NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-05-2014, 10:50 AM
Rob

Default Hello!

Hi Guys-

My name is Rob. I've been a fan of the SF Giants since the mid-60s and have been collecting for 20 years (starting with shows and SCD). My Dad grew up in Leonia NJ and he and my grandfather were NY Giants fans. They listened to every game on the radio. My dad took me to see the SF Giants play the Reds at old Crosley Field in the mid-60s. If my allegiance between the home state Reds or Giants was muddled, it was cleared up that day when Mays, McCovey and Jim Ray Hart all went deep.

Over the past 20 years I have amassed a pretty decent collection of almost everything except cards. I usually don't collect anything after the Candlestick years just so I can limit my collection somewhat. I have over 100 game used Giants bats (I rarely buy those anymore), 220 Giants pennants (mostly vintage), 100s and 100s of pinbacks, nearly every vintage nodder and countless oddball items, publications and various ephemera. I'm on good terms with a lot of other Giants collectors including Mike, Russ, Randy, Pete, Marty, Rich, James and the late Dick Dobbins, among others. I consider myself especially knowledgeable on pinbacks and pennants (most of the Giants pics in Dave Egner's book are my pennants).

One of the great joys of collecting is gaining knowledge of the history of the memorabilia I collect. Often there is a clear timeline from NY to SF. In an effort to further my knowledge, I am going to start posting here. Even with the sharing of knowledge with my fellow Giants collectors, there are always items that stump us. Maybe it's a pennant that has turned up ONCE or a slogan on something that is unclear. Paul Muchinsky shares my desire as well as most of you, I'm sure.

That's my story in a nutshell. There is another, non baseball, forum I post in. I'm up to 12,000 posts over there. I guess it's time to get busy at N54!

Rob

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 02-05-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:35 AM
Chris Wood

Default Welcome!

Hi Rob. Welcome Sir! Great pics...awesome collection.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:43 AM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Welcome Rob. Great collection
Old 02-05-2014, 11:45 AM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Awesome collection!!

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 02-05-2014, 11:55 AM
Rob

Thanks, guys! Hopefully, this is the beginning of a mutually beneficial relationship
Old 02-05-2014, 12:04 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Great googaly moogaly, what a collection! Welcome aboard, and I look forward to hearing about some of those obscure pieces.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:14 PM
Dave_Berg

[QUOTE=thecatspajamas;1237080]Great googaly moogaly, what a collection! QUOTE]
If that is a nod to Zappa's " Nanook rubs it" on the Apostrophe album...I salute you
Old 02-05-2014, 12:31 PM
Belltown Vintage

Holy cow!!!! I hate the Giants, but that is incredibly amazing.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:47 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

[QUOTE=Stonepony;1237084]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Great googaly moogaly, what a collection! QUOTE]
If that is a nod to Zappa's " Nanook rubs it" on the Apostrophe album...I salute you
I actually thought it was something I heard in a cartoon once, but if a nod to Zappa makes me look cooler, I'll go with that
(although upon further research, I see it should have been googly moogly)
Old 02-05-2014, 01:22 PM

Default Welcome aboard!

Hi Rob,
Welcome aboard!

That's one terrific Giants collection that you've got there and very well displayed.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your posts.

BTW, do you collect Giants baseball tickets, and if yes, do you have many from the 1980's?
Old 02-05-2014, 01:45 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Hi Rob,
Welcome aboard!

That's one terrific Giants collection that you've got there and very well displayed.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your posts.

BTW, do you collect Giants baseball tickets, and if yes, do you have many from the 1980's?
Hey Scott- I don't have a lot of tickets. The ones I do have are from milestone games of Mays and, yes, Barry Bonds
Old 02-05-2014, 01:49 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

So let me get this right...You collect Giants memorabilia. Correct?

JK. Great stuff man. Welcome to Net54.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 02-05-2014, 02:47 PM
R.J. Hinners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
So let me get this right...You collect Giants memorabilia. Correct?
+1

Some great displays, Rob. Welcome!

R.J.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:23 PM
David McDonald

Welcome to Net54. Heck of a collection you've got there. Been a Giants fan since the Polo Ground Days. Took in a lot of games at the 'Stick when I lived on the Peninsula in the '80's. Snapped this pikkie from the RF upper deck when Will the Thrill and Wild Thing had their showdown in '89. Humm Baby!

Old 02-05-2014, 03:36 PM
Bill Boyd

Welcome Rob, so what do you do for a hobby?????
Old 02-05-2014, 03:43 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Welcome Rob!

I have the reverse story... born in SF, but moved to Cincy at a young age, and spent the "formative years" at Crosley Field.

Although I saw Hank Aaron get his 3,000th hit, my most vivid memory is Rose drawing a walk and sprinting to first like a scared rabbit. Also Lee May, Bench and Perez blasting homers over the giant scoreboard in left field.

We moved away on the day of the 1970 All Star Game at Riverfront (Rose barelling over Fosse). I've remained a Reds fan ever since... although temporarily lost interest in '77 when they dismanted the Big Red Machine, trading away Perez... Dummies

Anyway, I can see you've already got everything a reasonable person could offer up as potential trade! I've got some killer SF Giants Pennants, but can see you've already got those bases covered, too.

Not sure if you care about New York Giants stuff, but there are a few pennants sprinkled in here that you might enjoy seeing...

Amazing collection, and welcome aboard!

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prewar1.jpg (69.5 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg prewar2.jpg (73.7 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg prewar3.jpg (70.4 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg prewar4.jpg (66.9 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg pennant sale 304.jpg (76.7 KB, 154 views)
Old 02-05-2014, 03:59 PM
Jack T

Default Welcome!

Rob,

Welcome to Net54 and thanks for sharing a little of your story and those awesome pictures of your advanced Giants collection! You have done a great job with your displays and I am impressed that you have not only the walls covered, but the floor too!

Like your Dad, I'm from NJ too. But my Dad's allegiances fell on the other side of the river, so I ended up becoming a Yankees fan during the dry spell of the late 1960's.

You mentioned that you would like to share and expand your knowledge of Giants memorabilia. I don't mean to hijack your introductory post, but you have inspired me to share something in the hopes that you or some other knowledgeable collector could help shed some light.

I lived in Yonkers, NY for a few years; a stone's throw north of Yankee Stadium and the site of the old Polo Grounds. I met an old gentleman who was an avid fan of the NY Giants. He told me stories of going to many games with his Dad and brother, and how sad it made him when they moved.

He had a few mementos, but the only tickets he ever saved were the ones pictured below and a ticket to the July 4, 1941 Lou Gehrig Memorial game at Yankee Stadium. He told me about attending the last game at the Polo Grounds and that these were the tickets that he, his brother and Dad used to gain admission to that game! I believed him because he had no reason to lie to me and of all the games he went to in his life, he only deemed these important enough to save. Eventually, I convinced him to sell me all four of his tickets (these 3 and the Gehrig memorial).

The problem from a collector's point of view is that the tickets are not dated 1957. Which brings me, at last, to my point. Does anyone know of anything in the printing of these tickets that could confirm that they are or are not from 1957?

Any help would be appreciated.

1957_NYGiants_Last_Game_Front photo 1957_NYGiants_Last_Game_Front_zpse989ed72.jpg

1957_NYGiants_Last_Game_Back photo 1957_NYGiants_Last_Game_Back_zps1604b12c.jpg
Old 02-05-2014, 04:42 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post

Welcome to Net54. Heck of a collection you've got there. Been a Giants fan since the Polo Ground Days. Took in a lot of games at the 'Stick when I lived on the Peninsula in the '80's. Snapped this pikkie from the RF upper deck when Will the Thrill and Wild Thing had their showdown in '89. Humm Baby!

I was there as well. I was living in Vegas at the time and after Bedrosian got the last out in the 9th, we literally sprinted out to the truck for our 9 hour drive home. That Cubs series is one of my fondest memories....and we sat next to Jose Uribe's (ooo-ribay!) family for all three games
Old 02-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeFan View Post

The problem from a collector's point of view is that the tickets are not dated 1957. Which brings me, at last, to my point. Does anyone know of anything in the printing of these tickets that could confirm that they are or are not from 1957?

1957_NYGiants_Last_Game_Front photo 1957_NYGiants_Last_Game_Front_zpse989ed72.jpg

I see your dilemma.... I thought I might be able to help, but I can't . I do have an idea though.....I have many, many SF Giants ticket "presale" booklets (mailed out in the off season) and I even have one from the NY Giants for the upcoming 1948 season. These list ticket prices. Maybe, Grand Stand admission was $1.30 for 1957 only. If you can prove this, you've dated the tickets!
Old 02-05-2014, 05:00 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

Anyway, I can see you've already got everything a reasonable person could offer up as potential trade! I've got some killer SF Giants Pennants, but can see you've already got those bases covered, too.

Not sure if you care about New York Giants stuff, but there are a few pennants sprinkled in here that you might enjoy seeing...

Amazing collection, and welcome aboard!

Mark
no....YOU have the amazing collection! I remember you....you either used to sell to me or beat me on ebay (maybe both). Your NY pennants are some of the best but probably too "high end" for my blood. If you think maybe we could do some trading, shoot me a PM. I would love to see all your Giants pennants.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:00 PM

An awesome Giants collection, would love to get into the old pennants. I have a lot of the modern bobbles and have a few vintage nodders I enjoy too. The late great Jose Uribe would be happy with your moniker. Humm Baby!!
Old 02-06-2014, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Hi Guys-

My name is Rob. I've been a fan of the SF Giants since the mid-60s and have been collecting for 20 years (starting with shows and SCD). My Dad grew up in Leonia NJ and he and my grandfather were NY Giants fans. They listened to every game on the radio. My dad took me to see the SF Giants play the Reds at old Crosley Field in the mid-60s. If my allegiance between the home state Reds or Giants was muddled, it was cleared up that day when Mays, McCovey and Jim Ray Hart all went deep.

Over the past 20 years I have amassed a pretty decent collection of almost everything except cards. I usually don't collect anything after the Candlestick years just so I can limit my collection somewhat. I have over 100 game used Giants bats (I rarely buy those anymore), 220 Giants pennants (mostly vintage), 100s and 100s of pinbacks, nearly every vintage nodder and countless oddball items, publications and various ephemera. I'm on good terms with a lot of other Giants collectors including Mike, Russ, Randy, Pete, Marty, Rich, James and the late Dick Dobbins, among others. I consider myself especially knowledgeable on pinbacks and pennants (most of the Giants pics in Dave Egner's book are my pennants).

One of the great joys of collecting is gaining knowledge of the history of the memorabilia I collect. Often there is a clear timeline from NY to SF. In an effort to further my knowledge, I am going to start posting here. Even with the sharing of knowledge with my fellow Giants collectors, there are always items that stump us. Maybe it's a pennant that has turned up ONCE or a slogan on something that is unclear. Paul Muchinsky shares my desire as well as most of you, I'm sure.

That's my story in a nutshell. There is another, non baseball, forum I post in. I'm up to 12,000 posts over there. I guess it's time to get busy at N54!

Rob

Wow Rob awesome stuff! As a SF Giants Fan... I just humbly bowed in front of your pictures.....

Ricky Y
Old 02-06-2014, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeFan View Post
Rob,

Welcome to Net54 and thanks for sharing a little of your story and those awesome pictures of your advanced Giants collection! You have done a great job with your displays and I am impressed that you have not only the walls covered, but the floor too!

Like your Dad, I'm from NJ too. But my Dad's allegiances fell on the other side of the river, so I ended up becoming a Yankees fan during the dry spell of the late 1960's.

You mentioned that you would like to share and expand your knowledge of Giants memorabilia. I don't mean to hijack your introductory post, but you have inspired me to share something in the hopes that you or some other knowledgeable collector could help shed some light.

I lived in Yonkers, NY for a few years; a stone's throw north of Yankee Stadium and the site of the old Polo Grounds. I met an old gentleman who was an avid fan of the NY Giants. He told me stories of going to many games with his Dad and brother, and how sad it made him when they moved.

He had a few mementos, but the only tickets he ever saved were the ones pictured below and a ticket to the July 4, 1941 Lou Gehrig Memorial game at Yankee Stadium. He told me about attending the last game at the Polo Grounds and that these were the tickets that he, his brother and Dad used to gain admission to that game! I believed him because he had no reason to lie to me and of all the games he went to in his life, he only deemed these important enough to save. Eventually, I convinced him to sell me all four of his tickets (these 3 and the Gehrig memorial).

1957_NYGiants_Last_Game_Back photo 1957_NYGiants_Last_Game_Back_zps1604b12c.jpg
Hi Jack,
I can certainly vouch for the fact that these tickets are from the mid-late 1950's based on the numerical font and ticket price. I do believe that the last game in 1957 was game 77.

That being said, unless the patron wrote info on the ticket in pen or pencil, or the tickets were accompanied with a scorebook, program from the game it's tough to say these tickets are from precisely this game or game 77 from, say, 1955 or 1956.

I will try to keep an eye out for other tickets from this final game at NY Giants that come up for sale to give you a reference point.

I would tend to believe the man's story based on what you've described, BTW...
Old 02-06-2014, 11:04 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
no....YOU have the amazing collection! I remember you....you either used to sell to me or beat me on ebay (maybe both). Your NY pennants are some of the best but probably too "high end" for my blood. If you think maybe we could do some trading, shoot me a PM. I would love to see all your Giants pennants.
Haha... probably did a little of both

Hey Rob...

How about a tight close-up shot of how you have the pennants displayed on that vertical rack? Is that something you devised?

Looks like a nice solution for those of us who've completely run out of wall space!
Old 02-06-2014, 12:08 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

How about a tight close-up shot of how you have the pennants displayed on that vertical rack? Is that something you devised?

Looks like a nice solution for those of us who've completely run out of wall space!
Yes, I did devise that. My old "Giants Room" had a vaulted ceiling and I was able pin pin a BUNCH to the ceiling in a "fan" pattern.

This "solution" was made with some shelf brackets, stainless steel cable and crimp ends. Every sleeve has two pennants. In the second pic, you can see spring clips. I had to thread those on before crimping the ends. Then, when I was all done I realized they took up too much space and had to use wire cutters to cut every single one (except what's left) off . The spring clips probably held better and allowed for a better "swing out pivot" but oh well...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0326.jpg (75.5 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0327.jpg (75.6 KB, 128 views)
Old 02-06-2014, 12:19 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Great solution... thanks!

It looks like you'd need about 6 more houses worth of wall space, to hang all of those. As it is, I see some great ones in there, which apparently didn't make the cut (for available wall space, that is...)

Thanks for the close-up photos and explanantion... really helpful
Old 02-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Jack T

Default Game 77 tickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Hi Jack,
I can certainly vouch for the fact that these tickets are from the mid-late 1950's based on the numerical font and ticket price. I do believe that the last game in 1957 was game 77.

That being said, unless the patron wrote info on the ticket in pen or pencil, or the tickets were accompanied with a scorebook, program from the game it's tough to say these tickets are from precisely this game or game 77 from, say, 1955 or 1956.

I will try to keep an eye out for other tickets from this final game at NY Giants that come up for sale to give you a reference point.

I would tend to believe the man's story based on what you've described, BTW...
Scott - Thank you for your comments and your confirmation that they are at least from the right time period. Although I personally do not doubt they are the 1957 tickets, I obviously have a vested interest in that position!

If you do come across any others for sale, I would certainly appreciate hearing about it. Thanks Again, Jack
Old 02-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Barry Arnold

Default hello

welcome aboard!!!
amazing collection!
all the best,
barry
Old 02-06-2014, 08:09 PM

Incredible Giants room Rob. Congrats!
Beautiful nodder display, and it's obvious that a ton of thought went into maximizing your wall and display space.
Welcome to the forum.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:30 PM
Doug Goodman

As a Dodgers fan who grew up in Northern California and enjoyed seeing my favorite team (and plenty of others) at Candlestick Park, welcome to Net54.

Doug
Old 02-07-2014, 10:21 AM

Did you have pennants on the ceiling in the old room?

Last edited by jimm; 02-07-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:48 AM
Peter F

okay this is one of my favorite threads in my four years here on Net54!

Welcome Rob. Great stuff and your knowledge and passion is bursting through.

My dad spent the 1930s and 40s living just a few blocks from the Polo Grounds and now that I live in NYC about a 10 minute drive to the area, quite frequently when I have to move my car for alternate side of the street parking I will take a once around Coogans Bluff just to picture what it was like.

And then I'll swing by former site of Hilltop Park and bring it on home.

Let me know if you are in need of my KNBR Giants Bumper Sticker that I brought back from SF family vaca in 1980.

Welcome again Rob.

peter
Old 02-13-2014, 08:56 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimm View Post
Did you have pennants on the ceiling in the old room?
yeah....the better ones were on the walls. You should have seen that room when it was packed up and ready to move . The buyer said "don't worry about it"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1094.jpg (80.3 KB, 78 views)
Old 02-13-2014, 09:35 PM
Alex

Rob - welcome. Cool stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:36 PM

I saw the pic on the nodder site, got outta sf eh, hope you still hit a few games
Old 02-14-2014, 07:50 AM
Shale Levine

That is one fantastic display. I too am a Lifelong Dodger fan, but, I have some nice giants memorabilia as well. I have one room for my collection but your's is fantastic.