NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-05-2013, 02:37 AM
Eric N.

Default My 2013 National Experience

When Quality wins out over Quantity, but doesnt always mean "High" Grade

As i type this, it is nearing 4:00am here in New York, but feels like ONLY 3am! haha

Well, THE Show has come to an end. The collectors have gone home, as have the dealers. It's 51 weeks until The 2014 National. Yes, i am pretty sad as i am typing this.
Happened to me last year after Day Five was over, and i was back home in New York.

Here is my personal 2013 National Experience.

On Wednesday i arrived early in the day due to travel plans having to work out properly. Met up with my friend and roommate for the week, got checked in, then headed
to the show.

This year was different. i didnt have a SOLID Focus going in, but i had an idea of what i would have liked to have started working on. When i hit the show floor for the
first time, i did not get that "punch drunk" feeling that i have gotten the last three times ive gone. it was a quiet calm, almost like something in me had changed. For the
worse or for the better i suppose will only reveal it's self as time goes by.

Almost immediately i started to see people that i hadn't seen since last years show. as i would meet them, we'd talk to each other like only days had gone by, not an entire
year. its kind of surreal really. We are all in a Fraternity, a Cardboard Collecting Fraternity. Its a wonderful thing. Ive met some wonderful people in this hobby over the
years, and The National has only strengthened the bond that we all share.

Then it was time to look around. i have pretty much given up on the Leaf Paige, opting for the Bowman instead. Also, i wanted to see if i could pick up nearly perfectly
centered graded copies of Pre-War Legends, specifically the First Five Guys that were elected into the HOF. (Cobb, Ruth, Wagner, Johnson, Mathewson), plus possibly
some of the other very well know Legends. The "catch" to this Focus is that the card has to be from when they were an active MLB Player first and foremost, there is no
exception to that particular rule. The other thing is that i prefer that the players card feature an action shot. When i say "Action" that pretty much means anything other
then a portrait, as there are not all that many options for cards of the time. That last rule is not all that strict, and can be changed by myself at anytime, especially if the
Portrait looks more like the player (literally) then the "Action" Shot. The last thing, and certainly not the least thing is that the card must have as close to dead centering
as possible.

Ok, so a mixture of all the days were spent like this.... Chatting, looking, chatting, looking, meeting new people, looking, chatting, introducing new people to old people,
going to Wrigley Field, looking, buying, chatting, looking, resisting the temptation to buy cards that do not fit into my new Focus, especially on the Centering aspect.

The first four days of the show were very well attended, there were a lot of people with all kinds of teams' jerseys, etc on. it was very nice to see a pretty good number of
young children not only there, but interested and enjoying the hobby.

After Saturday, all but three of us in the Fraternity had headed home, back to the "real world". i really do miss those sons-of-brilliant people!

Sunday was disappointing as some of the dealers didnt even bother to show up, and most others started to trickle out after a few hours. by 2pm the place was pretty much
dead. Shortly thereafter i began to make my final rounds and say goodbye to my dealer friends, wish them safe travels and hope to see them again next year.

Onto my pickups (which im gathering, is the only reason that some people read these posts

i did a LOT of walking around, searching for the cards that would qualify for my new focus. i was unable to find a Paige that was reasonably priced, so that hunt goes on.

Please pardon the large pictures, but i think they are better then no scans at all, eh?

My First T206 ...

The Gehrig is interesting as a good friend of mine was the one that found it, ON SATURDAY! i know, right? go figure. i looked and looked, and missed it each time.
(Also note that it is the #160, which is known to be more "rare" then the #92)

one other thing that i forgot to add. if you are ever in that area, like steak, and are able to eat at Gibson's Steakhouse, i cannot recommend it enough. yes, it is expensive,
but WOW it is simply amazing!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my recap. i hope i was able to express and share how enjoyable it was for me, and maybe convince those that have not gone
to do so next year?

-Eric

PSA Graded Post-War HOF Rookie Card Collection - 100%!

Old 08-05-2013, 05:25 AM
m!ke kn@z@v!c

Great pick ups Eric, and great seeing you again!
Old 08-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Mark Hooks

Great pick up's Eric. Nothing like picking up some serious HOF's in one trip. I still love that Gehrig.

Mark
Old 08-05-2013, 05:53 PM
Don Hontz

Default National

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
When Quality wins out over Quantity, but doesnt always mean "High" Grade

As i type this, it is nearing 4:00am here in New York, but feels like ONLY 3am! haha

Well, THE Show has come to an end. The collectors have gone home, as have the dealers. It's 51 weeks until The 2014 National. Yes, i am pretty sad as i am typing this.
Happened to me last year after Day Five was over, and i was back home in New York.

Here is my personal 2013 National Experience.

On Wednesday i arrived early in the day due to travel plans having to work out properly. Met up with my friend and roommate for the week, got checked in, then headed
to the show.

This year was different. i didnt have a SOLID Focus going in, but i had an idea of what i would have liked to have started working on. When i hit the show floor for the
first time, i did not get that "punch drunk" feeling that i have gotten the last three times ive gone. it was a quiet calm, almost like something in me had changed. For the
worse or for the better i suppose will only reveal it's self as time goes by.

Almost immediately i started to see people that i hadn't seen since last years show. as i would meet them, we'd talk to each other like only days had gone by, not an entire
year. its kind of surreal really. We are all in a Fraternity, a Cardboard Collecting Fraternity. Its a wonderful thing. Ive met some wonderful people in this hobby over the
years, and The National has only strengthened the bond that we all share.

Then it was time to look around. i have pretty much given up on the Leaf Paige, opting for the Bowman instead. Also, i wanted to see if i could pick up nearly perfectly
centered graded copies of Pre-War Legends, specifically the First Five Guys that were elected into the HOF. (Cobb, Ruth, Wagner, Johnson, Mathewson), plus possibly
some of the other very well know Legends. The "catch" to this Focus is that the card has to be from when they were an active MLB Player first and foremost, there is no
exception to that particular rule. The other thing is that i prefer that the players card feature an action shot. When i say "Action" that pretty much means anything other
then a portrait, as there are not all that many options for cards of the time. That last rule is not all that strict, and can be changed by myself at anytime, especially if the
Portrait looks more like the player (literally) then the "Action" Shot. The last thing, and certainly not the least thing is that the card must have as close to dead centering
as possible.

Ok, so a mixture of all the days were spent like this.... Chatting, looking, chatting, looking, meeting new people, looking, chatting, introducing new people to old people,
going to Wrigley Field, looking, buying, chatting, looking, resisting the temptation to buy cards that do not fit into my new Focus, especially on the Centering aspect.

The first four days of the show were very well attended, there were a lot of people with all kinds of teams' jerseys, etc on. it was very nice to see a pretty good number of
young children not only there, but interested and enjoying the hobby.

After Saturday, all but three of us in the Fraternity had headed home, back to the "real world". i really do miss those sons-of-brilliant people!

Sunday was disappointing as some of the dealers didnt even bother to show up, and most others started to trickle out after a few hours. by 2pm the place was pretty much
dead. Shortly thereafter i began to make my final rounds and say goodbye to my dealer friends, wish them safe travels and hope to see them again next year.

Onto my pickups (which im gathering, is the only reason that some people read these posts

i did a LOT of walking around, searching for the cards that would qualify for my new focus. i was unable to find a Paige that was reasonably priced, so that hunt goes on.

Please pardon the large pictures, but i think they are better then no scans at all, eh?

My First T206 ...

The Gehrig is interesting as a good friend of mine was the one that found it, ON SATURDAY! i know, right? go figure. i looked and looked, and missed it each time.
(Also note that it is the #160, which is known to be more "rare" then the #92)

one other thing that i forgot to add. if you are ever in that area, like steak, and are able to eat at Gibson's Steakhouse, i cannot recommend it enough. yes, it is expensive,
but WOW it is simply amazing!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my recap. i hope i was able to express and share how enjoyable it was for me, and maybe convince those that have not gone
to do so next year?

-Eric
Eric nice story and scans---what dealer did u buy the Cobb from---was it in the back right area----thanks, Don
Old 08-06-2013, 06:20 AM
Matt Miller

Great cards Eric! You picked up three really big guys. See ya in Cleveland.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:43 AM
pete ullman

I had little expectations of finding my "white whales" at the nat'l...and I was not disappointed! I returned with most of my cash intact...BUT...it was priceless to finally meet so many of y'all I've had a "virtual" relationship with for years.

The Net54 dinner was awesome, as usual...except for 1 of the speakers...and thanks Leon and sponsors...for making it happen...def one of the highlights!