NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 06:30 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
Are you sure about that or was little thought put into it t begin with? Why wouldn't you remove it "just b/c some take offense"? Its not about PC, its just about respect.
I respectfully disagree with your opinion.

Also, it sounded like, in another of your responses, that you think conservativism is not your cup of tea (you chose to use different phraseology); why don’t you respect their views and values? “It’s just about respect”, correct?
Old 01-31-2018, 06:31 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Big difference between caricaturing an individual public figure and a whole group/race.
Sure

Old 01-31-2018, 06:49 PM
Barry Sloate

Would anybody care if the New York Jets or the Pittsburgh Penguins wanted to change their logos? It wouldn't elicit a peep from anyone. Companies change their logos all the time to make them more current or to improve their look.

I'm not personally offended by Chief Wahoo. Fact is, I don't care one way or the other if it stays or goes. But it's kind of old-fashioned and could definitely stand an updating. But because changing it touches on subjects like racism and political correctness, it's gotten everyone in a dizzy. It's just another sign of what's wrong with America today. The logo is just a minor part of it.

This thread has turned into a cesspool and I hate all the insulting, especially the word snowflake. Now that I find offensive. Doesn't anyone know how to have a dialogue anymore?

I also want to say Kyle May wrote one of the funniest lines I've seen on the board in a long time: "Is the Phillie Phanatic insulting to the lethargic?" Now that's a classic!
Old 01-31-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Would anybody care if the New York Jets or the Pittsburgh Penguins wanted to change their logos? It wouldn't elicit a peep from anyone. Companies change their logos all the time to make them more current or to improve their look.

I'm not personally offended by Chief Wahoo. Fact is, I don't care one way or the other if it stays or goes. But it's kind of old-fashioned and could definitely stand an updating. But because changing it touches on subjects like racism and political correctness, it's gotten everyone in a dizzy. It's just another sign of what's wrong with America today. The logo is just a minor part of it.

This thread has turned into a cesspool and I hate all the insulting, especially the word snowflake. Now that I find offensive. Doesn't anyone know how to have a dialogue anymore?

I also want to say Kyle May wrote one of the funniest lines I've seen on the board in a long time: "Is the Phillie Phanatic insulting to the lethargic?" Now that's a classic!

Social media has made intelligent dialogue an almost impossible proposition.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:53 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Thank you, thank you. Argue with humor, and always keep em laughing.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 01-31-2018, 06:59 PM
Robert

Default sad

delete......please remove Leon ......
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others

Last edited by Blackie; 01-31-2018 at 07:52 PM. Reason: snowflakes offended whom prolly never served their country
Old 01-31-2018, 07:03 PM

Can we please end this thread now?
Old 01-31-2018, 07:05 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
Thank you, thank you. Argue with humor, and always keep em laughing.
I wish I wrote that line. But you're right, sometimes we all just need to lighten up a little. And we'll all get along better, too.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:16 PM
Mike Mattsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Can we please end this thread now?
This.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:18 PM

Just turn the logo into a silhouette of Louis Sockalexis in a batting pose and we can all be happy
Old 01-31-2018, 07:23 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default This definitely crossed a line.

Leon, whether you end the thread or not, you should remove this post. Tthis guy has crossed any and all lines. Nothing else in the thread (even though I argued with some of it) has been anything like this. Doesn’t belong here.

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
I am native american and registered out of Oklahoma.......its very sad. Must be some democratic bull crap.......im not offended at all. If anything very proud of my heritage. The state of the union right now is depressing be it that liberals and snow flakes have paid to have the voice on the Communist news network CNN etc. The economy is better than ever and still CLOWNS like Nancy "i just pissed my pants" Pelosi have a say...........very sad. America wake up. Stand for the flag and knee for the Cross. Just my 10 cents but im a combat vet so im gonna say what i want.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:28 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
Just turn the logo into a silhouette of Louis Sockalexis in a batting pose and we can all be happy
Can't. Not all Native Americans look like Louis Sockalexis.

On another note, here are some of the latest articles regarding the issue from the pretty average Cleveland.com. I'm very surprised by Hoynsie's piece. I don't think he should be defending Dolan (Dolan is not only spineless, but he lied to the fan base these past couple of years), but I'm glad he goes after Manfred.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index...f_wahoo_1.html

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index...aul_dolan.html

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

Old 01-31-2018, 07:41 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Typical of your side. Call names when you can't use logic. Have a good night, snowflake.
Irony meters exploding everywhere.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:53 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Irony meters exploding everywhere.
'Ol "Tin Badge" Bretta decided to chime in with nothing useful to say as usual.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:56 PM
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn1 View Post
Leon, whether you end the thread or not, you should remove this post. Tthis guy has crossed any and all lines. Nothing else in the thread (even though I argued with some of it) has been anything like this. Doesn’t belong here.

Tim
Post removed Tim...........wishes granted.
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 01-31-2018, 07:59 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn1 View Post

Tim
Just in for the evening. I agree Tim.
Blackie (hi Blackie) has deleted his message. He knows not to talk politics. If you delete your quoting it we are back to square one. I think he let his feelings get ahold of him.
Blackie has been a really great member and this would have been an infraction. Since he removed it we'll make it an informal warning and move on. I am a second chance kind of guy.

Last edited by Leon; 01-31-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:59 PM
NewEnglandBaseBallist

"America wake up. Stand for the flag and kneel for cross."

I'm Jewish. Do I have to kneel for the cross?
Old 01-31-2018, 08:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Line in the Sand

Line in the Sand.... Anymore politics or religious talk in this thread and it's not going to be a good thing for whomever does it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sand.jpg (42.9 KB, 164 views)
Old 01-31-2018, 08:16 PM
pariah1107

Net54 is no longer an apolitical site. Good luck in all future endeavors collectors.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:17 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

This thread has gone too long without cards! Ok, so they are football. Only photos of cards on my phone.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2018, 08:54 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
You two keep throwing around words like "offensive" and "respect", but only when it fits your ideals. As a veteran, Kaepernick kneeling for the national anthem offends me and a large group of the population and we think it's disrespectful, but people like you defend his right to do so.

I realize the situations are totally different, but they're also the same in that he's (Kaepernick) doing the very same thing (offending and disrespecting) to a group of people that you're claiming Chief Wahoo does. Native Americans only represent 2% of the population. Do you think more than 2% of the population is disrespected and offended by Kaepernick kneeling?
David, Kaepernick kneeling was an example of an INDIVIDUAL expressing his right to free speech. His exercising that right offended enough people that he is currently unemployed. So it appears that the people he offended won that standoff. Now, some of the same people offended by Kaepernick, are calling others "snowflakes" for being offended by the Indian caricature.
A logo is neither speech, nor is it an expression from an individual. It is an image that represents a major league franchise. This logo is not a free speech issue.
When Kaepernick knelt, I didn't like it, but defended his right to free speech. I was not surprised or angered that he lost his job. The right to free speech protects you from GOVERNMENT action, but your employer doesn't have to put up with it. If The Indians or MLB have made a business decision, and chose to change a logo that could be viewed by some as racist, then they are as much in their rights to do it as the NFL and its execs were in blackballing Kaepernick.

Last edited by orly57; 01-31-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:51 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Good timing. Just got my tickets for an upcoming game...

clevelandindiansticket.jpg

And let me chime in by asking where does it end?? A couple of weeks ago I was on line waiting to order when some frickin' little snowflake d-bag twat looked up from his phone and snarkily said, "That's rude. Cultural appropriation." You know what he was referring to?? My throwback Buffalo Bills hat. It has the silhouette of a buffalo on it. Since I had no clue what he was talking about, I said, "What??" He pointed at my hat and said it was offensive to Native Americans. Let me reiterate, a graphic of a bison in silhouette is offensive. Never has the term 'snowflake' been more apt than here. I took my cap off to look at, because quite frankly, I was dumbfounded as to what this idiot was talking about. When I realized what the 'issue' was, I put the hat back on and got right in his f_cking face and went bananas on him. What a little, sniveling tool. As I quite loudly 'explained' that Buffalo is the name of an effin' city in Western New York and it has nothing to do with Indians or their culture, I told this, I assume, college student to go back to the classroom and continue being indoctrinated by 'professors' shoving dumbass terms like 'cultural appropriation' down his throat. Yeah, you're going to go far in life, little boy. Man, I am lucky I didn't end up in jail. The best part was a couple of people on line (one a 49'ers fan who told me she hates Buff) smiling after the pathetic worm quickly bolted, telling me, "Way to go!!"

Again, where does it end??

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 02-01-2018 at 02:31 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-31-2018, 09:54 PM

In regards to using an image of Louis Sockalexis.... he is the one they named the team after so he only has to represent himself, not all Indians.

Last edited by prewarsports; 01-31-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:00 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

I'm with you man. Guys who cry wolf on every issue really steal credibility from the valid ones. That's a huge part of the problem.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:49 AM
Kyle May

Ha! Snowflake Field. Is that the field the Indians and Twins are playing on when they travel to Puerto Rico this year.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 02-01-2018, 05:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Hey guys
Let's get back to baseball cards. *I probably shouldn't have let this thread go but it went. . All i want is world peace and harmony. Should be pretty easy....thanks everyone.