NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-04-2016, 01:16 PM
Tony

Default New Member Back to Collecting

Hello everyone,

I wanted to drop a quick intro and greeting to everyone. My name is Tony, mid 40's, live in Baltimore.

Like many, I was an avid collector growing up in NY. When not playing baseball much of my childhood was spent in hobby shops, stationary stores and card shows in the early 80's. Most of that collection has died off in moves, college parties and parents downsizing. I haven't purchased a single card in about 25 years.

All that changed this summer as I hit an unexpected home run at of all places a neighborhood yard sale. I was lucky enough to come into a large stack of baseball cards all between 1961 and 1965. Since that day cards have become the obsession they were when I was kid.

A lot has changed since I was younger (didn't even know eBay was the place to go for collectors). I jumped right into the auction process and have been learning by trial and error. I've spent much more money than expected and have had to tell myself I can't replace my memories and entire collection in 3 months on eBay (my wife would kill me).

I've been reading the forum for a couple months and want to thank everyone for their knowledge, expertise and professionalism. I hope I can add to it even if in a small way.

Happy to join the group,

Tony
Old 10-04-2016, 01:34 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunzio11 View Post
Hello everyone,

I wanted to drop a quick intro and greeting to everyone. My name is Tony, mid 40's, live in Baltimore.

Like many, I was an avid collector growing up in NY. When not playing baseball much of my childhood was spent in hobby shops, stationary stores and card shows in the early 80's. Most of that collection has died off in moves, college parties and parents downsizing. I haven't purchased a single card in about 25 years.

All that changed this summer as I hit an unexpected home run at of all places a neighborhood yard sale. I was lucky enough to come into a large stack of baseball cards all between 1961 and 1965. Since that day cards have become the obsession they were when I was kid.

A lot has changed since I was younger (didn't even know eBay was the place to go for collectors). I jumped right into the auction process and have been learning by trial and error. I've spent much more money than expected and have had to tell myself I can't replace my memories and entire collection in 3 months on eBay (my wife would kill me).

I've been reading the forum for a couple months and want to thank everyone for their knowledge, expertise and professionalism. I hope I can add to it even if in a small way.

Happy to join the group,

Tony
Welcome to the site, Tony!

I can relate to the bold! This place has created a monster since I found out forums like this existed.

I even purchased my wife a couple 1959 Elvis Presley cards hoping it would take some heat off of me, but I don't think it worked, sadly.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:02 PM
Tony

Thanks Irv.

I've had to greatly narrow my focus partly because of the money, but more so I don't catch so much grief when I get home from work and there's a stack of deliveries waiting for me...haha
Old 10-04-2016, 02:20 PM
Dave_Berg

Welcome Tony, this a great place to share and learn!
Old 10-04-2016, 02:36 PM
Paul

Welcome -- I too am in my mid-40s, and was an avid collector growing up in NY. You'll fit right in!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 10-04-2016, 03:18 PM
Sc0tt Sp@id

Welcome! This place and the people are cool as they come.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:29 PM

Default Welcome

Hey welcome....a lot of smart & informed guys on this site. I hope to one of them some day.

Enjoy the ride...

Z
Old 10-04-2016, 03:35 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

What ? Your not a lurker ? Well welcome anyway
Old 10-04-2016, 04:04 PM
Donato DiVecchia

Welcome, Tony.

Donato

Nolan Ryan Topps Master Set: http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistr...?s=192675&ac=1
Old 10-04-2016, 05:05 PM
Larry

A truly hearty welcome, Tony. It is nice to see that our collector group is getting younger. I've been at it for more than 25 years and can always appreciate (though not necessarily agree with) another perspective. This is a terrific place to get rather difficult collecting questions answered, and Leon goes above and beyond the call of duty in his capacity re the forum.

May your collecting bring you joy,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 10-04-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:41 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunzio11 View Post
Thanks Irv.

I've had to greatly narrow my focus partly because of the money, but more so I don't catch so much grief when I get home from work and there's a stack of deliveries waiting for me...haha
LOL. Just last night my wife yelled downstairs to inform me, while I was on here, what I had spent the last month on baseball cards!

I knew the bill was going to be high but I didn't expect her to loudly vocalize what I had spent recently in front of my son!

I told her, which is true, that that was the reason I chose to work 3 overtime shifts last month.

She surprisingly wasn't overly upset, but I know myself I need to slow down and spend more wisely/carefully, especially with Christmas coming up, among other things.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:49 PM

Glad to have you around Tony. Good work with the finding those cards. My best find at a Charm City yard sale was a 1991 Don Mattingly.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:42 AM
Dustin Bellinger

Welcome to the board!

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:59 AM
C@rl P@rk

Welcome Tony! As far as spending money goes, just remember that PayPal Credit, eBay Bucks and eBates are your friends. When I got back in, it took me awhile to learn about this stuff and probably left hundreds of free dollars on the table from the latter two!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2016, 10:52 AM
Tony

Thanks King. I've ignored that stuff so far but will have to look into it now! My head is spinning but I'm excited and focused.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
LOL. Just last night my wife yelled downstairs to inform me, while I was on here, what I had spent the last month on baseball cards!

I knew the bill was going to be high but I didn't expect her to loudly vocalize what I had spent recently in front of my son!

I told her, which is true, that that was the reason I chose to work 3 overtime shifts last month.

She surprisingly wasn't overly upset, but I know myself I need to slow down and spend more wisely/carefully, especially with Christmas coming up, among other things.
My wife and I never combined our finances, so we don't have these kinds of issues. Not to say we don't have other issues, but after 30+ years, they seem pretty manageable.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:41 PM
cha.d car.lson

Ditto on my end. I started back collecting at 46. Got out of the hobby at 18, right at the time when they begin printing a bajillion ugly baseball cards. It's interesting how much more purchasing power we have now then we did when we were kids

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2016, 07:49 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Hello, Tony

I hope you enjoy your time on this forum. Lots of good, knowledgeable folks out here.

Raymond

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente