NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-13-2018, 02:48 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Not the only Hall of Fame getting Watered Down

Janice Jackson, The Cure, Def Leppard, Stevie Nicks, Radiohead, Roxy Music and the Zombies are the 2019 Class for the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame.

The Cure is the Harold Baines of......well you get it.

and what the HELL is Roxy Music??????

Who's next.....White Lion, Dexys Midnight Runners, Billy Ray Cyrus.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:23 PM
Bob Davies

I have to say when I heard that earlier, I thought about the HOF discussion going on here.

Seems like the RRHOF is as watered down as one can get. Forget 3,000 hits, you only need a couple of hits to get into the RRHOF.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:30 PM
�tis J�hns�n

"Losing" nominees included John Prine, MC5 and Todd Rundgren.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:30 PM
Howie Schenker

Pat Benatar somehow doesn't even get nominated:

https://www.niagara-gazette.com/news...726d727ee.html
Old 12-13-2018, 04:33 PM
pete ullman

was talking about pat benatar at work today...we all assumed she was in...certainly should be!!!!
Old 12-13-2018, 04:34 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Ha. It took Rush, Moody Blues, and Yes years to get into RRHOF and now they let these in? Plus the RRHOF seems to be admitting pretty much anyone even peripherally related to RR. Last year or so was Nina Simone. Not in any way takjng away from her recognition, but she was not a RR artist. R&B, Soul, and Blues might all be better descriptors. Perhaps a separate HOF for those artists is needed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 12-13-2018, 04:41 PM
Jerry Tate

Default Deep Purple

It took Deep Purple years to get in...it's a joke....
Old 12-13-2018, 04:46 PM

The very notion of a "Hall of Fame" for an art with hundreds of genres is so ******* stupid. I'm into mostly britpop/indie, punk, post-punk, etc. Absolutely hate 1970s rock music. Many people are just the opposite. Sports halls of fame are based on interpretation of hard numbers. Music is quite the opposite. By the way, The Cure and The Zombies are awesome.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:49 PM
C@rl P@rk

Roxy Music is one of my top 5 bands of all time. Where Brian Eno cut his teeth, and they had a string of four or five flawless albums in the 70s. They've deserved induction for a long time.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2018, 04:53 PM
Bob C.

and what the HELL is Roxy Music??????

If you don't know who Roxy Music is, you probably shouldn't be commenting about rock music at all.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:56 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I agree the RRHOF is getting watered down . I can never recall when their class had less than 5 inductees. After awhile you'll get watered down doing that because there can only be so many worthy people to induct until you start inducting peripheral artists and associated groups, singers , etc...
Old 12-13-2018, 05:03 PM

Any Hall of Fame without The Smiths is not worthy to stand.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:08 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Come on now, The Cure was one of the most preeminent bands of the new wave era and they have a huge amount of great material.

Robert Smith was featured on South Park some time way back when. Cracked me up:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...A&&FORM=VRDGAR

"Disintegration is the best album ever..."

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:21 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Is Harold Baines in the Rock & Roll HOF yet?

He had a few hits.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:25 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisk View Post
Roxy Music is one of my top 5 bands of all time. Where Brian Eno cut his teeth, and they had a string of four or five flawless albums in the 70s. They've deserved induction for a long time.

In 2005, Tim de Lisle of The Guardian argued that Roxy Music are the second most influential British band after the Beatles. He wrote, "Somehow, in a landscape dominated by Led Zeppelin at one end and the Osmonds at the other, they managed to reach the Top 10 with a heady mixture of futurism, retro rock'n'roll, camp, funny noises, silly outfits, art techniques, film references and oboe solos. And although their popularity has ebbed and flowed, their influence has been strikingly consistent."[9]

Madness are among the artists that have cited Roxy Music as an influence.[47] They paid tribute to Bryan Ferry in the song "4BF" (the title is a reference to the song "2HB", itself a tribute to Humphrey Bogart from the first Roxy Music album).

In 1997, John Taylor of Duran Duran produced the tribute album Dream Home Heartaches... Remaking/Remodeling Roxy Music. The compilation features Taylor as well as Dave Gahan (Depeche Mode) and Low Pop Suicide, among others.

The earliest incarnation of the band that would eventually become Sex Pistols was called The Strand, after "Do The Strand", the opening song from Roxy Music's second album, For Your Pleasure.

The electronic band Ladytron took their name from the title of a song from Roxy Music's debut album.[48]

An antagonist character in the videogame Final Fight named Roxy (a female acrobatic fighter) is named after the band, as well as other enemy characters in the game that pay homage to someone or something related to music, like her identical partner Poison.

These are just some of the credits and influences Roxy Music had on the music world. They are a European band more than anything else, and therefore not always as well known or recognized in the U.S. Roxy Music deserves to be in the RRHOF for their album covers alone!!!!!!!

Now if the Rock Hall could only get their you-know-what together and look at Hawkwind also, then you'd get some more respect!

Last edited by BobC; 12-13-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:26 PM
Barry Sloate

I thought the same exact thing when I heard who got in this year. There is pressure for any HOF to keep inducting new members on a yearly basis. That's their biggest event of the year, so as time passes the list of inductees gets watered down. I'm not a big fan of any Hall of Fame. Come on folks, Def Leppard?
Old 12-13-2018, 05:27 PM
Sean Brennan

Amen! BOB C

QUOTE=BobC;1835712]and what the HELL is Roxy Music??????

If you don't know who Roxy Music is, you probably shouldn't be commenting about rock music at all. [/QUOTE]

Last edited by milkit1; 12-13-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:34 PM
Anson

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I thought the same exact thing when I heard who got in this year. There is pressure for any HOF to keep inducting new members on a yearly basis. That's their biggest event of the year, so as time passes the list of inductees gets watered down. I'm not a big fan of any Hall of Fame. Come on folks, Def Leppard?
They have a top 100 best-selling album of all time. Def Leppard has outsold Stevie Wonder, the Who, David Bowie, and the Beach Boys. Like it or not, they probably belong. The problem is, music is more opinion beyond the sales numbers. I can't stand Jay-Z, but he's sold a ton of music and made millions. The Baseball HOF can lean on statistics, but it still has a number of people inducted because of popularity.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
In 2005, Tim de Lisle of The Guardian argued that Roxy Music are the second most influential British band after the Beatles. He wrote, "Somehow, in a landscape dominated by Led Zeppelin at one end and the Osmonds at the other, they managed to reach the Top 10 with a heady mixture of futurism, retro rock'n'roll, camp, funny noises, silly outfits, art techniques, film references and oboe solos. And although their popularity has ebbed and flowed, their influence has been strikingly consistent."[9]

Madness are among the artists that have cited Roxy Music as an influence.[47] They paid tribute to Bryan Ferry in the song "4BF" (the title is a reference to the song "2HB", itself a tribute to Humphrey Bogart from the first Roxy Music album).

In 1997, John Taylor of Duran Duran produced the tribute album Dream Home Heartaches... Remaking/Remodeling Roxy Music. The compilation features Taylor as well as Dave Gahan (Depeche Mode) and Low Pop Suicide, among others.

The earliest incarnation of the band that would eventually become Sex Pistols was called The Strand, after "Do The Strand", the opening song from Roxy Music's second album, For Your Pleasure.

The electronic band Ladytron took their name from the title of a song from Roxy Music's debut album.[48]

An antagonist character in the videogame Final Fight named Roxy (a female acrobatic fighter) is named after the band, as well as other enemy characters in the game that pay homage to someone or something related to music, like her identical partner Poison.

These are just some of the credits and influences Roxy Music had on the music world. They are a European band more than anything else, and therefore not always as well known or recognized in the U.S. Roxy Music deserves to be in the RRHOF for their album covers alone!!!!!!!

Now if the Rock Hall could only get their you-know-what together and look at Hawkwind also, then you'd get some more respect!
And you didn't even mention Brian Eno and his influence on David Bowie, Talking Heads and U2's music among many others.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:41 PM
Fred

Quote:

Not one of my top 5, but I think they should be in. Don't forget about Bryan Ferry.

It's really not a R&R HOF. It's a MUSIC HOF. R&R, R&B, c-RAP, etc are all genres represented.

For those of you waiting for the Todd Rundgrens and Pat Benetars (and others) to be enshrined, perhaps you'll have to wait for the RRHOF Veterans Committee to meet and give them their due entry.

What about Tit Wrench...
Old 12-13-2018, 05:48 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
And you didn't even mention Brian Eno and his influence on David Bowie, Talking Heads and U2's music among many others.
Shouldn't have to, but you're right. Used to stay up late nights and listen to songs of theirs here in Cleveland on the then progressive FM station WMMS, long before they ever made it big. And again, just check out the album covers!!!!!
Old 12-13-2018, 05:51 PM
C@rl P@rk

I am also excited about Roxy getting in because I feel like a lot of folks are now going to check them out, and get to experience them for the first time, beyond Love is the Drug or More Than This. Bryan Ferry is a treasure as a singer (a voice on another spiritual plane) and songwriter (does it get any better than Mother of Pearl?). He's been making magic happen for a very long time, glad to see him getting his due stateside.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:02 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
I am also excited about Roxy getting in because I feel like a lot of folks are now going to check them out, and get to experience them for the first time, beyond Love is the Drug or More Than This. Bryan Ferry is a treasure as a singer (a voice on another spiritual plane) and songwriter (does it get any better than Mother of Pearl?). He's been making magic happen for a very long time, glad to see him getting his due stateside.

Mother of Pearl is one of my all-time favorite songs, couldn't agree more. And Both Ends Burning is also one great tune, amongst all the others.

Now like I mentioned before, they need to start looking at Hawkwind for induction!!!!
Old 12-13-2018, 06:02 PM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default Watered down

No one has mentioned the fact that concept of halls of fame itself is being watered down. The Mascot Hall of Fame will open soon in Whiting, IN.

Who should be the inaugural (that means first) class?

Bernie Brewer?

Dartmouth’s Keggy the Keg?

http://mascothalloffame.com
Old 12-13-2018, 06:05 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

One of my best ever "random music pickups" (as I like to call them) was grabbing Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music “Street Life” 20 Greatest Hits in a discount bin in the 90's. Like everyone else, I knew the hits from the "Avalon" album and a couple of other things, but songs like "Oh Yeah (On The Radio)" and "Over You" were new to me and jumped right out.

(For anybody who cares, two others great random pickups were Alice in Chains "Nothing Safe: Best Of The Box" and The Alarm's EP "Electric Folklore Live.")

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:26 PM
Chris Counts

I'd take the Cure over Harold Baines.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:36 PM

Default Absolutely Deserving

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post

"Disintegration is the best album ever..."
+1
Old 12-13-2018, 07:07 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Is Harold Baines in the Rock & Roll HOF yet?

He had a few hits.

how 'bout Ike Turner

sorry...had to...

=

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 12-13-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:16 PM
Joe

Janet Jackson? Really? Over Pat Benetar? Really?
Old 12-13-2018, 07:22 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Is there a GAR algorithm (Groups Against Replacement), so we can compare across genres? Or is it a algrhythm. I get so messed up with it all.

Last edited by Paul S; 12-13-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:58 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

When Madonna gets in before Rush, YES and the Moody Blues, do you really need more proof how stupid the RRHOF is?
Old 12-13-2018, 08:03 PM

If you're not familiar with Roxy Music, it's worth checking them out. They were a great band. Saw Brian Ferry in concert around 2000, and he put on a great show.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:29 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
When Madonna gets in before Rush, YES and the Moody Blues, do you really need more proof how stupid the RRHOF is?
Saw Rush in a local Cleveland bar back in '74 I believe. Definitely belong in the hall.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:57 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
My thoughts exactly and I've thought this for years. Way too many good/deserving bands that aren't in yet but other, far less deserving ones are.

Truthfully, I pay very little attention to the RHOF anymore nor do I follow who is getting in.
That was all lost when I heard about Madonna and yet bands like Jethro Tull, The Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, T Rex, Pat Benatar to name a few, haven't even been considered yet.

John Prine is an amazing artist and songwriter who has influenced more bands/artists than we'll ever know. Snubbing him only proves, once again, they have no idea what they are doing.

The RHOF is nothing but a joke, imo.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:58 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram99 View Post
No one has mentioned the fact that concept of halls of fame itself is being watered down. The Mascot Hall of Fame will open soon in Whiting, IN.

Who should be the inaugural (that means first) class?

Bernie Brewer?

Dartmouth’s Keggy the Keg?

http://mascothalloffame.com
The San Diego Chicken..............
Old 12-13-2018, 09:22 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
The very notion of a "Hall of Fame" for an art with hundreds of genres is so ******* stupid. I'm into mostly britpop/indie, punk, post-punk, etc. Absolutely hate 1970s rock music. Many people are just the opposite. Sports halls of fame are based on interpretation of hard numbers. Music is quite the opposite. By the way, The Cure and The Zombies are awesome.
Wow. So wrong in so many ways. To each their own, but I would say that the late 60's and most of the 70's owned rock. For the most part, with some exceptions, I think the 80's and 90"s are a musical wasteland in that regard. I can't comment beyond that because I don't willingly listen to that stuff. Also disagree with your interpretation of what sports hofs are, or should be. There is much more to it than that IMO.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:24 PM
K3v1n Stru55

The Cure and Roxy Music are both very deserving IMHO. I agree that it has become more of a Pop Music HOF than and RnR HOF though.

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 12-13-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:28 PM
Bob Andrews

Dammmit, I love Nina Simone

But your point is taken.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:30 PM
Doug Goodman

I'm a metalhead, and I don't understand how Def Leppard made it. I saw them open for Blackfoot.

And Bon Jovi? Ugh.

And fucking Radiohead? Seriously?
Old 12-13-2018, 09:38 PM
Mike

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the "Guess Who" and "Tommy James" are in the Hall of Fame and they had several hits.

Slim Whitman must be in the Hall of Fame, the advertisements stated he sold more records than The Beatles.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:45 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the "Guess Who" and "Tommy James" are in the Hall of Fame and they had several hits.

Slim Whitman must be in the Hall of Fame, the advertisements stated he sold more records than The Beatles.
Tommy James and the Shondells had two number one hits and 14 top 40 hits, and they're not in the hall. They've also had a number of their songs covered including Billy Idol's Mony Mony, and Joan Jett Crimson in Clover. If that's not enough, then take a listen to Draggin the Line while driving with the top down in summer, and try to tell me that it's not one of the greatest songs of all time. Damn, I'm up way too early drinking coffee. LOL
Old 12-14-2018, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
I'm a metalhead, and I don't understand how Def Leppard made it. I saw them open for Blackfoot.
Hysteria. That album was HUGE. I believe that tour they played 2 nights in pretty much every city.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:37 AM
Barry Sloate

I'm a cranky old-timer. Give me Jefferson Airplane or Buffalo Springfield and I'm a happy camper. Forget anything post-1970. I want the Sixties!!

Last edited by barrysloate; 12-14-2018 at 05:41 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:01 AM

The fact that KISS had to wait 20 years to get in proves what a joke the R&R HOF is. The only time I have ever been disappointed with Gene and Paul are when they accepted the nomination. I wanted them to give the R&R HOF the Johnny Rotten treatment.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:13 AM

The Cure are awesome, and very deserving.

New Order & Depeche Mode should be there too.

The above, are all very prolific, and incredibly influential bands. All of which have been making albums for almost 40 years.

PS...

Whether you agree with Ice Cube or not...this was a pretty powerful statement...

"Rock & roll is not an instrument; rock & roll is not even a style of music. Rock & roll is a spirit. … It's been going since the blues, jazz, bebop, soul, R&B, rock & roll, heavy metal, punk rock and, yes, hip-hop. And what connects us all is that spirit. …Rock & roll is not conforming to the people who came before you, but creating your own path in music and in life."

-Ice Cube, during N.W.A.'s 2016 Rock Hall induction acceptance speech

Last edited by MVSNYC; 12-14-2018 at 06:19 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I'm a cranky old-timer. Give me Jefferson Airplane or Buffalo Springfield and I'm a happy camper. Forget anything post-1970. I want the Sixties!!
+1 to Buffalo Springfield. And I saw Jefferson Starship Introducing Grace Slick, at the Hollywood Bowl Amphitheater. That might have been the best concert I have ever seen next to REO Speedwagon in Anaheim in 1980. And Jethro Tull, what an artist!!
Old 12-14-2018, 07:03 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
+1 to Buffalo Springfield. And I saw Jefferson Starship Introducing Grace Slick, at the Hollywood Bowl Amphitheater. That might have been the best concert I have ever seen next to REO Speedwagon in Anaheim in 1980. And Jethro Tull, what an artist!!
I'm more an Airplane fan than a Starship one, probably a reflection of our age difference.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I'm more an Airplane fan than a Starship one, probably a reflection of our age difference.
But they "introduced" Grace and all of them gave an unforgettable performance. Of course it didn't hurt that I was in the right state of mind for White Rabbit .
Old 12-14-2018, 07:23 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Problem with RNR HOF is there is no real definition of Rock and Roll. I have my definition and you have yours. I certainly wouldn't put someone like Janet Jackson in a million years in the RNR Hall of Fame. Or Michael Jackson for that matter. Soul, R&B, whatever but certainly not rock and roll.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
The Cure are awesome, and very deserving.

New Order & Depeche Mode should be there too.

The above, are all very prolific, and incredibly influential bands. All of which have been making albums for almost 40 years.

PS...

Whether you agree with Ice Cube or not...this was a pretty powerful statement...

"Rock & roll is not an instrument; rock & roll is not even a style of music. Rock & roll is a spirit. … It's been going since the blues, jazz, bebop, soul, R&B, rock & roll, heavy metal, punk rock and, yes, hip-hop. And what connects us all is that spirit. …Rock & roll is not conforming to the people who came before you, but creating your own path in music and in life."

-Ice Cube, during N.W.A.'s 2016 Rock Hall induction acceptance speech

+1....don't forget The Smiths