger siblings are in high school and they both know cursive. My handwriting is also poor. I think a lot of has to do with mainly using computers.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:37 PM
Mike Dugan

Alex- You are probably right, I am proud that my college senior daughter takes so much pride in her penmanship!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:50 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Oh for the days of the Reinhart Method. Yes, I am dating myself. It is such a pleasure to look at beautiful and legible signatures. I like to call them 'Catholic School' signatures a la Babe Ruth. I thought I would share a few signatures that show you that age does not prevent people having a good signature.

1. Gertrude Ederle - one of my favorite signatures. Best known as the first female to successfully swim the English Channel, she is also an Olympic gold medalist. Signed in her late 60's early 70's.

2. Walter Walsh - The oldest living Olympian ever. As of this posting he is 106 years 333 days old. Lets give him a big happy 107th on May 4th. A reknowned FBI agent he was involved in tracking many of the early gansters including Baby Face Nelson. When the FBI celebrated its 100th annivesary, he was 101. This was signed when he was well over 100 years old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ederle,-Gertrude-(1970's).jpg (44.5 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Walsh, Walter.JPG (42.5 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by Michael B; 04-02-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:13 PM
J@son.K

Great bit of knowledge dropping, Michael B. I never knew about Walsh. I just googled him and found out he was an Olympic shooting instructor at the age of 92..without the aid of eyeglasses!
Old 04-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default MB

great share - thanks!
Old 04-03-2014, 09:05 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
Great bit of knowledge dropping, Michael B. I never knew about Walsh. I just googled him and found out he was an Olympic shooting instructor at the age of 92..without the aid of eyeglasses!
And also '1880nonsports'

I am glad I could share. I don't collect baseball or basketball anymore, but I do remember some very interesting signatures I got in person in the 1980's and early 1990's - Don Hood and Mike Fischlin, David Justice in the minor leagues come to mind. I also got lots of Hall of Famers in person - Killibrew, F & B. Robinson, E Murray, Lefty Gomez, Ted W, Joe D., Spahn, Musial, Rice, Yaz, Fisk, Joe Cronin, Mantle, Aaron, Reggie, J Morgan, Bench, Fingers etc. and almost all for free. I enjoy seeing the pickups on this site. Always fun to see those signatures. Since my collecting/selling is now Olympics and I have a large database of signature scans (3500 scans another 3000 or so to scan) I like to share with everyone here. I find that while you may love the collecting in one area, a true collector really appreciates other collections.

Jason - I am not sure if you noticed, but Walsh also enlisted in the Marines in WWII and rose to the rank of Lt-Col. After the war he commanded the Marine Sharpshooters unit. He must have been one tough SOB. He lives a stones throw from me in Arlington, VA. Would love to meet him, but don't see it happening.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:23 PM
Mike Navarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball tourist View Post

That's one of the giant oversize gloves isn't it? I've got one of the Rangers team a couple seasons ago.

Mike
Old 04-03-2014, 11:48 PM
J@son.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
And also '1880nonsports'

Jason - I am not sure if you noticed, but Walsh also enlisted in the Marines in WWII and rose to the rank of Lt-Col. After the war he commanded the Marine Sharpshooters unit. He must have been one tough SOB. He lives a stones throw from me in Arlington, VA. Would love to meet him, but don't see it happening.
Yeah, I did read his whole wiki-bio. He definitely was bad-ass. He also fought in the Pacific during WWII...Okinawa...which was one hellhole of a fight.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:24 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro View Post
That's one of the giant oversize gloves isn't it? I've got one of the Rangers team a couple seasons ago.

Mike
Correct Mike. I have had it for 5 years but never thought to have it autographed until this year at Spring training. The third "sig" is Kawasaki btw.

Last edited by baseball tourist; 08-29-2014 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Grammar