NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-19-2006, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Default I got the Grading Blues...

Posted By: Russ Bright

Down tooo my shooooes....

So, Here's my story (and I'm sticking to it) i recently send in (Via a nice board member) 7 mid grade 60's Topps Baseball cards to PSA to get graded. All of them looked very nice raw, there were a couple problems with centering, but corners were sharp, no creases, etc.

AFter the grading, the card that was OC the most (1957 Willie Mays #10) Garnered a 6. There were 2 5's that I knew were 5's (1962 Mantle reg issue and Allstar). 1 card (1966 Mantle) that got a 5 that I was on the fence about, looked nicer but had centering problems. One came back ungradeable (miscut, but card measures and looks fine) And 2 PSA 4's. The 4's looked the best of all of the cards i sent in and graded the lowest. I have PSA 4 that looks like it's been in someone's bike spokes - These 2 cards looked pristine compared to that.

I have high grade scans if there's anyone out there who would like to look at these and offer some advise on what to do? I heard rumors about the "grader of death" and it seems that I got him on a couple of my cards. I am considering resubmitting for a regrade.

If you know something about PSA grading and 60's topps cards please email me at ambrosia2@hotmail.com
I can send you scans and maybe we can figure out what I should do.

And before this happens... I sent the Mantles to PSA to get graded for resale value. I'm going to grade my T205's with SGC. Please don't turn this into a grading flamewar. Both companies have their benefits, I would just like some insight/help into why cards that look much better grade much worse than comparable cards. And wheether or not it would be worth my time to submit for a regrade.

thanks for your time!

Russ

Old 11-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

you could post nice big scans of the 4's here on this board so we could all have a gander....? I'm thinking if you get 10 thousand watts of light, hang yourself in a gyroscopic harness, and tilt the card degree by degree all 360 of them, you will probably find yourself a wrinkle on the front or back.........

regards
Daniel

Old 11-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Administrator

i was thinking it might be easier to e-mail these. i'll post scans when i remember my photobucket password. or find other free hosting.

thx!

r

Old 11-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Russ: it sounds like you know how to grade, and Daniel's suggestion is likely applicable. It may be time to go on a wrinkle hunt, because those may never show on a scan.

Old 11-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Administrator

I could not find any wrinkles anywhere. I sent the cards to (hope you don't mind me revealing you!) Keith O'leary and he was kind enough to look at them and he agreed that there were no visible wrinkles. It doesn't make any sense. I spent more on these cards than i probably shold have, and was hoping tah the wo9uld grade higher than 4's. I could sell all of them for a loss, and would rather not do that. I may hold onto them for a while. but Still thinking about regrades. here's scans of what I got back (fronts only, sorry)

leon, if these are to big, or not accepted, please edit so we're cool!

I have larger scans for the 5's and 6 if anyone wants to see them

Old 11-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

Nice grades. Lucky you didn't get stung with the OC or MC qualifier ehh?

Old 11-19-2006, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

The 68 PSA4 Mantle looks like a 4 to me, due to the corners & centering. The 67 PSA4 Mantle looks like it has light creases or wrinkles at the top 2 corners, unless I'm seeing things. They both look like accurate grades to me.

Old 11-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

The centering on the 68' probably hurt you most and may have dropped the card a full grade from a five (with a likely OC qualifier), and the 67' looks to me like there is some "see throughness" on the top right corner, as though the stock is a little thinner and perhaps missing a layer..? Bottom left corner also looks to have wear that contributed to the grade.
Nice cards though!

regards
Daniel

Old 11-19-2006, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Hard to say for sure, but I do think there is a crease or bend in the top right corner of the 67 mantle. Im not crazy about the appearance of the 68. I do think they are the worst looking (take that with a grain of salt, as they still look pretty darn nice) of the group you posted.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

You may have caught some slack on some of the other cards in this grouping; but you sure didn't on these two. If they are 4s, they sure are high end examples. I think that the '67 has a shot at an upgrade, unless the corner is buggered. That the centering on the other drops it into the vg/ex range is probably because the corners although quite strong for vg/ex, are not good Ex corners.

Id wait for a grading sale and try them again - what is the chance that they will come back as 3s? Real slim.