NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-18-2018, 09:33 AM
Mac Wubben

Default Homemade Cards and Year ID help

I won the lot that included this bunch of homemade cards in the recent Huggins auction. I recognized the T222 and t202. Looks like the others are from newspaper or magazine? Anybody know the date of the Ruth image or the source publication for the other cards?

Thanks,

Mac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0012.jpg (74.7 KB, 427 views)
Old 11-20-2018, 05:12 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

My gut tells me they could be newer fantasy pieces but not sure. So they are on paper stock and not card stock? Were they sold as newer, reprint types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcmac View Post
I won the lot that included this bunch of homemade cards in the recent Huggins auction. I recognized the T222 and t202. Looks like the others are from newspaper or magazine? Anybody know the date of the Ruth image or the source publication for the other cards?

Thanks,

Mac
Old 11-28-2018, 10:29 AM
Mac Wubben

Here are some back scans. It appears that they were part of a larger collection of mostly A's/Philadelphia stuff that had a lot of t205/t206 type stuff as well. I would be very surprised if they were modern. The collection appears to date 1911-1914 (with the t206 and Fatimas setting the boundry). It is a little surprising that Ruth would be in the group though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0019.jpg (77.7 KB, 243 views)
Old 11-28-2018, 10:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I am guessing the fronts might be modern, or maybe period ad cuts at best, and the backs are hacked up real cards. Then glued together to make a nice fantasy card (if those are the backs of the cards first shown). To the specific question of where the fronts came from, hopefully someone will know....?

Last edited by Leon; 11-28-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:19 AM
Mac Wubben

I like skepticism and think all cards should be questioned, but do you think someone recently cut up a T222 grover alexander for a fantasy piece, then gathered a bunch of period philadelphia a's players photos, combined them with period backs, found period glue, practiced old-timey writing for almost worthless fantasy pieces? I should add that there are t207's and a large collection of Cracker Jacks that were also in the collection and auctioned seperately. I don't think these are valuable...mostly just interesting relics from the period. Thanks for the response in any case...I would still love to find any original version of any of the photos. Check back next week and maybe one of them will be autographed ;-)
Old 11-28-2018, 11:45 AM

What's under the glued on photos? Any seams that give hints?
Old 11-28-2018, 11:52 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Mac, I have no idea what you paid for them, but they look awesome to me.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:14 AM
Jerry Tate

Default Cool

Mac those are cool cards...I wonder with a Maranville in there if they could have been "made" in the 30s....possibly cut out from books or magazines from that time....anything later than that I don't think he would have been included.....Jerry
Old 11-30-2018, 06:44 AM
Mac Wubben

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrinus View Post
Mac those are cool cards...I wonder with a Maranville in there if they could have been "made" in the 30s....possibly cut out from books or magazines from that time....anything later than that I don't think he would have been included.....Jerry

Maranville was with the Boston Braves from 1912-1920, so I'd say they are from that period (you can see the B on his jersey). The Fatimas are from that era as well. I did peek at all the polar bear backs in the lot...no hidden gems used as paper stock.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I didn't realize some are real photo fronts. Good luck on finding where the front images are from otherwise....

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcmac View Post
I like skepticism and think all cards should be questioned, but do you think someone recently cut up a T222 grover alexander for a fantasy piece, then gathered a bunch of period philadelphia a's players photos, combined them with period backs, found period glue, practiced old-timey writing for almost worthless fantasy pieces? I should add that there are t207's and a large collection of Cracker Jacks that were also in the collection and auctioned seperately. I don't think these are valuable...mostly just interesting relics from the period. Thanks for the response in any case...I would still love to find any original version of any of the photos. Check back next week and maybe one of them will be autographed ;-)

Last edited by Leon; 11-30-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:25 AM
Charles Mandel

Are they available? Charles Mandel