NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-03-2017, 06:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Show your Baseball Ambrotypes

Newly picked up and only 157 yrs old~~

Old 06-03-2017, 10:20 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Not many exist.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:34 AM
Dan Bretta

Great Ambro!!! 14 years old in 1860...wonder if he fought in the Civil War?
Old 06-03-2017, 10:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Probably, according to this write up that was with it.

Fantastic rare historical photograph! Needless to say, baseball ambrotypes are very rare. This is an original, dated 1860 1/4 plate ambrotype of C. A. Neide at age 14. He is wearing a baseball uniform with a belt which reads either Pacific or Pacifics. Plus he has his bat with him. The attached paper on the back with his name and the date is in period handwriting. The research I did leads me to believe that he played for either the Newark Pacific or the Jersey City Pacifics. It's hard to read the side of the belt to clearly see if there is an "s" there or not. Both clubs started in 1859. The research I did on his name came up with a likely candidate being Dr. Charles A. Neide (1846-1907) who served in the civil war, became a dentist in Albany NY, was the secretary of the American Canoe Association, and wrote a book titled "The Canoe Aurora; a Cruise from the Adirondacks to the Gulf." He was described as "tall, handsome and athletic." Now as to the condition: The paper that is attached on the back has lifted up some of the black varnish backing. (On ambrotypes, black varnish was put on the back of the glass to make the image a positive.) This has created the grey blob area. Additionally there is some tarnishing in a few areas which can be seen for example on his right shirt sleeve. The old black varnish can easily be scraped off and reapplied which would improve the appearance greatly. Of course you would be removing the attached paper. I chose not to do this and to leave it to the future owner to decide. The tarnish is not repairable as far as I know. Also, the case smells a bit like old powder. Case is separated. Maybe it was stored in a drawer for a long time. The floor and I believe the white areas of the uniform were hand tinted as seen best in the photo taken with the over glass removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Great Ambro!!! 14 years old in 1860...wonder if he fought in the Civil War?

Last edited by Leon; 06-03-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:01 AM
Clint

Fantastic Leon. The best part is it's identified.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:05 PM
GaryPassamonte

Great pick up, Leon! The closest I can come is this daguerreotype of a boy holding a ball.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bballdag.jpg (69.9 KB, 247 views)
Old 06-04-2017, 12:43 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Here are two possibilities based on New York and New Jersey.

Neide , Charles A.
BATTLE UNIT NAME:
79th Regiment, New York Infantry
SIDE:
Union
COMPANY:
A
SOLDIER'S RANK IN:
Private
SOLDIER'S RANK OUT:
Commissary Sergeant
ALTERNATE NAME:
FILM NUMBER:
M551 ROLL 103

The 79th New York Infantry was originally the Highland Guards and associated with the Caledonian and St. Andrews Societies in New York City.

Major Battles:

Blackburn's Ford, Va - Bull Run, Va (1st Manassas) - Bayle's Cross Roads, Va - Bay Point, S.C - Port Royal Ferry, S.C - James Island, S.C - Secessionville, S.C - Gen Pope's Campaign, Va - Kelly's Ford, Va - Sulphur Springs, Va - Groveton, Va - Bull Run, Va (2nd Manassas) - Centreville, Va - Chantilly, Va - South Mountain, Md - Antietam, Md - Fredericksburg, Va - Vicksburg, Miss - Jackson, Miss - Siege of Knoxville, Tenn - Wilderness, Va - Spotsylvania Court House, Va - Ny River, Va - Before Petersburg and Richmond, Va - Hatcher's Run, Va - Fort Stedman, Va -
Fall of Petersburg, Va -

Neide , Charles
BATTLE UNIT NAME:
Battery C, New Jersey Light Artillery
SIDE:
Union
COMPANY:
C
SOLDIER'S RANK IN:
Private
SOLDIER'S RANK OUT:
Private
ALTERNATE NAME:
FILM NUMBER:
M550 ROLL 17
The NJ LA was organized in Hoboken, NJ in 1861 and traveled to Washington, D.C. August 20 of that year.

Major battles and postings:

SERVICE.--Duty in the Defenses of Washington, D. C., until May, 1864. Moved to Belle Plain, Va., May 11-12. Guard rebel prisoners until May 24. Siege of Petersburg June 29, 1864, to April 2, 1865. Deep Bottom July 27-Ream's Station August 25. In lines before Petersburg at Fort Hell until October 1. At Battery 16 and Fort Alexander Hays until November 22. At Fort Haskell until January 31, 1865, and at Forts Sedgwick and Hascall until April 2. Actions at Fort Sedgwick September 30, 1864. Battery 16 October 3-12. Fort Hascall November 27 and March 29, 1865. Fort Sedgwick April 1-2. Fort Stedman March 25, 1865. Appomattox Campaign March 28-April 9. Fall of Petersburg April 2. Pursuit of Lee April 5-9. At Ford's Station April 7-14, and at Wilson's Station until April 20. Moved to Washington, D. C., April 20-May 2. Grand Review May 23. Mustered out June 19, 1865.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 06-04-2017 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:01 AM

Gary

I'll match your boy with a girl with ball

photo IMG_0007-Copy5_zpse32c50cf.jpg

And I'll raise you 2 young men with ball

photo IMG_0003_zps0b40f1eb.jpg
Old 06-04-2017, 03:47 AM
GaryPassamonte

I wish mine was in the condition yours are. The little girl is so lifelike.

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 06-04-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks for showing the dags, guys. They are very cool.
After quite a bit of internet searching I found around 3 Amrbotypes of baseball. Two were in a museum (Or Library of Congress) and one was posted on this board years ago, though I am not positive it was an Ambrotype, I think it was. I know of one member who has one but it is probably buried too deep in his collection to dig out and show . I also read where Barry S (hey Barry) had mentioned in a thread years ago he thought there might be around a dozen. Does anyone have some pics of one they can at least show?

ps....Michael- thanks for the legwork. I don't think it's a far leap to go with your first example above as that is the exact name and the time frames make sense.

Last edited by Leon; 06-04-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:28 PM

Leon, really tremendous piece. It may the one you refer to, but the only one I know of has 2 people, a bat and a ball if I recall properly. Certainly there are not that many in existence.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:10 PM

Leon

This is the ambro you may be thinking of

photo AandL09-3399.jpg
Old 06-04-2017, 01:22 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Yeap....I think it was said to be an ambrotype at the time. That is a wonderful photo. Do you have any other info on it? it was that one and the 2? in David Cycleback's book that I was able to find and that was all. I am sure there are some more, only not online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman444 View Post
Leon

This is the ambro you may be thinking of

photo AandL09-3399.jpg

Last edited by Leon; 06-04-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:52 PM
GaryPassamonte

I've said this before. For my taste, that is one of the best (very) early baseball images I have seen.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:05 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Fantastic pickup Leon! Im really digging the early stuff lately. (As opposed to the latest stuff earlier )
Old 06-05-2017, 11:35 PM

Outstanding ambro Leon. You can also add a piece of black felt behind the image to make up for any loss of the black, however, the attached paper does complicate the issue.

Would love to see that boy try to swing that colossal piece of lumber.

Rob M
Old 06-06-2017, 09:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks Rob et al. I should have it in hand tomorrow,.
As I was saying to Barry S (hey Barry) I think that since this is the type of Ambro which has the black varnish type backing, instead of another piece of black glass, I will most likely do my best to preserve it exactly the way it is. I might let a conservator look at it but I can't imagine I would try to do very much to an image that has survived as well as it has for so long. My main concern is any type of deterioration. So in that respect if there is any kind of stabilizing that could be done, I would consider it. Also, taking the paper off the back might not be smart as it is quite identifying the way it is. There is virtually no leap of faith needed for the exact year and person, which seems unusual on very early baseball photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
Outstanding ambro Leon. You can also add a piece of black felt behind the image to make up for any loss of the black, however, the attached paper does complicate the issue.

Would love to see that boy try to swing that colossal piece of lumber.

Rob M
Old 06-06-2017, 05:12 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Thanks Rob et al. I should have it in hand tomorrow,.
As I was saying to Barry S (hey Barry) I think that since this is the type of Ambro which has the black varnish type backing, instead of another piece of black glass, I will most likely do my best to preserve it exactly the way it is. I might let a conservator look at it but I can't imagine I would try to do very much to an image that has survived as well as it has for so long. My main concern is any type of deterioration. So in that respect if there is any kind of stabilizing that could be done, I would consider it. Also, taking the paper off the back might not be smart as it is quite identifying the way it is. There is virtually no leap of faith needed for the exact year and person, which seems unusual on very early baseball photos.
Leon,

That photo is badass. Congrats on your rare pickup.

Ben

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 06-08-2017, 07:02 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Received the photo yesterday and it is better than expected. It really is 3D in person. I have never seen anything quite like it. I guess my title to this thread was a bit ignorant as, at the time, I didn't realize they are as rare as they are. I couldn't find, other than Cartwright (not in baseball attire) more than a total of 3 other images of baseball attired Ambrotypes. No sales found whatsoever. Once it was out of the well packaged box, I examined it and carefully put it back in the tissue and in a padded box....and in a cool safe place. As stated, I might have a conservator take a look at it to stabilize it, if possible, but most likely I will try to keep it 100% the way I got it.
it's also seems difficult to find any really old baseball photo like this with a pinpoint date. So that does make it a bit more interesting as we don't have to say "circa" and all experienced hobbyists I have chatted with say to leave the back paper the way it is. I am sure I will. This is the kind of stuff that keeps it fun for me. Happy collecting and off to the next "find".

ps...I inquired and the seller said this came from an auction they won it at. They did ask the auctioneer about its provenance as they also like to know. Unfortunately, there was none. It just walked in....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ppicture1860ambro4.jpg (75.4 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg ppicture1860ambro3.jpg (67.7 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by Leon; 06-09-2017 at 08:00 AM.