NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Neal

Default Hall of Famer Bob Feller in hospice

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/H...hospice-120810
Old 12-08-2010, 07:31 PM
T0dd M@rcum

That is a great man. He is certainly in the conversation when it comes to best pitcher ever. We used to kiddingly say that we had a rare Bob Feller card that WASN'T autographed...the man was so gracious in giving his signature to anyone who asked. One of my biggest thrills in baseball was, I think it was back in 1976 or so...Feller had been retired for 20 years...he came to Charleston, WV for the American Cancer Society. For two bucks you could step into the batters box and hit a ball off a real live hall of famer. I blooped one over the second baseman...so I was 1 for 1 lifetime against Major League Hall of Famers....God bless you Bob.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Chris Counts

I, too, recall collectors hiding Feller cards at a show. I saw him pitch in an old-timers game when I was about 10 in '71 or so, and he seemed to me like a man among boys (I felt the same way when I watched Nolan Ryan pitch in his prime). One of baseball's greatest pitchers ever, his stats would have looked so much more impressive if it wasn't for WWII. In fact, I believe he was first current major league to enlist after Pearl Harbor. As far as I'm concerned, he's a true American hero. Like a previous poster said, "God bless you Bob."
Old 12-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Frank Wakefield

I wish him well. He was always willing to sign, he cared about the game. All of us have our faults... but baseball is better off for having him amongst their stars.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Dave

My favorite player on my favorite team...ever. God bless you, "Rapid Robert".
Old 12-08-2010, 08:24 PM

Truly sad! A great pitcher and a great man. I am forever in debt for his service during WW II. Here is a picture of him at a show last year....he proceeded to talk to me for 10 minutes about my beloved White Sox and his service during the war. Not too many like him around anymore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bob Feller March 2009.jpg (69.1 KB, 326 views)

Last edited by Easy506; 12-08-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:52 PM

Default Mr. Feller

Back when I was driving a truck for United Van Lines to pay for culinary school, I always loved to stop off in in Iowa (Van Meter) and take a quick walk through the Bob Feller museum. It was one of the little things that kept me going as I spent 3 years in a 3.5X6 box. I was never lucky enough to see him there, but the folks would always talked about how great he was to talk with in the place. It had his high school jersey and a bunch of super great stuff from before he was the man.

I was lucky enough to talk to him at some shows back in the 80's and 90's, but never got an autograph (from anyone else either). The guys would always love it when me and dad would stand in line and pay a few bucks and never wanted anything signed. We just wanted to talk to folks for a couple minutes.

Mr. Feller is one of the finest ever, both on the field and off, as far as my opinion goes. Honestly, he is one of the top few folks that I have ever met personally, to set foot on the diamond. He is a great person, not just a fine ball player.

If he has a way to ever see the site, I would like to wish a most heartfelt thanks to the guy that has made a few days truely great for me over a span of many years. A ten or twelve year old really has a sense of knowing when someone is really happy to see them or when they are just collecting thier $. Then years down the road, when I would be burnt out from hauling loads and stress, to take a walk though his place in Van Meter was very grounding. I was able to think of the good days of my youth and see the light at the end of the tunnel (or the road).

I could go on for a very long time, so will stop short here,
Bob
Old 12-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Barry Arnold

Default feller

one of my all time favorites.
an incredible pitcher and fine person.

you are in my prayers, bob feller.

best,
barry
Old 12-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

My Feller story...(seems like everyone has one)...

About 10 years ago I was at a spring training game in Tuscon, AZ and was sitting behind two guys who were clocking the pitcher and keeping score. I struck up a conversation with them and it turned out the one keeping score was Chico Carrasquel. The other was a minor league scout who would call out the pitch speed, location, and type to Chico. We were just talking baseball and the pitcher threw a fastball that sailed in high and tight. Before the scout could even say the speed, the guy behind me says..."only about 90 and he needs to push off his back leg more"...I turn around and there is Feller. My jaw drops and spend the next three innings talking to him and listening to him describe his pitches and the new pitchers and baseball in general. It was a great afternoon.

Fast forward to three months later and I am at a show and Feller is signing. I walk up to him and say hello and before I can say anything else, he asks if I want my signature made out to "Josh or Joshua?" I was floored that he remembered me, much less my name!

Been a Feller fan ever since. A true Great (yes, capital G!). I wish him and his family all the best.

Joshua
Old 12-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Jay Shelton

What a great man and great pitcher! I grew up liking Mr. Feller through my dad, as my dad grew up in the 1940s and Bob was his favorite pitcher and player, and Cleveland was his favorite team, as it was the closest AL team to Texas (my dad did not count the Browns, evidently

We finally got a chance to meet Bob and his wife in person at an Equitable Old Timers game in Arlington back in the mid-1980s. What a wonderful experience to be with my dad as he met his "idol" from childhood. They spoke a long time, especially about the Navy, as my dad served in Korea.

This past July, while on a family driving vacation up north for the first time, we stopped off at the Bob Feller museum in Van Meter. What an experience! Two hours flew by looking over the exhibits and speaking with the nice older lady who runs the museum. I was able to purchase a signed museum Louisville Slugger Bat, signed ball, signed copy of Bob Feller's Black Book, and a seat slat from Cleveland's Municipal Stadium signed by the remaining four members of the 1948 championship team.

I would highly recommend to anyone on the forum to stop by the museum if they get a chance and purchase a copy of his Black Book, as Mr. Feller offers great insight to baseball and to life.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Banned

In the late 1970s when I was in high school, I had a table with two collecting friends at a small, monthly show at the Nazir Grotto Hall in Canton, Ohio. One Sunday as we were setting up our stuff, we noticed an older gentleman who we'd not seen at the show before talking with the promoter. The only thing the new guy was carrying was a briefcase.

After he paid his table fee, he walked over to his spot, sat down, opened the briefcase and removed two things: a homemade sign that read "Autographs $3" and a stack of 8 x 10 photos. It was Bob Feller, and he did enough business that day to return the next month.

This is a blog entry I wrote for Mike DeNero's Vintage Sportscards about how much fun those smaller, local shows were:

http://mdsportscards.blogspot.com/20...gust-2010.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg in_between_naps_-_card_show_ticket.jpg (23.6 KB, 213 views)
Old 12-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Dan Bretta

I always bristled at the notion that autograph collectors thought that Feller signed too many autographs. If that's a fault then I wish all major leaguers had that fault.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:27 PM

I've met Bob Feller several times. I've never had a positive experience with him. He's always come off as an arogant, self-absorbed idiot. I was at a mall show in Cleveland in the late 80's where Bob Feller was signing for two hours. You had to purchase tickets ($15) for the event in advance. A line quickly formed when Feller arrived. I ended up near the end of the line. For two hours, I listened to a father and his two sons (6 & 8) talk about how much they loved Mr. Feller. The kids had watched old tapes of Bobs games and talked about his throw, how much they admired him, how great he was, etc. Two hours I sat and listened to them talk. I got to Mr Feller and handed him my 8x10 and he signed it and then looked at his watch. He stood up and said, Time's up. Goodbye everyone and began to walk away. The 6 year old burst into tears. The 8 year old looked at his dad trying not to cry and asked why Mr. Feller was leaving. The dad told the kid, Times up, he has to go. There were about 12 people still left in the line. A guard put a sign on the table "No Refunds" and walked away. The 8 year old ran off after Mr. Feller yelling, "Mr. Feller, Mr. Feller, would you please sign one more for my little brother." Bob stopped, turned around, looked at the kid and said "I'll be at the X Mall show next weekend. Tell your dad to buy you another ticket" and walked away. I handed the kid my 8x10 and told him that it meant more to him than me. I lost all respect for Mr. Feller that day.

I've had a few other experiences with Mr. Feller since then, none of them positive. I can't stand the man and I will NEVER own a Bob Feller piece in my personal collection.

~OC
Old 12-09-2010, 01:28 PM

[edit]

Last edited by Ohio_Collectibles; 12-09-2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Sorry, Double posted
Old 12-09-2010, 01:41 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

I wish him the best. If it is his time I hope he doesn't have much pain. Hopefully he'll pull through. I met him once at a minor league game when he was signing. I was about 15 or 16 and he was gracious enough to sign about 8 things for me and take a picture with him all free of charge. He was very friendly and warm and seemed to like seeing a younger kid like me that was excited to see him and have such an interest in the game. It was fun meeting with him and chatting briefly. I wish him luck.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:40 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Sorry to hear that story from the '80s signing... But after reading one or two Feller books, it sounded like he went through some tough times. Maybe he had a disagreement with the guy running the signing and threatened to walk out right on time - and had to back it up. I'll reserve my Feller stories for another day. Best wishes Bob!
Old 12-10-2010, 07:16 AM
Jason Jones

Default A great Feller

Back in the early- to mid-90s, My dad and I would attend a large card show in Lilburn, GA that frequently hosted signing tables. I was 10 or 12 at the time and was one of the few kids who had a respect for the glory days of baseball and was excited when I found out that Feller was going to be there. My dad and I waited in line (it wasn't too long) and when we got to the legend, he struck up a friendly conversation with me...he smiled the whole time. I think he appreciated seeing younger people like me show an interest in the old-timers. It's one of my best baseball memories and I'll always be grateful to him for it.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:18 AM

Not just a great ball player but a great man.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Ke.n K0hen

Inevitable yet very sad. Mr. Feller threw out the first pitch at the inauguration of the Alexandria, VA little league (where I played) in 1952. He returned and did the same for the 50th anniversary in 2002. My highlight moment with him was talking about those events a couple of years ago. He appears to have lived a full and wonderful life. We wish that such men could go on forever. God bless him.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:20 PM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1937 Cleveland Indians Feller.jpg (70.8 KB, 75 views)