NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-19-2019, 10:05 AM
octavio ranzola

Default mike trout $430 million,over 12 years

oh well,,,thoughts ,,,
Old 03-19-2019, 10:11 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Good signing, IMO. It's not the back end you worry about, it's what you might miss on the front end that would be devastating. He's the player of the generation.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:11 AM
Mike

He's great, but his skills haven't achieved much post season results yet ! Neither has Harper and Machado. Can't win with one great player. I'd pay up for a few good pitchers. Pitching is still I think 90%. Look at the Angels pitching staff. Compare to Boston and Houston etc.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:12 AM
Dave_Berg

Pujols....Angels
Old 03-19-2019, 10:23 AM
pete ullman

WOW!!! Good for him! Better deal than Machado/Harper imo...just need a supporting cast now!!!
Old 03-19-2019, 10:25 AM
octavio ranzola

agree with pete ,,,
Old 03-19-2019, 10:29 AM
Mike

If Trout is like all the others before him , his SB's will go down a lot in the next few years (look at Canseco, Sosa, Soriano etc). In his 30's, his baserunning will no longer be an asset, in fact he has not had over 30 SB since 2013 (not over 30 for the last 5 years) !!! . 7 years and he has hit the 100 RBI mark 2 times (100,111) !!! I'm I missing something here, I know he is great, but that much above the others ???

I know he is a great player but I thought his stats were much better than this. Watching MLB Network I thought he was the greatest of all-time ( lifetime average is . 307 , you would think it was .350+ ).

Also I watch a lot of baseball games and I think most CF's are very good and fast. Not sure how some get rated higher than others, they all make great plays.

I know firstbasemen are rated lower, but they are in on most plays in the game ! Ground balls, double plays, fielding bunts, pickoff attempts from catcher and pitcher, throwing the ball to the pitcher , when the pitcher is covering first, scooping the balls in the dirt and saving runs etc.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:33 AM
Dave

Well, it looks like the Angels just wanted to do away with any chatter that he might be headed somewhere else and paid what it took to make that happen.

Regardless of winning or losing, their fan base would have had a hard time forgiving them in losing a generational talent like him.

This is essentially a legacy contract to keep him in the fold for the rest of his life. There's almost no way he plays up to the contract from a numbers standpoint for the life of the contract, but he's the type of player, he's worth more to the Angels then just the numbers.

He's an athletic freak, but he's not exactly an iron man. I envision a similar sort of career track with him that we saw with Ken Griffey Jr.. I think it's only a matter of two or three years before injuries start taking a real toll on his body and his performance.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:52 AM

Good for Trout. It's a joy to watch him play.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:06 AM
Al Jurgela

Default As a life long Angels fan

I am very happy. He is a GREAT player and it would have been devastating to lose him. Now we can build around him. After 2002 I really doubted if I would ever see the Angels back in the World Series. Now, for the first time, I have hope. The farm system is better than it was a couple of years ago. Pujols' contract (which I hated) will come off the books in 2021, I think. This is about as excited as I have been since the Angels signed Vlad.

and.... he is a nice kid. He has signed for my son 4 times and given him a practice ball. Happy for him, the Angels and myself as a fan.

Rarely do these long term deals work out. Here I am betting that it will.

Thanks to Arte Moreno for making the right call after the Josh Hamilton and Pujols disasters.
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 03-19-2019, 11:11 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

i wonder in the past 15 years...how many of the top contracts have been worth it..

we know about ARod and pujols.....m. cabera,, the jury may be out on that one....mike stanton?

Its not really about the money to many of the owners....life is short....if you are very rich you dont care about wasting some money ...its all about the opportunity and fear of missing out....basically what i am saying is these big contracts really may not be great in the business sense but if life is short and you have all the money in the world and love baseball and want a chance to win it all....why not buy the toy instead of your friend buying it

How much was paid recently to keep the Alliance Football League from going under? You think that was a good business decision.......in sports people are willing to do that...childhood love of sports....

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 03-19-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:15 AM
Val Kehl

I'm glad to see that Harper's biggest-contract-ever status didn't last very long!
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:21 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
i wonder in the past 15 years...how many of the top contracts have been worth it..

we know about ARod and pujols.....m. cabera,, the jury may be out on that one....mike stanton?

Its not really about the money to many of the owners....life is short....if you are very rich you dont care about wasting some money ...its all about the opportunity and fear of missing out....basically what i am saying is these big contracts really may not be great in the business sense but if life is short and you have all the money in the world and love baseball and want a chance to win it all....why not buy the toy instead of your friend buying it

How much was paid recently to keep the Alliance Football League from going under? You think that was a good business decision.......in sports people are willing to do that...childhood love of sports....
id say NONE...based on player performance!
Old 03-19-2019, 11:22 AM
Mikeknapp

Good for the Angels and their fans. He is that much better than Machado and Harper.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 03-19-2019, 11:27 AM

FWIW, the major league batting average in the decade of the teens is down about 10 points from the prior decade 2000-2009. Tougher in Trout's era to post high BA
Old 03-19-2019, 11:39 AM

Smart move for the Angels. Even with Ohtani, the team would be lost without Trout and struggle for any relevance at all. There are quite a few guys in the Angels system (Jo Adell especially) who can put this team in a position to win a few seasons from now. Seeing Adell and Trout in the same outfield will be a thing of beauty when the time comes.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:44 AM
Peter Spaeth

The contrast between his signing and Harper's absurd melodrama could not be more profound.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:51 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Smart move for the Angels. Even with Ohtani, the team would be lost without Trout and struggle for any relevance at all. There are quite a few guys in the Angels system (Jo Adell especially) who can put this team in a position to win a few seasons from now. Seeing Adell and Trout in the same outfield will be a thing of beauty when the time comes.
Looks like Adell is out 10-12 weeks with an ankle injury, unfortunately. The youngster showed a lot of power last year.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-19-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:06 PM

Adell's injury is a real bummer for the Angels. He should recover though. Griffin Canning is a solid pitching prospect and if Kevin Maitan ever lives up to his hype, he'll be a dynamic player to add to their youth movement.

They've got some other guys in the low low minors like Maitan who could turn out to be lottery tickets. Best case scenario is a stacked team 3 or so years from now.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:17 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Great deal for Trout, one of the best players in baseball when he is healthy. I think the deal will prove to be an albatross for the Angels.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:22 PM

Good for Trout. Bad for the Angels. Now the Angels have a top loaded salary structure, not much pitching and a recession on the way. By the time the recession is over and Pujols contract is off of the books, Trout will be starting the downside of his career.

If he is a diva by then (like Ken Griffey Jr) he WONT want to move from Center Field to Right Field and thus hurt the team defensively while also not being as good on the base paths.

David
Old 03-19-2019, 12:27 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Good for him, best player in the game and just quietly goes about his business.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:30 PM

I don't know, it's not that bad. Upton and Pujols are killer contracts but everyone else getting paid (Cozart, Simmons) is a free agent after next season. Have no idea why they gave Harvey 11 million though. They might as well let me pitch for free every 5th day.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:46 PM

Perhaps too narrowminded, but now Trout is inked in, the Angels first priority, by far and away, hands down, is to get quality pitching. They were ranked 19th last year. That is not good enough to get them to the post-season.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:48 PM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Sounds like another A-rod deal. In 5 years he won't be worth crap. You think these teams would learn.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:51 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Good for him, best player in the game and just quietly goes about his business.
Yep.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:22 PM

Trout very well could be this generation's Ernie Banks. Great player but little to no post season appearances.

David
Old 03-19-2019, 02:28 PM
K.J. Kin0$hit@

Default Mike Trout

As a baseball fan and an Angels fan, I'm excited that Mike Trout will finish out his career here in Southern California. I plan to take my son to a lot of Angels game going forward. Very exciting news for me!
Old 03-19-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank A View Post
Sounds like another A-rod deal. In 5 years he won't be worth crap. You think these teams would learn.
Which A-rod deal are you talking about? His 2001 deal seems like a pretty good one even with hindsight being what it is. He signed for 10 years and then opted out after 2007. In that time he:

Won 3 MVPs
Won 5 silver sluggers
Made 7 All Star teams

Last edited by packs; 03-19-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:15 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

For that kind of money, i would expect soemone to save the world from nuclear destruction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 3.24.29 PM.jpg (17.4 KB, 309 views)

Last edited by rdwyer; 03-19-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:53 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

It's good that the Angels play in the L.A. area, because the only people who will be able to afford to go to a game (let alone buy their kid a frickin' hot dog) after the ticket prices skyrocket are all the Hollywood idiots who have been in the news lately.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwyer View Post
For that kind of money, i would expect soemone to save the world from nuclear destruction.
And if that isn't enough for him he can always endorse a few products.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:12 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Imagine all the HE cards he can buy.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:13 PM
Bruce Mattioli

I wonder what Mookie Betts and Aaron Judge are going to get.. $40 Million per year? I can see that..
Old 03-19-2019, 05:26 PM

Imagine what Roger Maris would get if he were coming off his 61 HR season.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:32 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
Imagine what Roger Maris would get if he were coming off his 61 HR season.
Or what the Babe and Tyrus and the Iron Horse would get if each was in his prime today!
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:56 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Or what the Babe and Tyrus and the Iron Horse would get if each was in his prime today!
Imagine what Trout would make back then...

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 03-19-2019, 06:00 PM

I remember Paul O'Neill sharing an anecdote once that he never looked at his contract. He'd play for whatever the Yankees offered him. I bet Lou would have been the same way.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I remember Paul O'Neill sharing an anecdote once that he never looked at his contract. He'd play for whatever the Yankees offered him. I bet Lou would have been the same way.
I think it was Earl Weaver who said of Piniella, when he dies the first thing he'll do in heaven is hit a curve ball to right for a base hit. Serious competitor. The fly ball he pretended not to lose in the sun, so as to hold Burleson (I think) on second during the Bucky Dent game, was genius. Or were you talking about Gehrig lol.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-19-2019 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:32 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
I wonder what Mookie Betts and Aaron Judge are going to get.. $40 Million per year? I can see that..
Is this a suggestion that Betts and Judge are better than Trout?
Old 03-19-2019, 06:49 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethius88 View Post
Is this a suggestion that Betts and Judge are better than Trout?
I would take either on my team, one is already a WS champ and the other is on the door step knocking.. It's all about WS titles..
Old 03-19-2019, 06:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I would take either on my team, one is already a WS champ and the other is on the door step knocking.. It's all about WS titles..
WS titles are about teams, not individual talent. Do you think Trout would not win in Boston or NY?

Old 03-19-2019, 07:05 PM

Default We are happy with Betts!

Red Sox fans are very happy with Mookie Betts.

No doubt Mike Trout is a fine ballplayer, but most Red Sox fans would not trade Mookie Betts for any other MLB player. Period. End of story.

Patrick
Old 03-19-2019, 08:04 PM
Chris Counts

I'm just happy Trout resigned with the Angels. Now I don't have to listen to the East Coast media obsess for two years about how he is going to sign with the Phillies or the Yankees.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:37 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Glad to see Trout signed before becoming a FA, glad that he signed with the Angels, and glad that his contract smashed Harper's and Machado's numbers.

Enjoy watching him play the game.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 03-20-2019, 12:35 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
If Trout is like all the others before him , his SB's will go down a lot in the next few years (look at Canseco, Sosa, Soriano etc). In his 30's, his baserunning will no longer be an asset, in fact he has not had over 30 SB since 2013 (not over 30 for the last 5 years) !!! . 7 years and he has hit the 100 RBI mark 2 times (100,111) !!! I'm I missing something here, I know he is great, but that much above the others ???

I know he is a great player but I thought his stats were much better than this. Watching MLB Network I thought he was the greatest of all-time ( lifetime average is . 307 , you would think it was .350+ ).

Also I watch a lot of baseball games and I think most CF's are very good and fast. Not sure how some get rated higher than others, they all make great plays.

I know firstbasemen are rated lower, but they are in on most plays in the game ! Ground balls, double plays, fielding bunts, pickoff attempts from catcher and pitcher, throwing the ball to the pitcher , when the pitcher is covering first, scooping the balls in the dirt and saving runs etc.
Where to start...

Trout bats 2nd. 100 RBI ain't gonna happen very often. That 111 year? Led the league.

First basemen? By far the easiest position on the field. Any comparison to CF is a joke.

Is Trout that much better than everyone else? Yes. He hits for average, his for power, takes walks, is an elite runner, and great defender. 7 full seasons in the majors - 2 MVPs and 4 runner-up finishes. The 7th season? He was the runaway frontrunner before getting injured. In those 7 full seasons, he's never gone more than two games without getting on base. TWO.

Last edited by Tabe; 03-20-2019 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:56 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Rafael Santana has more World Series rings than Ted Williams, Tony Gwynn, Ernie Banks, Ken Griffey Jr and Rod Carew combined.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:41 AM
R Dixon

Default $$$

The Angels TV contract is $3 billion over 20 years. If I were them I wouldn't think twice about $430M for Trout.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:06 AM
Al Jurgela

Default Yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdixon1208 View Post
The Angels TV contract is $3 billion over 20 years. If I were them I wouldn't think twice about $430M for Trout.
This is why the math works....
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 03-20-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher View Post
Red Sox fans are very happy with Mookie Betts.

No doubt Mike Trout is a fine ballplayer, but most Red Sox fans would not trade Mookie Betts for any other MLB player. Period. End of story.

Patrick

The Pirates probably would have said the same thing about McCutchen in 2013. Five years later he was traded for Kyle Crick and bonus money.