NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-03-2009, 02:22 AM
Joann

Default Question on Buttercream Ruth in REA

Lot 6 Buttercream Ruth is graded as Auth. The lot description says that it is not evident why it got this grade - whatever it was that SGC saw had to be pretty subtle.

The Ruth was apparently submitted along with the 12 cards in Lot 7 because they had all come from the same find. Many of the cards in Lot 7 were much more clearly hand cut from a sheet (as opposed to trimmed).

So. Did the Ruth have a lesser chance of getting a numerical grade in its own right because it was sent in with a group of cards with clear indicia of hand-cut edges? Should it have gone in separately? Should the other 12 cards have been sent in after the Ruth was graded, or maybe even not until next auction?

On the other hand, a few cards in the larger lot did get numerical grades, which is a surprise to me.

I guess the question is whether a grader's judgment is affected by the other cards that came in as a group. Note that even if one grader does not get the whole group, it would be impossible that they all wouldn't be aware of a bunch of Buttercreams that came in with a Ruth even if the cards didn't all go to the same grader.

Anyone know how this works or have an opinion on not sending in a key card with a larger group that has visual problems?

Joann
Old 05-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default my experience

My experience has been that grading companies will look at all of the facts surrounding a card, including what the circumstances of "how" it's being came about. On a few different occasions I have sent exemplar cards with cards to be graded. That wasn't the particular situation here as all came from the same find and the ones I have sent in, except for the Trucker Boy find, were only similar cards from the same series. I know I am a big proponent of all kinds of provenance and the more the merrier. The recent E100 printer scraps I acquired came from the same shoebox of 400 PCL cards, of which many of them got sold in REA last night. There were E100 type ones and type 2's and we just don't see too many collections like that. (at least not that I have seen in my limited time in the hobby). Had those printers scraps come from Ohio and were the only things being sold I would have been much more suspect. The short answer is I think the grading companies will take into account different circumstances but at the end of the day the card does have to stand on its own.