NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-17-2010, 07:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Type Collecting?

So another board member and I were just emailing and he said he is going to start "type collecting". Now, I know that the old timers are all set collectors but I think us new guys (to collecting) have just as much fun hunting for the cards we enjoy (and many times don't even know exist until we find them). I collect by ACC number first, and everything pre-1950 baseball. Then I go into uncataloged cards, then backs and then I go for cards I just like . IS there really any rhyme or reason to our madness? Any type collectors out there that care to explain your focus (or lack of)? best regards
Old 08-17-2010, 07:52 AM
pete ullman

Personally...i got the idea to type collect from the old sport americana price guides from my childhood. I can't remember the edition but one of them had color photos in the center of type cards from barry halper's collection of the more basic types ie. e90-1-e107, similar for tobacco. In retrospect I don't recall how complete the types were...but...this is when I decided to be a type collector...albeit one on a tight childlike budget. So this remains my goal...as complete a run of T, E, D as possible...although I question it all of the time.

I'm down to needing a handful of very expensive ones which I'll most likely never be able to aquire. I like the idea of having one of each card to examine...study...compare with others the paper thickness, gloss, size, etc. With grading this has become less practical/easy to do unfortunately. I have no aspirations of a Leon-like type collection as I could never afford it...but I think it is AWESOME!!!!

Last edited by ullmandds; 08-17-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:53 AM
R@y H0lmes

I'm squarely in the type camp myself. There are just so many cards that I love across so many sets, I find it really hard to focus on a single one. Another aspect of this, and probably the main thing, is that I can't ever bring myself to spend money on all the 'commons' within any set, especially those I that I don't like the aesthetics of. Too many great single cards out there and too little resources for that!
Old 08-17-2010, 07:54 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

These days, I am mostly described as a team collector but I still think I am a type collector...I collect every Phillie from 1880-1990. I just prefer the Phillies and I know they are not in every set but they are in most. I love flipping the pages of my binders and seeing all the different sets. It is tough though because I often wait for a Phillie to show up on a particular set. I guess I am in it for the long run.

Joshua
Old 08-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Matt Wieder

For the most part, I'm a hybrid type/HOF player collector - one card per player and only 1 card of each type.

Last edited by Matt; 08-17-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:28 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

If you don't want to own a card from every single set ever made and you also own a few multiple examples from certain sets that you really like, is that still considered type collecting?

What's the difference between type collecting and just buying cards that you like (just not necessarily complete sets).
Old 08-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Jeff

There are a few sets that I am focused on multiple copies/players of with the dream to someday complete. I have completed some of the smaller caramel sets and 30's premium sets. Now I have really migrated to team sets (Philly A's) and HOF type cards.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:02 AM
Johnny S

There is no method to the madness, only the madness.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:06 AM
R@y H0lmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
If you don't want to own a card from every single set ever made and you also own a few multiple examples from certain sets that you really like, is that still considered type collecting?

What's the difference between type collecting and just buying cards that you like (just not necessarily complete sets).
Good question, and I guess technically I'm not so much a type collector as a buy-whatever-I-like collector...sort of like the see-food diet (see food, eat it).

I do tend to have mostly one card per type though, or two...and consciously try to keep it that way...so in the space between type and set collector I certainly fall closer to type.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post

First answer to the first question, to me, is "Yes". It's still type collecting but with a focus.

Secondly, there isn't a lot of difference but if I had to guess it would be that there is a tad more focus to a "type set" even though it's a relative term, than just buying cards you like. There is a blurring of the lines for me though. Not long ago, when Lipset had those cool 1915 W-Uncs, I wanted just 1 of a single player as I already had a team card, So I would have one of each (team and single player). Now I have Matty, Thorpe and two different team cards. And yes, it's because I liked them not because I needed them for the type set. I think my first statement was about my focus, then the last thing I said was "cards I just like ". To me that is all the fun of collecting. We can do whatever makes us happy. And while on the subject of being happy while collecting.....I will reiterate that I had a few good conversations with Jim Crandall at the National. He really enjoys what he does and the way he collects. How could anyone fault a guy for that? I still need to get him over here and debate with us again...
Old 08-17-2010, 10:03 AM

I find that I have purchased cards as "types" like the D311s or 1911 and 1912 Zeenuts and have ended up collecting the whole frigging set. It just happens
Old 08-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Barry Arnold

Default type

I knew while i was taming the Monster that i would choose type collecting next because there were so many non-t206 cards along the way that i had to let pass(and didn't want to!) while being singleminded about the Monster.
Having the one set under my belt means alot to me(i still give them their time at least a couple times a week) and now being on the
Type Journey means a great deal to me as well.
I collect using the ACC and am choosing my favs from 1903-36. At first,
i thought i'd do it decade by decade and largely did this, trying to pick up at least one representative from each year. At first, i also thought that i might
focus on 1903-1910 since this was the era of my beloved T206s and thought i didn't really want the strips, photographs/black and whites from the 20's and 30's but boy was i wrong. Some of the strips were so unique that i couldn't pass them up and what great fun it has been to get those fun food/gum cards with talk of ice cream, Wheaties, Holsum bread,the Gargantuan player in the Delong stadium,etc. And i must add that along the way that i have added a touch of provenance to my types---
making sure to pick up a few Nagy,Lionel Carter candies along the way.
I think i'm around 135 or so different types now, behind Leon around 999,865
or so. But i've got time. And with type collecting,there sure ain't no hurry. And i still have some cig packs to find!!!
all the best,
barry

Last edited by ethicsprof; 08-17-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:55 AM

I used to collect only post-WW2 cards for sets that I was working on (Topps from 52-79, and OPC from 65-69). Just over a year ago, I purchased a T206 Isbell at a local card shop, and became hooked on pre-war cards.

I decided on building a type set for my favorite team (Chicago Amer.); I'm 43 cards into it right now and I'm having a blast!

Unfortunately, I couldn't stop at having just one card from a few sets...so now I'm trying to put together a few team sets (T205 and T206) with each card having a different back. So far, I have 5 T205's and 16 T206's.

I'm just afraid that I won't be able to stop there, and I'll eventually try to assemble T205 and T206 team super sets...
Old 08-17-2010, 12:05 PM

Default Type Card Collecting

Leon:

I have traditionally not been a type card collector. Previously, I have collected sets. However, as I've gotten into cards that I had no idea even existed - owning an example of this cards has had great appeal. In fact, I have a great deal of fun going over all the various players/types/styles of cards with my children.

Leon, there is something to your way of collecting!

Zach Wheat
Old 08-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Yankeefan51

Default You are just our type

We have been serious investors in pre WWII type cards since early 1975

When we first entered the hobby our two main contacts were two young teenagers, Bill Mastro and Rob Lifson.They each advised to collect the best examples one could, and that condition
and rarity really matters.

Whilst we had one or two personal setbacks which resulted in the sale of 100+ultra rare typecards- today we have built our collection back up. Of the more than 500 different type cards (different years for 1952-1959 Topps,
and rare regionals) we now have 75% are pre WWII.

In more than 40 cases we own the highest graded example in the set.
More recently we have extended out interest to post cards- and have recently acquired 10 different ultra rare high grade post cards.

Our goal is simple- to build the single best baseball card and baseball postcard collection in the world. We will continue to work every day to meet
this goal.

Please feel free to write us if you have an item for sale or trade.

Thanks

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List
bdorskind@dorskindgroup.com
Old 08-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Nice! Which postcards Bruce?
Old 08-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Rhett Yeakley

I was much more of a type card collector a few years back BUT unlike Leon I was never 100% happy with that approach, but it was fun. However, having been a type guy I was able to channel my collection towards a few sets that I felt had a lot to be researched and discovered so I ended up going for Colgan's, Zeenuts, E121-like cards, etc. So, type collecting for me was more of a starting point than anything else, and I always advocate that approach to anyone that asks as I never knew I really liked certain sets until I actually had some (Zeenuts, T210, T209, etc.), and often I thought I would like a set only to find out they didn't do much for me (M116, E96, etc.)!
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 08-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Brandon Bailey

I've thought the big difference between set collectors and type collectors is OCD vs ADD. Eventually I think you become a bit of both, if you can't find that one or few cards to finish a set, I still find something else to collect.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Gr.eg Per.ry

I'm mainly a sub-set collector: T206 HOFers, T205 HOFers, N162 Baseball players, N28 baseball players, T212 Obak Seattle players, etc.

I always think, "I'm going to finish these sets, and then I'm just going to start a type collection set." And then I get another idea for a great new sub-set.

One thing that discourages me from a type collection pre-war set is that it is so daunting, there are so many cards and many are so rare and expensive ones that it would be an impossible and lifelong pursuit to have a card from each set. But I guess that's the fun of it.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

I kinda had Rhett's approach, in that i started young as a type collector but then ended up collecting sets of the ones I really liked (exhibits, e93, T210-3etc) and selling the types I really didnt like. I think getting into vintage by working on a type collection is an awesome way to start, getting to see and feel all the different issues is the best.

On the collect what you like front- I have been pretty good about maintaining my focus on my sets but I do allow myself a couple "Ohh thats a cool card" and just buy random cards I like a couple times a year.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Bill T.

I'm with Joshua--a team collector all the way. Only for me it's Washington rather than the Phil As. I started out intending to be strictly a type collector, but that lasted about a month before I turned to subsets--the T206s and T205s were just too good to have only one.

I've found some really interesting items over the years that wouldn't have interested me a bit if I were going after sets. And us team collectors face a dilemma that set guys don't: What if the name and the picture don't match? Do I go after a "Howard Shanks" 1921 Exhibit that really shows Wally Schang?

I will admit to being a little fuzzy around the edges; I bought a Barney Pelty horizontal T206 just because I think the "Close Encounters" pose is one of the best ever.

My goal at shows (the few I go to) is to complete one subset, and start another. I managed that at the National, completing the 54 Bowmans and starting the Demaree cutouts.

Bill
Old 08-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

I am an inveterate type collector and have been for a while. My main focus is not really apropos here (a run of Topps types sold at retail from 49-80, sports and non sports alike) but I have partially started T and E card runs as well. My main focus is T206 in almost full set form but I really like going after the different types.

I once was going to do a full ACC and beyond type run but that would be impossible. I did create a huge spreadsheet for that purpose that is still floating around the internet (www.oldbaseball.com has a copy) and which I someday hope to really get into shape but I have too many projects going right now.

I just like the idea of all the variety inherent in the method, plus with the Topps stuff I want to document everything as well.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Well, I guess you could call me a type collector in the sense that I decided some time ago that for financial reasons set collecting on prewar wasn't realistic for me but I still wanted to play, so I decided to get a few examples that I really enjoy from the prewar sets I like. In some cases I just kept the cards I already had accumulated.

I usually prefer to get a popular or HOF player over a common, all other things being equal. Just not that interested in having a card of No-Names in my collection.

My Lefty O'Doul collection has become a type collection of sorts since he is in many sets of the 1930s and many PCL sets that I otherwise have no interest in collecting.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Barry Arnold

Default Dave H

i just took a look at your type checklist as well as your narrative re: Burdick,
etc.
Very nicely done---and a great deal of work and fine contribution to the hobby.

many thanks,
best,
barry
Old 08-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Ron Rice

Default Type Collecting

Leon and some of the other type collectors have amazing collections. They are fun to look at, and they are a service to the hobby because it's great to identify rare issues. There are a tremendous number of issues between 1916-1929 that I never knew existed!

Myself, I have examples from most of the prewar sets, but I'm not trying to collect one of every type. I'm collecting a few sets, and then I have just a few from other sets. I like looking for reasonable deals on cards that I like the looks of. I also like collecting cards of players I've heard of, from my research & reading.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:52 PM

Hi Leon,

I kind of really decided to go the way of the type card route after I found this message board and saw your collection.

My initial inspiration was looking at my old copy of Sports Americana and saw Barry Halper's collection and decided to get some of those type of cards and those in that catalogue. My goal was to get one HOF card or a really good looking player photo or design from major card issues.....and early on decided to get them in "collector" grade so as to be able to not only collect more, but also leave enough $'s in my pocket. Luckily this was in the early 80's so cards were still relatively cheap... that's how I ended up with 52 T Mantle, 33Goudey Ruth and a T207 Lowdermilk. From there, I started to focus on the major E card series and then to Exhibits and so forth....

I have few rules and criteria....but its not always set in stone..lol. For example in some issues I don't really care too much about back variations so I only have 3 T206 cards (one regular player card, one minor league and one horizontal pose)...but for Exhibit cards, I look for examples that have coupon offers, ads or post card backs...

For cards that come with tabs or coupons I like to get those that are intact..

It's really been a fun journey so far..and with type cards I never get bored!

Ricky Y
Old 08-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyy View Post
for Exhibit cards, I look for examples that have coupon offers, ads or post card backs...
Ricky Y
Careful, they're addictive as hell. Before you know it your office is filled with original art, uncut sheets and your wife wondering WTF she's going to do with all that "crap" after you die.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-18-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethicsprof View Post
i just took a look at your type checklist as well as your narrative re: Burdick,
etc.
Very nicely done---and a great deal of work and fine contribution to the hobby.

many thanks,
best,
barry
Thanks Barry!

I think if Leon and I and a couple others joined forces on an update we could come up with a comprehensive list or at least a good chunk of it and then have specialists in each specific category add on... Tempus fugit though....maybe in my golden years!
Old 08-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default would be fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
Thanks Barry!

I think if Leon and I and a couple others joined forces on an update we could come up with a comprehensive list or at least a good chunk of it and then have specialists in each specific category add on... Tempus fugit though....maybe in my golden years!

It would be a fun undertaking, for sure. And yes, I think the golden years would be an appropriate time frame, in keeping with the "Burdick" tradition .

I never get tired of seeing this letter, front and back, by Burdick.....regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poburdickletterfront.jpg (71.6 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg poburdickletterback.jpg (71.4 KB, 186 views)
Old 08-18-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Careful, they're addictive as hell. Before you know it your office is filled with original art, uncut sheets and your wife wondering WTF she's going to do with all that "crap" after you die.
Actually Adam its too late! I have to thank (or blame?) you as well...your exhibit site got me hooked really bad.....its the one series of cards that I collect now outside of the type card realm...

Ricky Y
Old 08-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Barry Arnold

Default burdick

great idea Dave and Leon!!!
after reading several pieces regarding Burdick's life and seeing how his health deterioriated during his incredible work on the ACC, you may want to begin now at the cusp of your golden years so that your body won't end up so gnarled and handicapped as our hero Burdick's did.
all the best,
barry
great Burdick notes/letter, Leon. those are keepers forever!
Old 08-19-2010, 05:51 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethicsprof View Post
great idea Dave and Leon!!!
after reading several pieces regarding Burdick's life and seeing how his health deterioriated during his incredible work on the ACC, you may want to begin now at the cusp of your golden years so that your body won't end up so gnarled and handicapped as our hero Burdick's did.
all the best,
barry
great Burdick notes/letter, Leon. those are keepers forever!
Some mornings I feel pretty gnarled....still in awe of what Burdick did in his final years.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Val Kehl

Default Leon, please don't encourage folks ...

to become "type-card collectors," because there is already too much competition for me!! FYI, I don't consider you to be my competition, because you already have examples of 99.9% of all the type cards that exist! Whenever I need to rekindle my enthusiasm for type-card collecting (which is very seldom!), all I do is have another online look at your collection and I am wired to go!

When I resurrected my childhood collection (that Mom didn't toss, thank goodness) the mid-1980s, I focused on completing the 1950s & 1960s Topps and Bowman sets. But, after discovering that there were all sorts of really neat cards going all the way back to the 19th Century and after trading Bill Huggins some 1960 Topps for a T207 WAJO, I was hooked on vintage cards. From the late 1980s onward, it was first WAJO cards, then Sam Rice (he had the greatest non-pitcher career with the Senators, IMO) cards, then type cards (if WAJO or Rice is not in a set, then I look for any Washington player, or at least someone who played for Washington at some point in his career).

Yes, I would enjoy collecting lotsa vintage sets as well as type cards, but one has to keep in mind one's available resources and make tough choices! But, I am working on a few Washington subsets - e.g., N172s, E120s, and 1925 Holland Creameries.

Seriously, I encourage all bb card collectors, especially the newbies to vintage cards, to give type-card collecting a try - it's lotsa fun and a great card-history-learning experience!
Val