NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-22-2005, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Default W575-2 ...this is what I love about collecting

Posted By: leon

I just picked up this lot of three W575-2's. The Speaker back has a schedule on it and it is NOT pasted on. Somehow or another this strip was printed on this schedule and then obviously cut.......I love this kind of unusual stuff. Cost was about $35.00 in a group of 3 cards I got for $114.00..So collecting doesn't HAVE to be expensive......regards

Old 09-22-2005, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Cool schedule but half of it is missing- so the card was either cut from a panel of two or was part of a larger sheet that may have had other back advertising.

Old 09-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian

There was a thread a while back that several people claimed that the W575-2 were not strip cards because the cards in their collections were uniform size. I wanted at the time to put in a dissenting view, but sometimes my computer time is limited and I just didn't do it. In my collection the majority of the cards have an irregular cut. I think Leon's partial schedule back helps prove that at least some of these cards were issued in strip form.

Brian

Old 09-22-2005, 01:45 PM
Administrator

I know it's only half of a schedule. I couldn't afford the other half. Actually it's sort of like Forest Gump said with reference to cards...."Cards are like a box 'a chocolates, ya' never know what you're gonna get". I wish it was complete too. Chris- I don't remember the discussion about these not being strips but I am sure these particular cards were...I also think some of these "strip" series were printed on thicker cardboard sometimes thereby giving the appearance of not being a strip......regards

Old 09-22-2005, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

The other half probably had the away games and the rest of the ad. Now if you could find that and reunite them- that would be a find.

Old 09-22-2005, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

also calls into question the date of issue for W572-2, as it clearly was issued (or re-issued) in 1924, not 1922 as the guides may say.

Old 09-22-2005, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Tylicki

I love that Maranville card. Nice pickup Leon.

------------------------------
MY COLLECTION: http://www.rustywilly.com/MYCOLLECTION.htm

Old 09-22-2005, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

I bought this entire set last year pasted in a scrapbook as originally produced in the 1920's and they came in 2 VERY distinct sizes. From top to bottom every card measured just fine but form side to side there were thin cards and regular cards, all machine cut. Several cards including the Ruth were about a good 1/4" more narrow than the rest and I am guessing that about 1/3 of the set was narrow. No hand cutting at all, just narrow. I think this leads to the conclusion that these were probably produced and distributed to various companies who could do with them and cut them as they needed to in order to fit into various products. I would be willing to bet that these were issued in products or various uses (like Leon's card) and probably cut as needed either by hand or machine for the intended purpose of the distributor. Just my opinion but this opinion is based on finding a set that was untouched since the 1920's and completely fresh to the hobby.

Rhys Yeakley

Old 09-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Thanks for helping out Rhys. I do believe there are cards like this one, in the topic of the thread, which have different backs printed on them. After review of this schedule card, with a magnifying glass, and in a more controlled environment, I don't think the schedule is printed onto it...such as this Leader Theater card..I think it is a very thin sheet of paper that was attached very well...When I said it was printed on the card, earlier, I hadn't examined it close enough. Still, there are cards with different backs out there....and i hope to find 'em....regards

Old 09-22-2005, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Daniel Bretta

My guess is that this Barnett's company bought out a bunch of the W575-2 cards and pasted the Tigers schedules to them. Would be really cool to find a complete one, and I wouldn't doubt that someone out there has one.

Old 09-22-2005, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

Gee, the size and centering on my Maranville card is very close to yours:

Frank

Old 09-22-2005, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Do you know what thickness of stock yours is on? Mine is on very thin, but not paper, stock.....they do look very similar though....

Old 09-23-2005, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Tylicki

FYI...the title of the thread reads W572-2. The cards shown in most of the pics (inc Maranville) are W575-2's.

The W572 card has completely different measurements/attributes according to the SCD.

Old 09-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Yeah, Leon's title had me confsed too until I saw the cards. DEfinaltey w575

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 09-23-2005, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

As noted, the cards come in different sizes and on different type of card stock. Someone had me look at a bunch of them, as he was worried some might be reprints. They were all vintage, but in two distinct 'looks.'

Old 09-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Administrator

What are ya'll talking about?

Old 09-23-2005, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Leon, as my mom would say, "You know what I meant."

Whenever Leon says y'all, it reminds me of when a small town Wisconsinite friend went by himself to Arkansas. He said when the waitress looked at him and said, "How y'all doing this afternoon?," he looked around to see who she was talking to.

Old 09-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

Yes, Leon, card is thin paper stock.

Frank

Old 02-03-2016, 10:09 AM
Justin

I recently picked up a W575-2 Daubert. I thought maybe these were released over a few years since Daubert last played for Brooklyn in 1918, Rixey last played for Philly in 1920 and Marquard was only with Cinci in 1921. If these were issued in a boxed set is it assumed they just used old photos and team info on a few cards?

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/