NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-25-2013, 07:21 PM

Default Lengendary Lot #69 correction

Legendary Auctions Lot #69 1870s Mathew Brady CDV - Sam and Harry Wright is misdated. It's an 1860s, Civil War era CDV. Legendary/SGC dated it as 1870s because A & H.T. Anthony Company was incorporated in 1877, which apparently they thought meant that was when the company started. This incorporation date is correct, but the company was in business for years earlier, including throughout the 1860s, under that name.

I said this via email to Legendary but never heard back.

I considered waiting until after the auction for the benefit of the bidders, but also know the consignor's a nice guy and is due consideration.

Interestingly, this CDV was dated c. 1865 in past actions, which is correct.

Last edited by drc; 02-25-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:19 PM
Doug Allen

Default Thanks!

Appreciate the feedback. We will make the correction. In the future email me directly dallen@legendaryauctions.com I checked with my staff and we never got your email.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:32 PM

Got it. I wasn't sure who to contact, and sent it to a generic email on your website. Clearly, an honest dating error as my dating makes for a more expensive item.

Last edited by drc; 02-26-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:42 AM

On a side note, I'm conservative and strict about what I'd call a trading card and what some consider 'baseball cards' I do not. I don't consider a studio CDV for private ownership to be a trading card, as trading cards are supposed to be commercially available to the general public. Having said that, in my opinion, this CDV would qualify as a trading card. I say this because E & H.T. Company was a big commercial enterprise and made CDVs of famous people and scenes to be sold to the public, and I believe this particular CDV was made for public sale. They made many CDVs of folks like Abe Lincoln and U.S. Grant along with stereoviews for public consumption. They were also one of the biggest commercial distributers of photographic equipment and even published a photography industry trade newsletter. In a business deal with legendary Civil War photographer Mathew Brady, E & H.T. Anthony obtained many original Brady glass negatives which they used for commercial purposes, in particular for publicly sold CDVs of famous or otherwise notable people . If you collect Civil War photos, you will find CDVs of Generals, famous statesmen and Civil War era celebrities (novelists, stage actors, industrialists, etc) with the Anthony/Brady stamp on back. The Wright CDV is one these.

In my opinion, this CDV is more clearly a trading card than the recent the 1865 Brooklyn photo. Though the Brooklyn photo is more clearly a baseball image. There is an obvious cricket motif in the Wright CDV, and I'm sure some will call it a cricket card (though with a future famous baseball player). Though the dueling and somewhat ambiguous father/son cricket/baseball identity gives it a historical depth and richness and represents the origins of baseball and of baseball cards. If baseball card collectors hate ambiguity and only want simple, clean cut answers ('Is it a baseball card?' 'Is it the first ever baseball card'), they should stick with 1978 Topps. I've half-jokingly called earliest baseball cards "baseball card theory."

Last edited by drc; 02-26-2013 at 02:12 PM.