NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-12-2017, 05:47 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
Here ya go,

Tough choice. I'd have to go Matty and his pinpoint control. Really there's no wrong answer.
Super cards Dean....
Old 06-12-2017, 06:09 PM

Default hmmm,

Sidd Finch.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
BTW, Brian, you should also ask for forgiveness from Hank Thomas!
None required, Val or Brian. Although I never mind making his case, Walter's record speaks for itself. I love this quote from Clyde Milan from "Walter Johnson: King of the Pitchers."
"Tell you about Walter? I can tell you this. If I were manager of a team that had one game to play--the one most important ball game in all the world to play--and the good Lord called down and said, 'Milan, you can choose your own pitcher for this. Jut tell us what you want and we'll make up a pitcher to fit your specifications. He can have Matty's curve, or Rusie's speed, or Griffith's shrewdness and anything else you want.' Well, if that happened, I'd say never mind the specifications. Don't make me up anything fancy. Just send me Walter Johnson when he was about twenty-six years old, and you don't have to add even one little item. He'll do for me, thank you kindly."[/QUOTE]

It may be apocryphal but I remember reading a story where a batter, after taking three strikes from Johnson, turned to the umpire and said, the third one sounded low.

And I wish I could find an analysis I read a long time ago about how many wins Johnson and Mathewson would have had had they switched teams. A bit artificial no doubt, but I think Johnson gained 50 or so wins.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-12-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:31 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
Sidd Finch.

You Rang?

sidd finch8.jpg sidd finch6.jpg

sidd finch5.jpg sidd finch1.jpg

sidd finch7.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-13-2017, 12:06 AM
Sam Lemoine

Since I would want to win, I would take Lefty Gomez, since his team won every single World Series game in which he took the mound.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Big Game = The Big Train

Last edited by Leon; 06-15-2017 at 06:29 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:45 AM
Larry Young

If it was the worldseries....that bummgarner dude from SF 100%
Old 06-15-2017, 08:21 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Tough to select someone I have never seen pitch. Before I chose I'd want to assess their demeanor, level headedness, competitiveness, ability to use opponents aggression against them, ability to assess overall game situation, how they perform from the stretch v. regular windup. That said, I'll take Gibson.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:46 AM
Jim

I still think Ruth just because those other three may pitch a LITTLE better but couldn't hit worth a damn as compared to Ruth.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:27 AM
Sean Costello

Don't underrate Johnson as a hitter. Though he certainly wasn't Ruth, he is the only pitcher ever to hit over .400 and win 20 games in the same season.

And now some more cards for this thread:

scan0001.jpgYoung SGC 70(1).jpg

scan0011.jpg
Old 06-15-2017, 05:22 PM
Val Kehl

WaJo was frequently used as a pinch hitter.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:47 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
I'll be happy to make a public wager with you if you honestly think Kershaw won't have a sub-3.00 postseason ERA over the years 2017-2025. Quite likely you could win the bet given how small the sample will be, but probably you won't, given that regular season performance is the better predictor of postseason performance.
rats60, if you're out there, you have until Kershaw's first pitch tonight to consider the offer. In honor of great postseason pitchers, let's say a T206 Mathewson (Good-VG, any pose, any back).
Old 10-06-2017, 09:09 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I’ll take Babe Ruth (3-0, 0.7ERA). Even if he had an off day he might win the game with his bat.