NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-15-2014, 01:59 PM
Chris

Default Home Run Derby Cards

Hi all,

For those that follow the pickup thread, this may seem a bit repetitive so I apologize. I did not want to hijack that thread, so I am starting a new one.

I recently picked up a near complete set of Home Run Derby cards. The only card that is missing is the host, which seems to be a bit of a trend. I've included pictures of the set below as well as highlights of some of the key cards. The Mantle is the only one that really fits into my collection, so I will be selling the rest. I am not starting this thread for purposes of selling them or else I would have placed it in the BST section. I'd really just like some advice on how to proceed.

For example, any insight on the following would be greatly appreciated:
1. Should I get some/all of the cards graded before selling? As you may be able to see from the pictures, about half of them have pin holes in them.
2. If I do get them graded, who should I use? I saw a picture of an SGC card that was an SGC 1.5 and had a pin hole. But, I know the PSA set collectors are the ones that are most likely to want these cards.
3. What would the Mantle grade out at? It has a small crease and probably a little staining like the others (my camera phone pictures are not the best). It will be taking a permanent spot in my safe but more curious than anything else.
4. What would you recommend as an avenue for selling these? I was considering BST but don't know the fair market value for the cards given the condition and limited number of sales in the past.
5. Should I sell as a lot or piece it out?

Thanks in advance for any insight. I have never graded a card before and rarely sell anything. I think in my years collecting I have only parted with three cards, and one was through a trade.

I was fortunate enough to pick up a near set of Home Run Derby cards (all but the host). For those that follow the pickup thread, this thread may seem a little duplicative so my apologies (I did not want to solicit advice there and hijack the thread). I plan to sell 18 of the cards as the Mantle is the only one that fit into my collection, my savings account

Last edited by Bestdj777; 06-15-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:07 PM
Todd Schultz

Hi Chris,

I would probably have them graded, at least the ones without pinholes, just because this set has long been reproduced and rather well (with the word reprint erased), so it would give peace of mind to the buyer. If you sold them by card the comfort level would probably be OK if the non-slabbed pin-holed cards were sold at the same time, maybe with a note that it was not worthwhile given the pinholes and obvious outcome of a max poor or fair grade.

I would lean toward selling them individually or maybe in two lots-- one with pinholes and one without, and maybe you cull out the superstars and sell them separately. A little more work of course, but probably a greater return.
I haven't priced these in years though.

What makes you think PSA collectors would be more prevalent here? The cards won't command high enough grades for the registry whales to start a feeding frenzy. Besides, I think this set looks much nicer in SGC holders, IMO.

The Mantle would top out at a 3 with SGC, maybe a 2.5. It's hard to see the little crinks that these paper-thin cards can acquire or even bends that disturb the gloss. Here's my one stab at submitting a HR Derby card-- I thought it had a shot at a 7 but learned that they are really tough on these--or they were several years ago when I was thinking of trying the set.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:05 PM
Chris

Hi Todd,

Thank you very much for weighing in and for your advice. I was thinking that PSA might be more desirable for these cards because of their oddball status. I know they are not super high grade, but I was thinking the people that would primarily be interested in the set would be those going after player master sets. It doesn't seem like they would have much appeal on an individual basis.

Beautiful card. How far did you get on the set? If I had more room in the budget and in my safe, it would be very hard for me not to want to pick up the host and complete it.

Chris

Last edited by Bestdj777; 06-15-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:46 PM

I like the two Braves guys, Mathews and Aaron!

Photobucket - http://s26.photobucket.com/user/Cardmark/library/
Old 06-16-2014, 10:31 AM

Hiya Chris,

Congratulations on this exciting acquisition! As I expressed to you before, definitely have PSA grade/authenticate them. Their MASTER SET REGISTRY will pull in the numbers you need to recoup your original purchase price so you can say you got a certain Yankee Derby card at a very reduced price.

Again, David Bryan is flawless in his execution for offering them individually on eBay. Threads announcing the grade/authentication results can be placed on the PSA Set Registry and Net54 message boards, as well as where they may be purchased if interested, or how to find their auction.

If I were a collector of a player in the Derby set, whoever he is, the Derby card is a choice want. It doesn't matter if it "ONLY" came out Authentic, because just to be able to say you have the Derby card is a badge of honor. If you try to sell them in groups, you're selling yourself short. Put yourself in their place. You're the same way. If you want Ernie Banks, you likely are not interested in the others. Even if it's Bob Cerv. Did you know there's a PSA-registered Bob Cerv master set collector? Of course, his only card is the tough '61 Topps, but I would still venture that his intentions are to some day have them all. What a peacock feather a Cerv Home Run Derby card would be to a Bob Cerv collector. On the other hand, there appears to be half a dozen PSA numerically-graded Cerv cards on eBay at the moment, so our Cerv fan will have his pick of the litter. If he insists on having a high grade Cerv Derby card to go with his high grade '61 Topps, then you're in trouble, since yours has a pinhole in the middle of the top border. No, Cerv wasn't triple-printed; he was a genuine star at the time that has just faded away in the minds of most baseball fans.

As for Banks, Killebrew, Snider, Kaline, Mays, and so on, you will likely have a dogfight for each one. Sure, some will only want a numerical grade, but a bunch of yours will get that numerical grade, while most intelligent collectors just want one and it matters not if it's "Authentic"; it's genuine.

Perhaps several type card collectors are out there who would love just to have an example to add to their collection. But they''ll have to pay accordingly 'cause they ain't giveaway cards. You know they're notoriously tough; they know they're notoriously tough.

'Nuf said. Ciao for now. --Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 06-16-2014 at 11:54 AM. Reason: This needed a bit of polishing up.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:35 PM
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamunrud View Post
I like the two Braves guys, Mathews and Aaron!
Ha Ha !

I was about to the post the same thing !
Old 06-16-2014, 08:22 PM
Chris

Thank you all. The Aaron and Matthews are great cards. I was pleased to get them with them with the lot. Brian, I really appreciate the insight as always. Your advice is very appreciated.

Last edited by Bestdj777; 06-16-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:44 AM
Chris

Thanks again for the advice everyone. I got them back from PSA this week and was rather pleased with the grades. The Mantle got a 2 and most of the other premium cards in the set got 2s or 3s.

Anyone have any suggestions on selling? I listed them on the BST for now but likely won't sell many on there. I was considering listing them on eBay in a couple of days but am open and appreciative of any suggestions. I'll likely avoid using a consigner because I don't mind putting in the leg work myself.

Thanks,

Chris