NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-21-2022, 02:08 PM
Daniel R.

Default Ebay user cbcardss3

Does anyone have any experience with this seller or know if he is a member on Net54? I recently purchased a Jeff Sweeney t206 card from him. It was graded 4(MC), but the photo was very clear and it was evident the card and holder were in great shape.

It was listed for $100 BIN, but the MC qualifier made me hold off, so I resorted to watching it to see if there was any subsequent price reduction. Fast forward a weeks, and I received an offer in my inbox for $80. I quickly accepted and was excited that I had gotten a cheap price for a sharp looking card (albeit with a qualifier).

A week goes by, and the seller notifies me today that the order was cancelled because, "Would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused but we cancelled the purchase of the T206 Jeff Sweeney card as we found it was damaged and would was not as described in the listing. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience caused."

Am I out of line to find this hard to believe? A little skeptical because I felt like I got a good deal. Any input on how to handle ebay cancellations would be appreciated.
Old 03-21-2022, 03:39 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

It would seem that someone else offered him more money for the card and he took it, leaving you in the cold. Might not be the case, as I don't know the seller, but when this scenario unfolds, it is usually (95% of the time) for that reason.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-21-2022, 03:54 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
It would seem that someone else offered him more money for the card and he took it, leaving you in the cold. Might not be the case, as I don't know the seller, but when this scenario unfolds, it is usually (95% of the time) for that reason.
Agree. Leave appropriate feedback and move on
Old 03-21-2022, 03:58 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by drazz5 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with this seller or know if he is a member on Net54? I recently purchased a Jeff Sweeney t206 card from him. It was graded 4(MC), but the photo was very clear and it was evident the card and holder were in great shape.

It was listed for $100 BIN, but the MC qualifier made me hold off, so I resorted to watching it to see if there was any subsequent price reduction. Fast forward a weeks, and I received an offer in my inbox for $80. I quickly accepted and was excited that I had gotten a cheap price for a sharp looking card (albeit with a qualifier).

A week goes by, and the seller notifies me today that the order was cancelled because, "Would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused but we cancelled the purchase of the T206 Jeff Sweeney card as we found it was damaged and would was not as described in the listing. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience caused."

Am I out of line to find this hard to believe? A little skeptical because I felt like I got a good deal. Any input on how to handle ebay cancellations would be appreciated.
Call his bluff. You could tell him that you might still be interested and can he send a photo of the damage?
Old 03-21-2022, 10:18 PM
Daniel R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Agree. Leave appropriate feedback and move on
Agree with both sentiments. The unfortunate thing is, unless I am missing something, I don’t believe I am able to leave feedback on an order that has already been cancelled/refunded.
Old 03-21-2022, 10:20 PM
Daniel R.

The plot thickens. I asked what damage occurred, to which he replied, “I did something stupid. I was going to put a small box with it in my car and set down on my driveway. Forgot about and later backed over it.”

This seems so egregiously not believable that I feel I have to call his bluff and offer to see/still buy the card. Stay tuned.
Old 03-22-2022, 01:42 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
The plot thickens. I asked what damage occurred, to which he replied, “I did something stupid. I was going to put a small box with it in my car and set down on my driveway. Forgot about and later backed over it.”

This seems so egregiously not believable that I feel I have to call his bluff and offer to see/still buy the card. Stay tuned.
Or his dog ate it.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:04 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Agree with both sentiments. The unfortunate thing is, unless I am missing something, I don’t believe I am able to leave feedback on an order that has already been cancelled/refunded.
You can, if the order isn't in your purchase history, go to your feedback page and click on "leave feedback" the transaction should be there.
Old 03-22-2022, 11:48 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Or his dog ate it.
wow. that is funny and could not even come back with a better excuse

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 03-22-2022, 03:06 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:

The bigger the lie, the more people will believe it.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2022, 03:37 PM
Daniel R.

Default Update

I decided to call his bluff. I asked to see pictures of the damage and said that depending on how bad it was I might still be interested. His response was this:

"Unfortunately it was destroyed. I through it away. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience."

I mean, I find it pretty insulting that he thinks I would believe this. Not sure what else can be done considering I havent even found a way to leave negative feedback. So irritating. Anyways, hope you all at least got a kick out of this if nothing else. Attaching a photo of the conversation for full effect.

ebay correspondence.JPG
Old 03-22-2022, 05:03 PM
Tim Odeen

I think I've read on a Facebook group, or Twitterverse, that ebay got hacked and a bunch of "sellers" are listing fake sales that don't exist. It's just as likely that a troll is trying to raise hell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 03-22-2022, 07:30 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I think I've read on a Facebook group, or Twitterverse, that ebay got hacked and a bunch of "sellers" are listing fake sales that don't exist. It's just as likely that a troll is trying to raise hell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Most of those appear to start at $1. In many of their listings one of the images will say something like 'this item is for sale for $... and include an email. The scammers email is info@ebsalx.com if anyone would like to spambomb them.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 03-23-2022, 05:56 AM
Michael

Quote:
I decided to call his bluff. I asked to see pictures of the damage and said that depending on how bad it was I might still be interested. His response was this:

"Unfortunately it was destroyed. I through it away. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience."

I mean, I find it pretty insulting that he thinks I would believe this. Not sure what else can be done considering I havent even found a way to leave negative feedback. So irritating. Anyways, hope you all at least got a kick out of this if nothing else. Attaching a photo of the conversation for full effect.
This has happened to me twice in the last 5 or 6 months with Mantle items. The first one "got coffee spilled on it while packing". I asked for pictures of the stained photo and heard nothing back. The second was "sold on another venue and no longer available". I asked for a link to the sell and heard nothing back. If the seller cancels the sell and refunds your money, the item is closed and you cannot leave feedback. I contacted eBay and notified them about what happened and said I suspected the items were sold off eBay to another buyer to avoid eBay fees. I was thanked, told they would look into it, and also told that the results of their investigation would be private. I checked the sellers out later and they were still on eBay with no apparent negative blowback. I suspect they were given a slap on the wrist at best. It is extremely disappointing that I could not leave the sellers a negative feedback.
Old 03-23-2022, 07:55 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post

...The first one "got coffee spilled on it while packing"...The second was "sold on another venue and no longer available"...
I don't care for sellers who don't honor their sales agreements. Having said this, I'd much rather they tell me the truth, as the seller likely did in your second example.

The seller with the "coffee" excuse is absolutely pitiful. Either they're flat-out lying to a customer or they're destroying Mantle items with coffee. I'm not sure which is worse.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 03-23-2022, 08:07 AM
Robert Williams

As far as excuses go, it is rare, but I have misplaced cards only to never have them turn up again.
Old 03-23-2022, 08:31 AM
Ben North

I will give a different view point. It is a eBay transaction for a baseball card that didn't happen. It's eBay anybody can cancel any transaction as a buyer or seller for ANY reason and the other party can't do a damn thing about it.

Why waste time and energy on something that simply doesn't matter. Same goes for leaving negative feedback. Maybe .01% of eBay buyers care about feedback. Weirdly those that really care about it are usually the ones you want to avoid. Not much worse than somebody messaging multiple times because you have not left them useless feedback.
Old 03-23-2022, 09:50 AM

I can't figure out why the hell everyone worries about a buyer does this or that or a seller does this or that. Sometimes you just gotta say WTF and not worry about it.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:50 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post

...Maybe .01% of eBay buyers care about feedback...
Guess I'm a dinosaur, then. When I see dozens (or hundreds) of negatives, I'll scroll through what others have written.

Let's say, for example, the seller has accumulated dozens of negative reviews regarding careless packaging. I'd probably pass on buying something fragile. Why tie up my money and then go through the time and hassle of documenting/returning something? Easier for me to sidestep that odyssey.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 03-23-2022, 01:04 PM
Daniel R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
I can't figure out why the hell everyone worries about a buyer does this or that or a seller does this or that. Sometimes you just gotta say WTF and not worry about it.
I would say I am worried about it because I wanted the card and purchased the card and then did not receive it. That seems to be like a fair reason to be bothered, particularly when the reason seems hard to believe.

I wouldn't call a seller deciding to not sell you an item you already purchased a "this or that" issue.
Old 03-23-2022, 05:28 PM
Daniel R.

Default Found a way to leave feedback...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
You can, if the order isn't in your purchase history, go to your feedback page and click on "leave feedback" the transaction should be there.
For those of you still interested, Jim's advice on leaving feedback for canceled orders worked. I think I may be a bit slow, since I was a bit confused on what he meant by the feedback page, but if you click on your feedback number (shown below), the transaction will be listed and you will be given an option to "leave feedback".

Ebay feedback.JPG

Thanks for the tip Jim! We can finally let this thread die.