NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-17-2011, 10:21 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Default Buying the holder: T222 Alexander

[REMOVED] This forum is done.

Last edited by bcornell; 06-21-2016 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:28 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

The T222 and T200 cards are real photos, not printed.

I always thought the image would be completely ruined if water was applied to it, just like most any real photograph.

That said the back does look washed out.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Eric Shaeffer

I see what you're talking about, but that's a heckuva nice card too either way.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Matt Hall

You've got to admit... It is a beautiful holder.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:36 PM
Jimi

Bill,

As you know I once had a nice sized collection of these beauties, and you certainly helped me along the way. During that span of time, I refused to touch a PSA graded T222.....just something fishy about the grading. It is certainly "washed out" or liquidated somehow. In my opinion, if we were to take the card out of the holder we'd certainly be able to determine it fairly quickly.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:38 PM
Jimi

Forgot to mention in the last post. The "baggy" look is terrible in the holder, too. I'd be fearing these photographs would have have the corners "flaking off" as they are sort of just floating around in the holder. I wonder how many times the owner had to tap the edge to make it look perfectly centered in the holder!
Old 02-17-2011, 11:25 PM

Default Body bag scan

Not a PSA defender but couldn't the washed out look be the result of how the icky 'bag' that encases this card reflected the light when it was scanned?

Brian
Old 02-18-2011, 06:12 AM
Frank Wakefield

More times than not, when I've broken a card out of a PSA holder where there's a sleeve or baggy involved, the card was laying atop the bag, and was not in it. Would they do that so the card image was clearer, only having to be seen through one layer of plastic, the slab? Or out of laziness or carelessness? Why?

I agree, that card looks slightly odd. I've not seen PSA getting bunches of these wrong, but I don't doubt what you say. I have seen SGC graded Fatima cards and they all seemed fine.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:20 AM
Marc S.

Bill-

What do you suggest the card be graded? Your start your post with "buying the holder", and I understand your concerns with this particular example. But I do not know what you are suggesting it should be graded instead.

For a T222, it does not appear to have significant cracking, fading, or fold lines which mar so many examples from the set. The image on the front is clear, with strong contrast, unlike the vast majority of examples that I typically see available in auctions / for sale.

From a pricing perspective, it seems like there was a steep decline in the price of this card since its last sale.

Are you suggesting that this should be in an Authentic holder? Something else?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default personally

IF I were grading the card I would not grade it above vg.....on a good day maybe vg-ex, but most likely vg. That back does look all washed out. I still remember, a year or so ago, I called a major auction house that had around 25-40 of the Frederick Foto cards in auction, all in PSA 2 holders.....except the cards didn't have borders. The guy at the auction house told me he thought they were all trimmed, as I did too.
That doesn't look like regular ole wear on the back, to me. If it was then there would be some creasing or wrinkles.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:45 AM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Marc -

I was wondering that same thing after I posted. To my eyes, this card should be in an "Auth" holder because I think it has significant damage. But I suppose someone else might say PSA 2 or some other grade.

For the sake of comparison, here are the back of 3 PSA 5 T222's. The Alexander card is sandwiched between Saier and Tyler.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:11 AM

I would venture a guess that the card was chemically removed from an album, water by itself would not wash out the back. As I recall there were a number of these on the market a couple of years ago, with the backs each faded such as this one.