NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-20-2017, 07:03 PM
Rob

Default Bobbing heads that shouldn't exist...BUT DO!!

I have four bobbing head dolls in my Giants collection that are uncatalogued. The story I have heard is that the dolls were made by Lego, a Swiss firm, and then sent to Japan for paint and assembly. I am convinced my "phantom" nodders are the result of breakage of heads and bodies and were put together IN JAPAN from leftover pieces and parts. In the photos below, the hybrid dolls are in the center, flanked by catalogued dolls from whence the parts came.

A green square base, made from a white base, embossed "GIANTS" body and color base head. Square bases were never green and green bases were always round.

The one I just picked up with a green or gold base head and a Seattle Raniers body. The Tacoma doll shown has an embossed body, the Seattle does not. The sleeves match up to the Seattle doll, as well. The PCL nodders all have the lower glove.

A green round base with a white base head. This cap sideways head should only appear on the white bases. I have seen this same nodder with a bat, intead of the ball and glove.

A green base body with the color base head with the embossed hat.

Do you other bobbing head guys have any amalgamations to show???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-04-20 07.40.05.jpg (74.1 KB, 483 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-04-20 07.38.04.jpg (68.9 KB, 480 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-04-20 07.41.56.jpg (71.6 KB, 483 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-04-20 07.43.21.jpg (71.0 KB, 478 views)
Old 04-20-2017, 08:58 PM

I have a Green square base Minnesota Twins nodder. The green square bases were made from the left over white square bases. The green square bases are pretty difficult to find but not impossible. There are numerous variations in the early nodders. For example, with the Minnesota Twins mini's there are at least 32 different variations.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:27 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwr11 View Post
I have a Green square base Minnesota Twins nodder. The green square bases were made from the left over white square bases. The green square bases are pretty difficult to find but not impossible. There are numerous variations in the early nodders. For example, with the Minnesota Twins mini's there are at least 32 different variations.
32?

Does your green square base have a white base head?
Old 04-20-2017, 09:39 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Great stuff...

Regarding the Minis... I've always wondered why many teams have both a Regular and a Moonface variation. Did they intend to offer a variety, or did the regular versions just run out in some cases? The Mascot Head Minis only came in one style, so that makes it even more mysterious.

And why do only the Tigers and Indians Minis have a green base variation? Anybody know the reason? Many many mysteries when it comes to these Dolls.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:53 PM
Banned

I used to love the articles (and book) that Tim Hunter wrote on nodders back in the day. What ever happened to him?
Old 04-21-2017, 10:58 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Great stuff...

Regarding the Minis... I've always wondered why many teams have both a Regular and a Moonface variation. Did they intend to offer a variety, or did the regular versions just run out in some cases? The Mascot Head Minis only came in one style, so that makes it even more mysterious.

And why do only the Tigers and Indians Minis have a green base variation? Anybody know the reason? Many many mysteries when it comes to these Dolls.
Hmmm...green base mini's? Those would be hard to explain. Then again, the original poster showed green base Mays and Clemente. I'm pretty sure NONE of those exist, but who knows?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b21f8dd0.jpg (67.0 KB, 354 views)
Old 07-15-2017, 07:32 PM
Rob

This thread didn't get much traction the first time around, but I just picked up another "uncatalogued" bobber. The center guy in the photo; what I would have called a "white base head on a green base body." I just noticed something, though...

My traditional "catalogued" white base dolls both have blue in the eyes, reddish hair and a black button on their caps. My two "uncatalogued" dolls have solid black pupils, dark brown hair and orange buttons on their caps.

Maybe these "WEREN'T" a marriage of mismatched parts but were an actual short production run made between the traditional white and green base nodders
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1425.jpg (72.4 KB, 227 views)
Old 07-16-2017, 11:13 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Rob, do you know where I can get more info on bobble-heads? I have 3 gold base ones from my childhood, and would like to find out more, and possible get a few more from that era. Would be interested in finding a checklist or some documentation.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:19 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Maybe there is something more recent now.... but Tim Hunter's Book was a pretty good guide with lots of valuable info. It was the "Go To Guide" for many years. Not sure of the exact title, but am sure someone here will know.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:25 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Thanks Mark, you got me in the ballpark. Found Bobbing Head Dolls: 1960-2000 by Tim Hunter on Amazon. Looks like it's out of print, but they have several used copies. Looks like I'll pick one up soon.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:26 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Rob, do you know where I can get more info on bobble-heads? I have 3 gold base ones from my childhood, and would like to find out more, and possible get a few more from that era. Would be interested in finding a checklist or some documentation.
You can't beat this price! This one was written by Lou Crisione - a good guy and Net54 member.

https://www.hpb.com/products/warman-...-9780896892507

I'll see if Tim Hunter's book is still out there. I'm afaid it may have gone the way of the Malta bat book and Muchinsky pin book i.e. HTF and expensive.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:28 AM
Rob

totally wrong on the Tim Hunter book

https://www.amazon.com/Bobbing-Head-.../dp/0873418026
Old 07-16-2017, 11:35 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Thanks Rob. Looks like I can pick up both on Amazon fairly cheap and will be a good addition to my baseball and collecting library.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:44 AM
Mike

I have Lou's book and I can attest that its a great one. been meaning to grab Tim's book and will do so soon.

Mike