NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-01-2016, 03:24 PM
Richard Simon

Default Big Shakeup at PSA

Grad is gone.
New people on board.

http://www.psacard.com/Experts/
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 10-01-2016, 06:31 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Good riddance and a long time coming in my opinion. Grad was all bluster and had little to back it up except a sketchy background . He was as useful as a screen door on a submarine .
Getting Bill Corcoran on board gives them a man with great and vast knowledge and a 30 year background in the hobby with a sterling reputation. I do not believe he will be influenced by AH tactics or pressure . I hope PSA will leave Bill alone and let him do his job.
Congratulations PSA for getting Bill and congratulations to Bill , you lend PSA instant credibility again.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:50 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I heard that was coming. Rumor is that Grad wants to open his own authentication business.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrdds View Post
good riddance and a long time coming in my opinion. Grad was all bluster and had little to back it up except a sketchy background . He was as useful as a screen door on a submarine .
Getting bill corcoran on board gives them a man with great and vast knowledge and a 30 year background in the hobby with a sterling reputation. I do not believe he will be influenced by ah tactics or pressure . I hope psa will leave bill alone and let him do his job.
Congratulations psa for getting bill and congratulations to bill , you lend psa instant credibility again.
+100
Old 10-01-2016, 09:44 PM
qu@n nguy3n

looks like keating is also a full-time authenticator now...another win.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:58 AM
J Stone

Another +1 on Bill Corcoran. Super great guy, unmatched experience and as honest and ethical as they come.

Awesome pickup, PSA!
Old 10-02-2016, 12:02 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
Another +1 on Bill Corcoran. Super great guy, unmatched experience and as honest and ethical as they come.
+1
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 10-02-2016, 12:02 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
looks like keating is also a full-time authenticator now...another win.
+1
--
Old 10-02-2016, 12:03 PM

But who is actually looking at the thousands of autographs submitted? Surely not just Corcoran and Keating--if they, indeed, look at any at all.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:09 PM
Richard Simon

I have posted here in the past about my thoughts on TPA's.
Now one of the TPA companies has added two people on staff that I respect.
I know first hand about auction company pressure on TPA's.
I have experienced and successfully fought against that pressure before.
Though I have to say that some of the auction houses never attempted to exert any pressure on authenticators.
I have to believe that these guys will do the job right despite any pressure that will be placed on them by AH's and the corporate environment that they will be in.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 10-02-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:13 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
But who is actually looking at the thousands of autographs submitted? Surely not just Corcoran and Keating--if they, indeed, look at any at all.
my feeling is it's a trickle down effect, and it starts at the top. i'd have more confidence in a ruth or gehrig with the corcoran/keating name on it than grad...i don't expect them to look at the jake arriettas or roughned odors of the world. 95% of tpa is a joke anyway, there's not enough "experts" to cover the wide spectrum from the 1942 east german middle weight wrestler to the 2013 miss montenegro that they cert every day.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:23 PM
Richard Simon

Based on the page of experts on the PSA site the only two people with any experience in vintage sports autographs are Bill and Kevin.
I would hope that the company will be smart enough to only let those two handle that area.
In the past it was always a guess as to who actually examined any item.
I would hope that in the area of vintage sports ONLY Bill and Kevin will be examining those items.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 10-02-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:41 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I wish Jim Stinson could join Bill and Kevin . Then it would be like having the Big 3 or Murderers Row there. But please don't add Spence to the mix.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:43 PM
Christopher Williams

I am not a fan of Keating, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:44 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
my feeling is it's a trickle down effect, and it starts at the top. i'd have more confidence in a ruth or gehrig with the corcoran/keating name on it than grad...i don't expect them to look at the jake arriettas or roughned odors of the world. 95% of tpa is a joke anyway, there's not enough "experts" to cover the wide spectrum from the 1942 east german middle weight wrestler to the 2013 miss montenegro that they cert every day.
Chad
That is a big + 100 on that.

PS one day I will tell the story of my Addie Joss and Grad . What an uneducated ass he is/ was !!!!
Old 10-02-2016, 12:51 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I still believe on the rare stuff or high dollar stuff 1 person shouldn't have the total say but then how can you fix this system . At least PSA is trying to address the issue before it gets worse .
Who will still cert those low level and mid level autographs at PSA because Bill and Kevin can't be expected to do it all ?
I also wonder if there will be slew of resubmission to PSA now that Grad is gone.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:45 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
I wish Jim Stinson could join Bill and Kevin . Then it would be like having the Big 3 or Murderers Row there. But please don't add Spence to the mix.
Knowing Jim like I do, and especially after our prior experience at PSA, he would rather sit through a dozen root canals than work for PSA.
--
Old 10-02-2016, 01:53 PM
Richard Simon

Chad,
Can you get this picture signed ? .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg montenegro.jpg (39.5 KB, 657 views)
--
Old 10-02-2016, 03:18 PM

Default The best Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
The best thing I can say about that is Bill knows 1940's to present baseball autographs like NO OTHER , Kevin a close second or at best a tie, so they would do the best of my knowledge not differ those to a third party because that is their specialty and because they know them like no other. So if you like 3rd party opinions you will now be getting the best. In addition others have agreed to work behind the scenes because both have worked out a network of friendship over 4 decades , some people don't do this for the money. Not everyone can know everything but its a good place to start. Congrats to Bill & Kevin
Old 10-02-2016, 03:42 PM
Christopher Williams

Will Mr. Keating be giving up his job as a dealer to be an authenticator for PSA?

And Mr. Corcoran. Will he be giving up his dealer business?

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 10-02-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:57 PM
keith janosky

Glad to see Bill and Kevin on board at PSA

Last edited by keithsky; 10-02-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:00 PM
keith janosky

Maybe since Grad was on Pawn Stars he now thinks he's a TV personality. Too popular to authenticate autographs for the common folk. LOL

Last edited by keithsky; 10-02-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:02 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Will Mr. Keating be giving up his job as a dealer to be an authenticator for PSA?

And Mr. Corcoran. Will he be giving up his dealer business?
This should be interesting.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:44 AM
Richard Simon

I have heard from Bill Corcoran today and he will have to give up his private autograph dealer business in order to join PSA.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 10-03-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:37 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I hate to hear that because I always liked talking to Bill when I called and hearing his great stories and dealing with him in general.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:02 AM
Nick Barnes

I have to admit that stuff like this is why I trust y'all more than any authentication or COA group.

A- you are a combo of knowledge and many more eyes look at the item

B- we all have stuff we know a lot about without claiming ultimate authority on everything (like say I know many Braves sigs very well, but could easily be fooled by a Mantle or Ted Williams, others are totally different)

C-I collect for me, for my own enjoyment and not for resale or "value"

D- you are cheap! :-p
Old 10-03-2016, 11:32 PM
J Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
I have heard from Bill Corcoran today and he will have to give up his private autograph dealer business in order to join PSA.
Huh?

Richard - any chance you can expand on that? Certainly Keating and Reznikoff aren't or didn't have to shutter their businesses to get PSA paychecks.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:50 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
Huh?

Richard - any chance you can expand on that? Certainly Keating and Reznikoff aren't or didn't have to shutter their businesses to get PSA paychecks.
Bill and I go way back.
He e mailed me to say hello and to let me know about his move to PSA and that he will no longer be buying and selling autographs.
That is all I know.
--
Old 10-04-2016, 08:01 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This thread was moved from the (correct) autograph section.
This personnel change is a pretty big deal and could have some effect on our pre-war cards, specifically the autographed ones. I doubt it but hey, it's a segway....and an interesting story.

Last edited by Leon; 10-04-2016 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:57 AM
J Stone

Quote:
Bill and I go way back.
He e mailed me to say hello and to let me know about his move to PSA and that he will no longer be buying and selling autographs.
That is all I know.
Ah. Knowing Bill he probably made that decision on his own...because it's the right thing to do. That's the kind of guy Bill is.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:46 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Chad,
Can you get this picture signed ? .
Send it to me, I'll get it signed for you.

Could you please spell her name for me?
Old 10-04-2016, 06:22 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Send it to me, I'll get it signed for you.

Could you please spell her name for me?
--